L.A.'s coast was once a DDT dumping ground

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
on a side note, what was the pollution that caused those lifeguards to get cancer at bay street in santa monica? pretty crazy how they all got some form of it. pico kenter storm drain,

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
DDT was dumped off PV from about Lunada Bay to Cabrillo back in the 50's and 60's.

It basically turned the bottom dwelling sea life into a cemetary for decades. South PV became an underwater wasteland, where even the kelp took decades to come back.

I surfed it in the 70's and you could still tell there was something wrong with the lack of sea life out there.
not calling bs on the ddt off pv, because both can be true. but im pretty certain the wasteland off south pv in the 50's-70's was a result of the la wastewater outflow at white point.

at least that what they taught us at lunada bay elementary school in the 70's. even watched a film about it mr cha's 5th grade class. i believed it then and still do now.

Reactions: afoaf

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
not calling bs on the ddt off pv, because both can be true. but im pretty certain the wasteland off south pv in the 50's-70's was a result of the la wastewater outflow at white point.

at least that what they taught us at lunada bay elementary school in the 70's. even watched a film about it mr cha's 5th grade class. i believed it then and still do now.
Yes, that's where the DDT was dumped from. DDT was dumped in the sewers by Montrose Chemical and flushed out off Whites Point 2 miles offshore near Pt. Fermin.

That, PCB's, other chemicals and oil refinery chemicals have been dumped into Santa Monica bay around that same period for decades. The entire Santa Monica bay was a dumping ground back then, and still is for treated sewage of millions of LA basin inhabitants. Think of of all the industry in the LA/OC basin, and chemicals used to manufacture products.

It's a 100x worse in the 3rd world, where they don't even TRY to treat it before it goes in the ocean, rivers, lakes and land-fills.

While we wring our hands, tax and fee over climate change, toxic pollution in our oceans, lands, and waterways goes on for decades unnoticed.

"look! over there! the sky is falling" while corpo's and the public itself dumps plastic trash and toxic chemicals into storm drains and sewers and they run out to sea unchecked and untreated.:foreheadslap:

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto

I had Mr Cha in 8th grade at Margate. We all got taught about the waster treatment plant. I remember the kelp reforestation in Abablone Cove, my mother was a big advocate.

Sadly, toxins are a byproduct of our societies success.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I had Mr Cha in 8th grade at Margate. We all got taught about the waster treatment plant. I remember the kelp reforestation in Abablone Cove, my mother was a big advocate.

Sadly, toxins are a byproduct of our societies success.
you must of had him for pe. i think he lasted a year, maybe 2, as a 5th grade teacher.

his class was pure pandemonium. but so much fun for a group of rowdy 10-11 year olds. bean ball, kite flying days, nature hikes across the road to the crystal cove and lb, rad take no prisoners rubber band and broken paper clip wars with cha sniping kids from under his desk.

kids/parents today have no idea about what 5th grade should be.

mr cha was rad when you think back on it. perpetually tan, rode his bike from hermosa to lb everyday to work. used to roll in with a bag of carrots in his backpack and make carrot juice in class before he start us off with morning cartoons on the film projector.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
While we wring our hands, tax and fee over climate change, toxic pollution in our oceans, lands, and waterways goes on for decades unnoticed.

"look! over there! the sky is falling" while corpo's and the public itself dumps plastic trash and toxic chemicals into storm drains and sewers and they run out to sea unchecked and untreated.:foreheadslap:
you are such a cluck, man

the amount of remediation around trapping solids and treating outflow is tremendous

which is to say nothing of the absolutely ridiculous logic of NOT addressing one problem
because you don't like the solutions employed for an entirely different problem.

FFS...that's just dumb

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
industrial chemicals pesticides petroleum etc were only part of the problem at whites point. the real devastation was from sedimentation smothering the sea floor

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
industrial chemicals pesticides petroleum etc were only part of the problem at whites point. the real devastation was from sedimentation smothering the sea floor
Yes, that toxic pollutant enriched sedimentation just turned the bottom off coast off South PV into a lifeless wasteland for decades.

