L.A. Homelessness...

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
The problem is way too vast. It's so much more than just a housing issue and there is no single solution that will ever fix it.
yes, i agree. you’d need to build thousands of them. and then you’ve got find a way to deal with a larger than norm %age of nuts.

fwiw, when i read “tiny houses” you were the first person i thought of!

• Love
Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Housing, healthcare, mental healthcare, drug treatment, decriminalization of drugs, etc. Any initiative thats gonna make a sizable impact needs to be multifaceted.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Housing, healthcare, mental healthcare, drug treatment, decriminalization of drugs, etc. Any initiative thats gonna make a sizable impact needs to be multifaceted.
All of that.

We also need accountability for those who are “helping” and those being helped. If something is shown to be ineffective we need to stop doing it.

First and foremost is the acknowledgment that allowing people to live outside in an urban environment is cruel.

If you live on the street you are a danger to yourself and others and therefore need to be involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Not sure how this addresses the drugs (mostly fentanyl and meth) and mental illness driving the problems. Putting a bunch of drugged out, mentally ill people in "affordable" housing accomplishes . . . . not much
Any housing we’re gonna build is a drop in the bucket and should be prioritized for homeless parents with children and the elderly.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I hope this works, or at least starts to make some kind of a difference. Unfortunately, dealing with the most visible homeless that people see here in L.A. would require the state to change its involuntary commitment laws as the majority of those people are A. mentally ill, often severely so B. self-medicating with hard drugs C. suffering from the damage of hard drug addiction D. have no family/support network to lean on E. would require permanent round-the-clock care. So, what you have is a group of people that essentially need to become semi-permanent wards of the state both in the short and potential long-term.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I hope this works, or at least starts to make some kind of a difference. Unfortunately, dealing with the most visible homeless that people see here in L.A. would require the state to change its involuntary commitment laws as the majority of those people are A. mentally ill, often severely so B. self-medicating with hard drugs C. suffering from the damage of hard drug addiction D. have no family/support network to lean on E. would require permanent round-the-clock care. So, what you have is a group of people that essentially need to become semi-permanent wards of the state both in the short and potential long-term.
And nobody wants to pay for this.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I think simply building some boxes to put people in and then feeding them more boxes of cheetoes does nothing to help them. If they were really serious about helping, they would build communes where people can live and work to farm their own food. That way they feel enabled and not a burden on society, which in turn helps them deal with their depression and mental illness. When you think about the purpose of religious communes, it's exactly that minus the going to church part. Who cares if they want to get high all day. You can probably farm some food while high on crack or oxy, trimigrants do it all the time. I was watching a documentary about a commune in B.C canada, and it is just a bunch of nutters growing weed and shrooms all day, but at least they are self sufficient, and they happen to have squatted a really nice beach with good surf too.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I think simply building some boxes to put people in and then feeding them more boxes of cheetoes does nothing to help them. If they were really serious about helping, they would build communes where people can live and work to farm their own food. That way they feel enabled and not a burden on society, which in turn helps them deal with their depression and mental illness. When you think about the purpose of religious communes, it's exactly that minus the going to church part. Who cares if they want to get high all day. You can probably farm some food while high on crack or oxy, trimigrants do it all the time. I was watching a documentary about a commune in B.C canada, and it is just a bunch of nutters growing weed and shrooms all day, but at least they are self sufficient, and they happen to have squatted a really nice beach with good surf too.
will there be enough in the budget for crop dusters ?

:unsure:

Last edited:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Not sure how this addresses the drugs (mostly fentanyl and meth) and mental illness driving the problems. Putting a bunch of drugged out, mentally ill people in "affordable" housing accomplishes . . . . not much
Precisely.
I deal with the homeless every time I'm at work. We have resources to get the homeless temporary housing, but they very rarely accept the help. The reasons are varied, but most often, the answer has to do with the rules against drugs and alcohol. Every call without exception involves mental health issues, drugs and alcohol, and most commonly, all of the above. It's a chicken and egg issue. Not sure if the mental illness is a result of the drug and alcohol abuse, or if the drug and alcohol abuse is an effort to self medicate for the mental illness. I suspect the latter.
If you're homeless and don't want to be, there are so many programs to assist people out of homelessness that I can only conclude that people remain homeless by choice, or inability to make sound decisions.
Like so many on this thread have said, establishing and maintaining homeless shelters is expensive, but I have no doubt that the current situation is much more expensive.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Precisely.
I deal with the homeless every time I'm at work. We have resources to get the homeless temporary housing, but they very rarely accept the help. The reasons are varied, but most often, the answer has to do with the rules against drugs and alcohol. Every call without exception involves mental health issues, drugs and alcohol, and most commonly, all of the above. It's a chicken and egg issue. Not sure if the mental illness is a result of the drug and alcohol abuse, or if the drug and alcohol abuse is an effort to self medicate for the mental illness. I suspect the latter.
If you're homeless and don't want to be, there are so many programs to assist people out of homelessness that I can only conclude that people remain homeless by choice, or inability to make sound decisions.
Like so many on this thread have said, establishing and maintaining homeless shelters is expensive, but I have no doubt that the current situation is much more expensive.
There’s a local homeless woman that I’ve been helping out here and there with food and when it gets cold I’ll try to find her and give her some warm clothes, maybe some soup. She’s crazy as fuckk.

Some years ago our rental unit was vacant for a couple weeks and I asked her if she wanted to get cleaned up and maybe some fresh clothes and she refused. Said that she ”won’t go inside”.

She‘s basically terrified of the indoors.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Precisely.
in nyc a lot of the homeless (maybe the saner ones) refuse going to the shelters because they feel they’re dangerous. so the outreach people have that to try and work around...

obviously, socal is homeless paradise compared to around here, weather wise

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
its start but yea - most dont want a tiny home.

In hollywood it was about 85 percent batshit crazy druggies, 10 percent teens or young adults that look like they want to be on the streets, and mayybe 5 percent families who looked like they didnt want to be there, maybe just recently fell on hard times and they separated themselves from the rest of the tents or areas where peeps post up.