Kooks and Negligence

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI

No California statute specifically allows or prohibits riding a bicycle on the sidewalk. According to California Vehicle Code Section 21206, local governments have the right to make their own traffic ordinances, including those that govern bicycles.

The following five California cities have banned cycling on sidewalks:

• Carlsbad
  • El Cajon
  • Escondido
  • National City
  • Vista
In Los Angeles, cyclists may use the sidewalks as long as they are aware of pedestrians and operate their bicycles safely. Additionally, LA cyclists must be cautious when passing in front of storefronts. Santa Clarita allows cyclists to ride on the sidewalks in most parts of the city, but not in business districts.
Oh, didn't know CA is the center of the US!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
If the ocean is going to be regulated, surfing will probably end up prohibited... surfing belongs in the pool folks! Just leave the law out of this.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What about the person behind him in the first place?
He had a better session after two drop-in artists were gone?

I surf without a leash a decent bit. Always on the log and occasionally on non-log. But the waves have to be pretty clean/readable for me to do it in a crowd and I don't do it on the log.

The fashionistas who aren't that good but insist on riding logs leashless in crowds are pretty lame.

I think Jax Beach might have a leash law but the lifeguards have never said anything to me. Never really given them any reason to. Be good and you're good!

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Clearly a conundrum arose from the incident at Mirimar Beach, involving wave riders Mark Olson and Patrick Saville. While the inherent perils of the "ocean's dance" are undeniably woven into the very fabric of the surfing experience, a line must be drawn between calculated risk and egregious negligence.

Mr. Olson, through an unfortunate collision, has sustained grievous bodily harm, and the question of compensation rightfully beckons. Here, I, a humble alumnus of Harvard Law School with over two decades of experience navigating the legal maelstrom, offer my erudite perspective.

While seasoned surfers understand the inherent risks, a tacit pact of sportsmanlike conduct governs the waves. Accidents, though regrettable, can occur within the bounds of this unspoken agreement. However, when one's actions demonstrably breach this compact, causing harm to another, the specter of culpability looms large.

Mr. Saville, in his pursuit of the perfect wave, demonstrably breached this social contract by "dropping in" on Mr. Olson, a maneuver widely condemned within the surfing community. Notably, the esteemed surfing legend, Shaun Tomson, himself a surfer notorious for his own propensity to "drop in" on others, even served as an expert witness in Mr. Olson's case, further solidifying the severity of Mr. Saville's transgression.

While the pursuit of passion is a noble endeavor, the potential consequences of reckless abandon cannot be blithely disregarded. We, as a fraternity of wave riders, must acknowledge the interconnectedness of our actions.

The inherent risks of the sport do not absolve individuals of responsibility when their conduct demonstrably results in another's suffering. Striving for just compensation in such cases does not diminish the inherent thrill of surfing; rather, it seeks to ensure a responsible and equitable environment for all participants.

Having spent over twenty years taming the waves on bespoke Ward Coffey boards, I intimately understand the intricate dynamics of this cherished sport. I have witnessed the ocean's splendiferous beauty in its moments of tranquility, yet also its formidable power. My legal acumen, honed at the prestigious halls of Harvard and further augmented by my daily aquatic endeavors at "J" north of Miramar, extends beyond surfing. As an avid cyclist, I meticulously maintain the physical conditioning necessary to navigate both the water and the open road, fostering a holistic understanding of athletic risk and responsibility.

In conclusion, while the responsibility of navigation rests upon each surfer, it does not absolve us from the responsibility to acknowledge and address legitimate grievances. Mr. Olson deserves fair recompense for the harm inflicted during what should have been a routine encounter with the ocean's embrace. This is not about stifling the camaraderie that binds the surfing community; it is about upholding the fundamental tenet of accountability when one's actions demonstrably infringe upon the well-being of another.

