Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Most synthetic fields are still installed with irrigation rotors, to cool down the turf on really hot days. Kinda weird to think that irrigation is still needed on fake grass. :socrazy:
Yeah why can't we just breed a drought-tolerant form of grass? How does it make sense for me to tear up my lawn and spend thousands on a bunch of oil-based plastics that decompose in the sun rather than just reduce watering or plant some drought-tolerant fescues?

At any rate, it's becoming more clear that water mismanagement is killing us rather than the drought itself.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Isn't it all agraculter using the water?

I hardly don't use no water and could use less.

I don't get how shower water aint used for the shitter

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Yeah why can't we just breed a drought-tolerant form of grass? How does it make sense for me to tear up my lawn and spend thousands on a bunch of oil-based plastics that decompose in the sun rather than just reduce watering or plant some drought-tolerant fescues?

At any rate, it's becoming more clear that water mismanagement is killing us rather than the drought itself.
There's quite a few native drought-resistant turf types. Some are summer deciduous, though, or just don't have a consistent growth needed for athletic fields. Might be okay for your lawn, if you can put up with browning and uneven growth.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
All of the native California grasses are drought tolerant however they don't stay green when it's dry. I've bought the native grass seed mix before and liked it. It will dry out for months and look dead, then come right back once it gets some water, just like the hills :beer:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
There's a business opportunity for someone to develop and install grey water and rain catchment systems, get the heads up on the competition and then lobby for such systems to be mandated in building codes. Just saying.
If governments truly cared about any of these 'problems' building code would have incorporated any or all of this long ago to reflect as such. Never happened, guess why?

Same with the energy 'crisis'.

:crazy2:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
There's a business opportunity for someone to develop and install grey water and rain catchment systems, get the heads up on the competition and then lobby for such systems to be mandated in building codes. Just saying.
There are several companies doing that right now on the grey water front. Rain water catchment/retention is becoming a requirement throughout the State. In many cities it is now part of the building code for new construction and/or remodel work to install measures to eliminate runoff from a property.

You'd think with CA's liberal leanings, grey water would be a no brainer. That noted, there are some issues with grey water systems that make them a little more difficult to operate than a rain catchment/retention system.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
There are several companies doing that right now on the grey water front. Rain water catchment/retention is becoming a requirement throughout the State. In many cities it is now part of the building code for new construction and/or remodel work to install measures to eliminate runoff from a property.

You'd think with CA's liberal leanings, grey water would be a no brainer. That noted, there are some issues with grey water systems that make them a little more difficult to operate than a rain catchment/retention system.
Hair? :shrug:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Detergents and organic solids are the main issues. The Shower and laundry grey water is the easiest/most practical for reuse as long as you are using the correct soaps/detergents. Dishwasher and sink grey water is difficult as you are often discharging solids.