Kneeboard Design

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
CharmingSophisticate said:
David Parkes
Shared a line up with him at as big as it gets Macaronis on my second or third day in Indo. I was shitting my pants. He got the wave of the day :shaka:

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
Been building 1-2 per week all year long. As a shaper, I have been doing my homework & really refining these shapes. Fins forward is key. With fins at standup placement, they are actually behind you. Think like if you try turning your surfboard while staring mid-board.

But lt myself one. 5’10” x 23-3/4” x 2-5/8”. Concave deck, Stringerless PU blank, glassed with Epoxy resin, Volan cloth, tapered laps for tail flex, Quad fins.

Still figuring it out. I was a ghost shaper for a guy who sold a bunch of them, so I do have knowledge of design & how much hey work.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures here on this stupid “dumb” phone, I’ll post pics! My Insta is chock full of them.

@barrysnyderdesigns

Reactions: MathDebater

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
SlicedFeet said:
I’m the slowest one out there paddeling back out
From what i've heard this is one of the best advantages of fins, save the arms for getting into waves

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Yes, the old quack quack quack...I'm a duck...love that old slow paddle...except now that fluffy is popular, it can be a little disconcerting...

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
bird. said:
CharmingSophisticate said:
David Parkes
Shared a line up with him at as big as it gets Macaronis on my second or third day in Indo. I was shitting my pants. He got the wave of the day :shaka:
Heard that huge Macaronis is like Teahupoo

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Belly boarding and suping.

belly boarding was really hard on my fvcked up back,

My knees are like my colon. Like that of an 18 year old.

Jan 22, 2014
GWS don't be afraid of fins forward cripple sticks. They drive just as hard as a fins back old skool board and are so much more versatile. Wiggling on a kneeboard is the archer not the arrow. I always loved rounded pin thruster kneeboards and they IMO are the best tail for a longer kneeboard.
PS, some trivia on why Aussie kneelos don't wear flippers (swim fins): It's Peter Crawford's influence again. Pain in the A surfing Dee Why point and doing the run around to the rock off after a wave. Others followed the trend.
Want to see some insane fins forward no wiggle kneelo carving? Google video of Aussie legends Michael Novokov and Simon Farrer.
Farrer carving on a longer kneeboard:
https://youtu.be/dbmz2rP6elI

Jan 22, 2014
In the video linked above, every guy is on a rounded pin, most quite long, with forward fins, and they sure ain't wiggling!
Hope you get a special board which keeps the stoke what ever it is.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
At your size, a 5'10" x 22-1/2 -23" x 2-1/2 -3" with a quad set up should be good. Place the fins where the tops of your feet/ankles will be when riding. I like diamond tails but anything goes...Look at Barry Snyder's instagram for a few examples. Mines the blue one with the black fins boxes. I use SUP deck pads. They are lighter and less expensive than the Cove Pads but not as comfy. I wear flippers but they are not required. They are session extenders though as you can cruise the line up without burning your shoulders and can give that extra boost when you need it. For fins I prefer single foil all around with a bit of rake and a little tip flex but everyone is different.

Plug for Barry, I was in a pinch and he delivered what I wanted in just under two weeks.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/6cjCWdIOCv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=uqtlfzbv1szk

I had one

It was super fun in small toobs on my knees
Fun standing up in lined up mush like trestles

Scary as hell in bigger waves

It paddles well but hurts my shoulders due to the wide plan shape, so flippers would be smart but then ya Kant stand up if needed

I ended up selling it cause I felt like I was going to wrek myself

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Lots of interesting information. Speaking of Bonzer kneeboards, Malcolm has a number of regulars that are kneeriders. He told me he generally takes a Bumble Bee outline, cuts it out etc and keeps it as thick as possible and then concaves the deck and he puts the Bonzer setup in the usual spot instead of moving it forward. I can see the logic in moving the fin cluster forward.

To be clear, I'm still OK with standup on a small board, but I can see the problem coming (and I've been warned of it by really good surfers that are older than I) and I think if I am going to diversify my wave toy list, now is the time. Rather figure it out now than a few years from now.

And my knees still some pretty serviceable so that's not a problem. Yet. I wonder if a guy with a knee replacement can kneeboard? I examined one kneeboard that had a pretty plush pad on it for non-slip/cushion.

When I was a kid I was around a few guys that were riding combination kneeboard/surfboards. Standing sometimes and kneeling others. Sometimes switching on the same wave. Pump down the line and then go to the knees for a small tube.

Keep the info and stuff coming. Thanks.

How far up for the fin cluster? Standard quad placement only shoved forward? Say McKee placement only move the cluster forward how much?

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
GWS said:
Sucks to get old.
Interesting factoid, my customers come in two categories. Hardcore Kneelos, & aging & handicapped by inguries. I have built a bunch for surfers just looking to extend their ocean time as far as possible, having a tougher time popping up, or have some health issue. Back, shoulders, knees, etc.

No matter what, I find it extremely satisfying to help people get back in the water, or stay out there longer. Have had a few come back and thank me for bringing back their stoke. One guy about 65 or so come back thinner, fit, & tan. Told me he’s back after calling a lifetime of surfing over!

Just part of why I do this. Only possible by buying a board from a custom board builder.

Reactions: MathDebater

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
bsnyder said:
GWS said:
Sucks to get old.
Interesting factoid, my customers come in two categories. Hardcore Kneelos, & aging & handicapped by inguries. I have built a bunch for surfers just looking to extend their ocean time as far as possible, having a tougher time popping up, or have some health issue. Back, shoulders, knees, etc.

No matter what, I find it extremely satisfying to help people get back in the water, or stay out there longer. Have had a few come back and thank me for bringing back their stoke. One guy about 65 or so come back thinner, fit, & tan. Told me he’s back after calling a lifetime of surfing over!

Just part of why I do this. Only possible by buying a board from a custom board builder.
great thread, very interested in acquiring one. i'm sort of in the middle of your two types - i'm an aging shortboarder who would like to be able to kneeboard on smaller days in lieu of longboarding now and i can foresee the day when my pop-up abilities will have faded, so eventually a kneeboard might be my all-around board. i'm on the East Coast, so i'd like to have a kneeboard that would work in mushier conditions - not sure what that translates into, design wise.

i'm kneeboarding now on a 5'4" foamy beater board thing with twin FCS boxes - have a lot of fun with it on small days with two nubsters, so it's really loose and lets me slide down the wave almost sideways on the takeoff. i have particularly wondered about flippers vs no flippers - if i was trying to stay flipper-less, can i assume i would want a little more float under my chest? also, have wondered why the kneeboards seem to be mostly twin fin set-ups - is there no use for a center fin on a kneeboard?

sorry for dumb questions - thanks for any suggestions!

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
Most of my models have been Quads. Aussies seem to like Twinny’s a lot. Just like shortboards, just a looser option. Mara a personal for myself. Quad setup with Lg. MR’s & smaller more up right trailers. Very pivotal & makes quick direction changes.

Not the most competent Kneeboarder, but I’m learning. Important for me to know directly about the boards I’m building & selling. First hand knowledge is key!

Built two last month headed for East coast. Standard Double Wing swallow tail, & a Fireball step/channel to Outer Banks.