During large seas, rain and surf events the waters off PV coast were a skanky brown. Even during drought winters, it never got very clear. Only during the calmest of summer months did the waters off there get clear enough to dive in.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
you are such a cluck, man

the amount of remediation around trapping solids and treating outflow is tremendous

which is to say nothing of the absolutely ridiculous logic of NOT addressing one problem
because you don't like the solutions employed for an entirely different problem.

FFS...that's just dumb
You fail to mention all the street and gutter run-off with toxic cocktails from assorted industry, dumping and autos going DIRECTLY into the ocean every winter with absolute NO remediation or treatments.

LA/OC has yet to figure out a way to treat street/highway run-off.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You fail to mention all the street and gutter run-off with toxic cocktails from assorted industry, dumping and autos going DIRECTLY into the ocean every winter with absolute NO remediation or treatments.

What do you think SWPPPs and BMPs are all about?

As far as treating vehicular runoff, we can always officially enact the practice of fining people washing their cars in their driveways. Believe some people claimed this as fascist at one point, though.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

that's because it doesn't ALL GO IN TO THE OCEAN

cities have implemented treatment solutions

there are active capture solutions in play at ballona and herondo

manhattan rejiggered their storm drain system such that the outflows barely
pop anymore outside of the biggest rain events by redirecting it in to sewer
system that flows to hyperion

which is to say nothing of the underlying logical fallacy....we're not supposed
to do anything about global warming because we're not sufficiently addressing
(retrofitting) storm drain outflow?

your facts are wrong AND your beating-the-same-dead-horse premise is stupid

Reactions: Woke AF and Kento

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
all those pesticides, and still so many pests in the water of LA

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Yes, that toxic pollutant enriched sedimentation just turned the bottom off coast off South PV into a lifeless wasteland for decades.

During large seas, rain and surf events the waters off PV coast were a skanky brown. Even during drought winters, it never got very clear. Only during the calmest of summer months did the waters off there get clear enough to dive in.
spent my entire gromhood snd then some surfing sailing and grnerally fucking around in pv waters. "skanky brown" isnt how i remember them.

your among friends here sdog. tell us. where did they touch you

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Yes, some local beach towns have installed some filtering for low flow average situations. Good for them, but watch how they do when it actually rains.

Come the first solid rain of the winter, and it's flush the entire LA/OC basin into Ballona, San Gabriel, LA and Santa Ana rivers (and assorted smaller urban creeks) and diversion doesn't even come into play, as it overwhelms the treatment plants.

And, it's not just car washing adding to the run-off nearly as much as overwatering/overspray sprinkler systems in both public and private properties (fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, etc;).

Never said "not do anything" at all regarding global warming. That's your projection again.

My comment was how actual toxic pollutants in our environment will harm and kill MANY times over the amount of humans and animals, than ANY effects of AGW the last 30 years, and the next 30-50 years.

Priorities are twisted, by polluting corpo's and politician buddies portraying themselves as "Green" advocates. All talk and no action in controlling ACTUAL toxic pollution. Greenhouse gases get all the attention (which the natural environment creates 97% to our 2-3% max). Or just ship it all (manufacturing) to 3rd world countries (where they do nothing to mitigate), so we don't have to see it in our own backyards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waterlogged05

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
spent my entire gromhood snd then some surfing sailing and grnerally fucking around in pv waters. "skanky brown" isnt how i remember them.

your among friends here sdog. tell us. where did they touch you
It's a hell of a lot better now, like the air quality, than it was in the 60's and 70's.

Are you as old a timer as I am to actually remember how you couldn't see the mountains the entire summer each year due horrendous smog daily in the 60's/70's into mid 80's? Hell you couldn't see the mountains right behind you if in downtown Pasadena, it was so bad.

Most would never know they existed if they didn't see them during fall and winter.

Reactions: keenfish

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
It's a hell of a lot better now, like the air quality, than it was in the 60's and 70's.

Are you as old a timer as I am to actually remember how you couldn't see the mountains the entire summer each year due horrendous smog daily in the 60's/70's into mid 80's? Hell you couldn't see the mountains right behind you if in downtown Pasadena, it was so bad.

Most would never know they existed if they didn't see them during fall and winter.
pvhs class of '81, so pretty much

Last edited:
Reactions: Surfdog