Koa Rothman header at Pipeline.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
His wipeout is at 8:15. Looks like nothing, he straightened out on a smallish closeout. There were probably a hundred worse looking wipeouts that day.

• Wow
Reactions: tacos

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
His wipeout is at 8:15. Looks like nothing, he straightened out on a smallish closeout. There were probably a hundred worse looking wipeouts that day.
This was posted on Instagram as being the wipeout where he got hurt. This one is much heavier.

• Wow
Reactions: Joshua2415

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Powerful surf over shallow reef with insane crowds, a recipe for injuries and everyone's luck runs out sooner or later

Reactions: npsp and Truth

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
It's the internet, who knows what to believe but the guy shooting the video has the whole sequence. First Koa on the minor wipeout then being helped by the lifeguards. I would think he would be trying to deceive us if this wasn't the wipeout that caused the injury. I don't even see where the poster on Instagram is saying this is the wave he got injured on. The filmer of the link I posted said in the comments that Koa may of got hurt ducking the wave behind the closeout that he stepped off on.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Yes this was the one he got whacked on. Talked to the lifeguards and they said that little bunny hop people do to try and outrun the whitewash was what got him and actually jacked up a few people that day. Super low tide all day and right after that first bounce the reef is about knee deep -- and that's a lot of whitewash behind him. Easy to do.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
The wipeout in the Instagram clip looks like the sort of uncharacteristic mistake a surfer of his caliber would probably only make when completely frustrated with the crowd.
I've had that thought watching clips from there lately, it seems like people basically have to go on waves they normally wouldn't and in situations they wouldn't due to crowds. So pipe is probably more dangerous than ever

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I found the wave on Surfline rewind, it happened at about 3:25. It wasn't all that crowded, maybe 25-30 people out with 15-20 in the peak. Amazing how fast the lifeguard got to him. It was the second wave of the set and the ski came in on the back of the third wave and was right there when he popped up.

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I made a comment on the Instagram post that this wasn't the wave Koa was injured on and my comment was deleted and I've been blocked. I was willing to give the poster the benefit of the doubt that they just made a mistake but now I'm sure she is trying to deceive everyone.
That being said, is the rider in that Instagram clip doing cartwheels even Koa? I posted above that that wipeout looked very uncharacteristic for a surfer of Koa's caliber. Perhaps that's not even Koa. Could just be some random who made a very ill advised takeoff with no hope of making the drop or the section.

One thing is for sure though, Koa doesn't ride a wave at Pipeline without at least one of his own filmers capturing the action. The truth will come out in an upcoming YouTube video without a doubt.

Reactions: Mr J