Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sad to say it but the kid of wet winter the whole west needs to clobber this drought is gonna cause many billions in damage.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
probably need at least a handful of likely devastating wet and stormy winters at this point

Reactions: Mr Doof

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
We've been monitoring the situation for at least 7 years. We'll keep monitoring it, that way it'll stay monitored. When we try action it ends in failure.

• Haha
Reactions: Clayster and Subway

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
funnysad how this thread mirrors the inherent dichotomy of the human vs nature dilemma. being of the earth our thought processes and decisions should be rooted in what best for the earth, but we all know that is hardly the case.

human civilisation has flourished in what has been a relatively rainfall abundant period in geologic history. perhaps the pendulum has begun to swing the other way. perhaps aided by elevated co2 levels. perhaps not. but when talking heads freak on last years drought or the past 3,4 or 5 dry years its hard not to roll your eyes at the lack of prrspective humans display when the environment runs counter to human needs.

i think balidiot pretty much nails here-

http://instagr.am/p/CXtT1xyp3Dp/

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
but when talking heads freak on last years drought or the past 3,4 or 5 dry years its hard not to roll your eyes at the lack of prrspective humans display when the environment runs counter to human needs.

i think balidiot pretty much nails here-

http://instagr.am/p/CXtT1xyp3Dp/
Except it’s not 3-5 years. It’s a 20 year trend only getting worse.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Except it’s not 3-5 years. It’s a 20 year trend only getting worse.

We need to get control of our emotions here. First of all, Brian Fuchs' project can't really tell you anything about drought from groundwater levels unless you know the rate of human consumption of groundwater, which has to be calibrated and measured. You can tell the rate of rainfall in an area from those other satellites (Aqua and Terra) if you carefully carve-out irrigated agricultural zones, and then the uncertainty would be large. If you used the rate of human consumption in agricultural areas along with the rate of rainfall, the With that large uncertainty, you might be able to calculate something about drought from GRACE-FO but - again - the uncertainty would be large/huge.

How long have they had satellites like this in orbit to train their climate model?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is good.

To me, killing off agriculture is foolish in the extreme. We're already seeing global competition for food and famine is a regime-ending event. That said, I don't see how there's enough water to keep watering all of those fields unless we switch to crops that grow in almost a desert. Way above my pay grade.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
As a native Californian, I suggest we reexamine the crops that we grow - duh. Any crop that is super water intensive - like onions, potatoes and almonds, .. figure out plan B for these and other thirsty crops. More so, shut down all the massive marijuana grows.

Desalination plants have a litany of issues, but are needed.

Reactions: npsp

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
In addition to raising the height and storage level of the San Vicente dam, the San Diego County Water Authority also built the Olivenhain dam and reservoir. The two projects along with their pump stations make up the bulk of the Authority's Emergency Storage Project. The goal is for the County to be able to store enough water that in the case of any emergency that cuts off the Authority's ability to import water from outside the County, the County will have enough reserves to supply the region for 6-12 months depending on usage restrictions. They are also working on the design to add a an additional smaller reservoir above San Vicente to be used as a pumped/hydro battery. They have a similar system between Olivenhain and San Vicente.
I believe the eco/green faction is against the San Vicente project for some reason or another....

Oroville had to be repaired as its spillway was severely damaged and the dam was at risk to be undermined and breached if the spillway was not repaired.

I believe they are now lowering the level of Lake Hodges to repair that dam before this winter.

For all of its faults as a region, San Diego County has its $hit together water wise much more so than other regions in the State.
I'm surprised with all the federal infrastructure dollars floating around and the governors constant chatter about California having a budget surplus no one has come up with a plan to fund the repair, expansion, or new reservoirs. This is one of those things that should be a federal priority given the countries reliance on California for things like food, tech, transportation.

The last thing this state should worry about is water and power. It's almost like neglecting both is a purposeful act for a ends justifies the means equation.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Question, can the California govt really dictate to farmers what they can and cannot grow? A future without almonds does sound a hell of a lot better than a future without showers.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm surprised with all the federal infrastructure dollars floating around and the governors constant chatter about California having a budget surplus no one has come up with a plan to fund the repair, expansion, or new reservoirs. This is one of those things that should be a federal priority given the countries reliance on California for things like food, tech, transportation.

The last thing this state should worry about is water and power. It's almost like neglecting both is a purposeful act for a ends justifies the means equation.
Hypothetically, if we doubled the reservoirs, how long could we supply California under current usage and for how many years? Seems like we don't know how long this drought is going to last.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Question, can the California govt really dictate to farmers what they can and cannot grow? A future without almonds does sound a hell of a lot better than a future without showers.
Probably not. "Right to Farm" acts are pretty much universal across the states and would be a legal shitshow to challenge. However they can certainly tax water extraction from wells and divert deliveries to those who do not have established water rights.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Even if they could changing the Ag infrastructure is decades in the making.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
As a native Californian, I suggest we reexamine the crops that we grow - duh. Any crop that is super water intensive - like onions, potatoes and almonds, .. figure out plan B for these and other thirsty crops. More so, shut down all the massive marijuana grows.

Desalination plants have a litany of issues, but are needed.
"we" don't grow crops, sole proprietors llc's and corporations ( ie private enterprises) grow crops. and while california govt has some serious entitlement issues, dictating ag what crops they can grow shouldn't become the next expression of sacramentos overreach.

what a farm decides to grow is a private business decision balancing production costs and potential gains. farmers dont grow almonds because they love growing almonds (though i am sure some do) they grow them because it yields the most profit for their acreage.

Reactions: grapedrink