Kelly Slater - DONE

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
That's it - Kelly just lost his heat to Griffin Colapinto at Margaret River, and officially will not make the Mid-Year Cut.

The Greatest of All Time (GOAT) is DONE and off the WSL tour.

It's about time :foreheadslap:

Reactions: Chocki

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I agree with brukuns. There are some very healthy and young looking 50 year olds. Kelly is in great shape, has a young wife and is going to have a kid. I think that will keep him young for another 20 years. lol.
I like to watch him compete at this point just to see how he does against the young bucks. I don't expect him to win. It's just cool to see him still surf at that level. Have you guys seen any of Tony Hawk's edits lately? Holy sh!t.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I agree with brukuns. There are some very healthy and young looking 50 year olds. Kelly is in great shape, has a young wife and is going to have a kid. I think that will keep him young for another 20 years. lol.
He's also spent a bazillion hours in the sun and it only takes a few pissed off cells to change everything.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Just a thought.

A competitor who is unable to gracefully hang up the jersey after close to 40 years of competition (despite being deservedly considered the GOAT), could very well be dealing with a lot of other crap beneath the surface that they are suppressing.

i.e. a mental health issue.

You have to wonder when someone is that driven and competitive (the most competitive pro athlete in modern history?)

And especially because that person is a surfer.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
[They did] a labrum reconstruction, removed scar tissue and bone spurs on femoral head, shaved the socket joint, and removed bone pieces and foreign objects floating in the joint.

-Kelly

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Hard to believe he wont be on tour full time. What an incredible journey he's had! What an incredible legacy!

And, while I completely understand that he is going through all the emotions of departing the tour live on TV for all to see, it pains me to see him focus so much on the past. He has built so many solid relationships, has so many friendships, and has so much life ahead of him! He has taken such good care of his health that he could easily start an entire new career and still achieve some great things.

I know he said that this door is closing and a new one will open, but it seems that he often focuses on the door that is closing too much. Stay positive Kelly! Be joyful, pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances for this is Gods will for you.
What if it’s god’s will that he forever suffer remembering what he used to be? Wouldn’t be the first athlete to do so.

I’ve been pretty critical of him hanging on the past few years, but it struck me how long his career has been when they mentioned he had 3 titles before Griff was born. He truly is a marvel Of sport.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Kelly and I are the same age. The first time I ever saw him surf in person was at small Backdoor in like 1990. I literally could not believe what I was seeing. No one could.

All these years and all these titles and all these seemingly unbeatable records later, and he is still dangerous in a heat for guys 30 years his junior. That is just insane. Whatever the guy decides to do is his business. I admire the ability, the focus, the commitment. He's also an old school, real deal surfer who is deeply connected to the sport's history and culture and has relationships with all the greats. I've surfed with him a ton and he's not a dick. Precisely the opposite in fact.

As for his personal life, IDGAF. He ain't dating my daughter or running off with my wife. He ain't a drug dealer. He ain't robbing banks or stealing cars or picking fights with people.

Nothing but respect.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Just a thought.

A competitor who is unable to gracefully hang up the jersey after close to 40 years of competition (despite being deservedly considered the GOAT), could very well be dealing with a lot of other crap beneath the surface that they are suppressing.

i.e. a mental health issue.

You have to wonder when someone is that driven and competitive (the most competitive pro athlete in modern history?)

And especially because that person is a surfer.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I predict Kelly wins or at least makes the finals the next time the Eddie goes.