Kooks and Negligence

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So he dropped in on someone else, he gets dropped in on, and then swerves into whitewater, and gets finned. He didn't veer very hard. What about the person behind him in the first place?

Sounds like a disaster all around.

I could see the judges looking at both of them as negligent.

Santa Barbara is central coast?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
At least he tried. :computer:

the judge declared that “the inherent risks of the sport of surfing include surfers ‘dropping in’ on other surfers, not wearing leashes while riding longboards of the type used by respondent, and using surfboards that have sharp fins.”

Reactions: Chocki

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
so if i’m walking on sidewalk and get hit full force by someone riding a bike out of control i cant sue for negligence? sounds like a lazy judge pulling a favor
Sounds like you need to work on your clothesline technique.

See, the key is you have to pull your arm back fast so you don't get hung up.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
so if i’m walking on sidewalk and get hit full force by someone riding a bike out of control i cant sue for negligence? sounds like a lazy judge pulling a favor
Only if there is an inherent risk in walking on the sidewalk. ( the sidewalk is for pedestrians )

Reactions: vanrysss

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
So he dropped in on someone else, he gets dropped in on, and then swerves into whitewater, and gets finned. He didn't veer very hard. What about the person behind him in the first place?

Sounds like a disaster all around.

I could see the judges looking at both of them as negligent.

Santa Barbara is central coast?
NOPE.
BTW...
WTF? Miramar in the summer? :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
i saw a guy not long ago with a couple city police cars parked behind his vehicle. i thought he was getting busted, but then i saw him pointing to this huge gash in his board, and pointing out to the line up and the cops were taking notes. ahhh, he called them. i thought "what a kook" for calling the cops

• Haha
Reactions: 000

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Sounds like getting kook-slapped out in the lineup is a hazard of surfing as well.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I dunno. I kind of think surfing would be better off if the lineup was a lawsuit free zone. Maybe even extend that up to the high tide line. I think if people had a healthy fear of being slapped or dunked for misbehavior there would be a lot less fckery going on.