LA Sewage Spill

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Dirty little not-so-secret here.

17 million gallons is 6% of what that plant discharges DAILY.

The difference here is that this particular load of raw sewage was released 1 mile from shore instead of the usual 5.
It’s funny when you purposely omit key information to try and make some kind of gotcha.

I don’t mean funny in a good way though.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It’s funny when you purposely omit key information to try and make some kind of gotcha.

I don’t mean funny in a good way though.

“Through the Hyperion treatment plant in El Segundo, the city of Los Angeles contributes 42.5% of Southern California's daily output of 1 billion gallons of sewage. Of this 425-million-gallon share, only 100 million gallons -- less than 25% -- receives secondary treatment, which removes suspended solids missed by primary treatment. When suspended solids are removed, so are most of the toxins, which adhere to them.

All 425 million gallons a day are pumped through a common pipe that ends five miles off Santa Monica beach in 180 feet of water. This effluent is only 60% free of toxins because only 25% of it has undergone secondary treatment. If the entire output had received secondary treatment, 90% of the toxins would have been removed.”

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Yes thank you for proving my point.
I think you are confused. It seems that this sewage treatment plant has been dumping a sh!t pile-literally- of sewage into the Pacific for decades. While this current spill is clearly not good, it seems like it is a minor blip compared with what has historically been going on. And will continue to go on.

Perhaps you can explain.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Dirty little not-so-secret here.

17 million gallons is 6% of what that plant discharges DAILY.

The difference here is that this particular load of raw sewage was released 1 mile from shore instead of the usual 5.
Can you explain to us in your own words the difference between Raw and Treated Sewage?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think you are confused. It seems that this sewage treatment plant has been dumping a sh!t pile-literally- of sewage into the Pacific for decades. While this current spill is clearly not good, it seems like it is a minor blip compared with what has historically been going on. And will continue to go on.

Perhaps you can explain.
He’s pro-sewage apparently.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

Perhaps you can explain.
oh, here's another expert!

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

“Through the Hyperion treatment plant in El Segundo, the city of Los Angeles contributes 42.5% of Southern California's daily output of 1 billion gallons of sewage. Of this 425-million-gallon share, only 100 million gallons -- less than 25% -- receives secondary treatment, which removes suspended solids missed by primary treatment. When suspended solids are removed, so are most of the toxins, which adhere to them.

All 425 million gallons a day are pumped through a common pipe that ends five miles off Santa Monica beach in 180 feet of water. This effluent is only 60% free of toxins because only 25% of it has undergone secondary treatment. If the entire output had received secondary treatment, 90% of the toxins would have been removed.”

If this were true, LACOSAN would be in severe violation of the Clean Water Act and would be getting massive daily fines for violating the terms of their permit.
Your quoted source is misleading. Secondary treatment is biological treatment where aerobic and anaerobic bacteria consume the majority of the organic material not removed in the primary treatment phase. Prior to discharge, this secondary effluent has been clarified/settled, filtered and disinfected. This is a Clean Water Act requirement for all wastewater treatment plants discharging into open water (Pt. Loma being the exception, but the SD PURE Water project will remedy that).

Maybe the author was mistakenly referring to the 25% of Hyperion's effluent that goes to West Basin for tertiary treatment and reuse as cooling, process and irrigation water for the areas various refineries, golf courses, etc...

Reactions: Kento and afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
speaking of which, WTF is going on at the golf course right now?!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If this were true, LACOSAN would be in severe violation of the Clean Water Act and would be getting massive daily fines for violating the terms of their permit.
Your quoted source is misleading. Secondary treatment is biological treatment where aerobic and anaerobic bacteria consume the majority of the organic material not removed in the primary treatment phase. Prior to discharge, this secondary effluent has been clarified/settled, filtered and disinfected. This is a Clean Water Act requirement for all wastewater treatment plants discharging into open water (Pt. Loma being the exception, but the SD PURE Water project will remedy that).

Maybe the author was mistakenly referring to the 25% of Hyperion's effluent that goes to West Basin for tertiary treatment and reuse as cooling, process and irrigation water for the areas various refineries, golf courses, etc...
They have an EPA 301(h) waiver.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

Perhaps you can explain.
Well the explanation is already there, so not a whole lot more to explain.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Per the terms of their waiver, they upgraded to biological treatment in 2009 or 2010.
At this time Pt. Loma and maybe Sand Island? are the only plant(s) in the US to hold a 301(h) waiver allowing them to discharge advanced primary treated effluent off the coast. That will end as the City's waiver will not be renewed and the City is developing their PURE Water indirect potable reuse system as a solution.

Reactions: afoaf

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I surfed somewhere south of there on Monday morning and as I was driving home along Highland above Dockweiler I noticed it smelled even more pungent than usual.
If I may be so bold, (FYI), from Culver Blvd and all the way to 45th St in El Porto that long stretch is called Vista Del Mar and not Highland Ave. Highland starts at 45th St.
There use to be big street races that went on from the traffic light coming out of El Segundo to the 2nd driveway on the right into the Hyperion Plant. That was the 1/4 mile ending. The Chevron station at 45th St was the staging area for the races and "tune up" stop before moving to the El Segundo traffic light.
Cops finally got wise and would block off the only exit from Vista Del Mar on Imperial Hwy and wait and ticket the "drag racers." (LA County Sheriffs). Early 1960's to mid 60's.
The races later moved to the Manchester On Ramp in Westchester where the race would start at the bottom of the on ramp, run down the long straight a way parallel to the freeway and the second bridge over the on ramp, was the 1/4 mile ending. Traffic light to traffic light on Hawthorne Blvd was always a hoot.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 10.36.29.png

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Re: OP ... Home treatment plants water the garden with them. In buildings, sane same, water community garden. In public areas, same, just larger, water public gardens.

Recycling water. It's a thing.