~Yours
This is all made up

bunch of vals can put up new signs that say 'go for broke, just drop in' this is the new etiquette

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
in hindsight i should have said something to him but i just wanted to surf didn't feel like ruining my session by getting into it with some #vanlife guy.
this is the problem with educating people "in the lineup". no one ever thinks they've ever done anything wrong and it almost always becomes an argument and then it ruins your session and you're thinking about it all day.

its always the other guys fault

Reactions: Aruka

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Clearly a conundrum arose from the incident at Mirimar Beach, involving wave riders Mark Olson and Patrick Saville. While the inherent perils of the "ocean's dance" are undeniably woven into the very fabric of the surfing experience, a line must be drawn between calculated risk and egregious negligence.

Mr. Olson, through an unfortunate collision, has sustained grievous bodily harm, and the question of compensation rightfully beckons. Here, I, a humble alumnus of Harvard Law School with over two decades of experience navigating the legal maelstrom, offer my erudite perspective.

While seasoned surfers understand the inherent risks, a tacit pact of sportsmanlike conduct governs the waves. Accidents, though regrettable, can occur within the bounds of this unspoken agreement. However, when one's actions demonstrably breach this compact, causing harm to another, the specter of culpability looms large.

Mr. Saville, in his pursuit of the perfect wave, demonstrably breached this social contract by "dropping in" on Mr. Olson, a maneuver widely condemned within the surfing community. Notably, the esteemed surfing legend, Shaun Tomson, himself a surfer notorious for his own propensity to "drop in" on others, even served as an expert witness in Mr. Olson's case, further solidifying the severity of Mr. Saville's transgression.

While the pursuit of passion is a noble endeavor, the potential consequences of reckless abandon cannot be blithely disregarded. We, as a fraternity of wave riders, must acknowledge the interconnectedness of our actions.

The inherent risks of the sport do not absolve individuals of responsibility when their conduct demonstrably results in another's suffering. Striving for just compensation in such cases does not diminish the inherent thrill of surfing; rather, it seeks to ensure a responsible and equitable environment for all participants.

Having spent over twenty years taming the waves on bespoke Ward Coffey boards, I intimately understand the intricate dynamics of this cherished sport. I have witnessed the ocean's splendiferous beauty in its moments of tranquility, yet also its formidable power. My legal acumen, honed at the prestigious halls of Harvard and further augmented by my daily aquatic endeavors at "J" north of Miramar, extends beyond surfing. As an avid cyclist, I meticulously maintain the physical conditioning necessary to navigate both the water and the open road, fostering a holistic understanding of athletic risk and responsibility.

In conclusion, while the responsibility of navigation rests upon each surfer, it does not absolve us from the responsibility to acknowledge and address legitimate grievances. Mr. Olson deserves fair recompense for the harm inflicted during what should have been a routine encounter with the ocean's embrace. This is not about stifling the camaraderie that binds the surfing community; it is about upholding the fundamental tenet of accountability when one's actions demonstrably infringe upon the well-being of another.

~Yours
Nameless, is that you? :shrug:

Were you savoring a nice cabernet sauvignon while you were jotting all this down?

Last edited:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I found it quite entertaining, especially all the big words, and I found a rather relaxing meter to his structure and delivery.
He thinks he's better than us though and given the Harvard part, and Ward Coffey boards to boot it just sounds cool.
Some people need to win.
Hope I don't run one of them over.

Reactions: keenfish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

~Yours
What you argument fails to acknowledge is that Mr. Olson at the time of his injury was guilty of the same breach of the “tacit pact of sportsmanlike conduct “ that Mr. Saville violated which resulted in injury. It is as though one thief was injured by another in the act of committing robbery. Should someone be recompensed for injury sustained while in the act of committing the same infraction on another? I think not.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What you argument fails to acknowledge is that Mr. Olson at the time of his injury was guilty of the same breach of the “tacit pact of sportsmanlike conduct “ that Mr. Saville violated which resulted in injury. It is as though one thief was injured by another in the act of committing robbery. Should someone be recompensed for injury sustained while in the act of committing the same infraction on another? I think not.
to the gallows with both of them!

• Haha
Reactions: Subway