Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Ok, we've been watching it for 7 years and done nothing to remediate the situation. What actions could we take? I already minimize my lawn watering and I shower once a week whether I need it or not ;)
I mentioned a couple above, by they have to do with urban water use, which grapedrink I think rightly stated was a small percentage of overall use, agriculture being the biggest user. Agriculture will eventually have to adapt to new realities. Maybe grow dates instead of almonds?

We've been watching CNN's Stanley Tucci "Searching for Italy." The most interesting segment, for me, was when he interviewed some young farmers in Umbria, who were already crossing a drought and heat resistant tomato (with no taste) with a tasty variety to get a drought resistant tasty tomato. Not waiting for the crisis to get worse but getting ahead of the curve.

How then did we beat the world's dominant army and naval power at the time?
The sleeping giant woke up.

Also, a different generation.

Have you read about the 442nd? The Japanese American regiment recruited from the internment camps? Do you think an aggrieved population today would have their reaction to injustice?

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The power of advertising my fren, eets hexspensive for a reason

now excuse me, but apparently One Wave Changes everything (as long as you’re wearing your Oakley’s)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I mentioned a couple above, by they have to do with urban water use, which grapedrink I think rightly stated was a small percentage of overall use, agriculture being the biggest user. Agriculture will eventually have to adapt to new realities. Maybe grow dates instead of almonds?
Right, they're going to shut off the water to ag as they've been doing. It's a $50 billion/year industry, which is only 2% of the state's GDP. The real source of its GDP is its people. I guess we're a big FIRE state now and, of course, we can always grow ed/government.

1655608946831.png

The sleeping giant woke up.
Grim Economic Realities

Also, a different generation.

Have you read about the 442nd? The Japanese American regiment recruited from the internment camps? Do you think an aggrieved population today would have their reaction to injustice?
We were talking about 1776, not the Second World War.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I’m just catching up on better call saul but apparently you can survive in the desert hiking 21 miles by drinking your own urine, so we should start saving our Pee. Or pray for El Niño.
I’ve already been praying for El Niño and it hasn’t done anything

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
HB just gave desalination a big NO

When was the last time CA built a water reservoir?
All the smart assholes in Sacramento waste our money on stupid sh!t (like high speed trains that go to nowhere)

Total Urban water usage in the state is less than 10%
So if every resident works on cutting water usage by 15% we'll be sitting pretty

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Cut back on water waste. Sorry, no more laws. Design houses, parking lots, streets, sidewalks, etc. to save a lot of the rainwater runoff. Most rainwater runoff will push sewage to filtering and processing plants for water recycling. Every house should have rainwater storage of a few thousand gallons, under the house. Rain that runs off the roof and concrete walkways, driveways, and margins around the house, channel water down drains for storage and filtration, under the house. We should start soaking up rainwater like a sponge.

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I realize what I am about to say isn't a long term fix, but..each Californian needs to conserve. There are ways to do it.

Take a "marine" shower. Get wet, turn off the water, soap up and wash, then turn the water back on and rinse.

Don't flush if you pee for a day. Then flush. Poop, ok, its gotta go.

When brushing your teeth or washing your hands, shut down the water while you do said task, then turn the water on to finish.

Always think about turning off the faucet immediately, regardless of what you are doing.

Don't water your lawn. Xeriscape with plants that need very little -if any -water.

In a state with a large population like California, it can make a difference.

You can cut your individual water consumption in half, with no pain.
I do my part by brushing my teeth in the shower. Conversationalist out.

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Those preaching population growth are spot on. We aren’t getting any less or more rain than the previous century. El Niños and drought patterns have have more or less always been the same, the difference is the massive suck on the resources over the past 50 years that have caused the problem. If they keep building and people keep coming to suck off a finite resource we are doomed, which is pretty much the case already. Seems pretty fucking obvious.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
HB just gave desalination a big NO

When was the last time CA built a water reservoir?
All the smart assholes in Sacramento waste our money on stupid sh!t (like high speed trains that go to nowhere)

Total Urban water usage in the state is less than 10%
So if every resident works on cutting water usage by 15% we'll be sitting pretty
How many desal plants and reactors could we have built for the $100 billion we spent on that?

Those preaching population growth are spot on. We aren’t getting any less or more rain than the previous century. El Niños and drought patterns have have more or less always been the same, the difference is the massive suck on the resources over the past 50 years that have caused the problem. If they keep building and people keep coming to suck off a finite resource we are doomed, which is pretty much the case already. Seems pretty fucking obvious.
TFRs for American women are below replacement. Our population growth is due to immigration. Something like 25% of the US population is foreign-born. Can I put you down as as immigration restrictionist?

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Its amazing when you fly, how much of this country is undeveloped. People are like sheep and like to live in crowded spaces.
The problem is how to earn a living out in flyover country. You're not going to compete with agribusiness on cash crops that lose money most years. You can grow niche crops or organic but you have to sell to restaurants. Mining is another option. How do you earn a living in the boonies when most of our economy is FIRE and professional services, whatever the hell that means?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Somehow we have to convince millions of remote digital nomads that it’s cool to work in Topeka

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD