Keep it light

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Now the personal is political and everything is political. This is the result. I've heard some stuff over the past year from older coworkers that I thought was unbelievably cruel and it definitely affects my relationship with them.

The modern post-Industrial revolution working world is bizarre - you spend most of your life around people with whom you have only a functional, superficial relationship with and chances are you wouldn't like them if you knew more about them. In the past, you worked around family - people who had to accept you because of biology.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
:roflmao:
A month or so ago I filled in for another dept that was short staffed and the guy they paired me up with started in on aliens and eventually said there are 3 millions Germans already living in Mars. Not on, in! How do I out crazy that?
This is why we need to keep up our rocketry program - not to get to Mars but because some people need to be launched into the Sun. (I'm kidding)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Millennial people problems.
I wish that were true. I've seen this from people much older who should know better (Boomers). Gen X - we just want to watch the world burn.

Seems like we're all becoming more childish and prone to tantrums. And verbally incontinent. I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about this.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I wish that were true. I've seen this from people much older who should know better (Boomers). Gen X - we just want to watch the world burn.

Seems like we're all becoming more childish and prone to tantrums. And verbally incontinent. I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about this.
It definitely wasn't just millennials. Most of the people I trained with were within a year or so of retirement.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
but I definitely didn't allow the conversation to continue at all.
This is where I am at fault. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings and also don't want negative feedback getting to management, so I wasn't kidding when I said I ok'd, yupped, and wow'd my way through the day. When I should just say I'd rather talk about something else.

Reactions: PRCD

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The other way for me. I have worked exclusively for small businesses in Red America. The Bush years were the crescendo. The predictions of an even worse recession/depression under Obama going nowhere shut all that the f--k up. It was quiet for years, other than the usual use browser on subscriber server and Drudge is the homepage.

The only real tangible parts were people who didn't hire and/or didn't provide goods/services to black people. Everything else was mostly agreeing with Surfdog about how great Bush is.

These days it's mostly people who used to Surfdog about how great Bush was lamenting that they can't drone on about it anymore because snowflakes. Meanwhile if you told these people God was imaginary or WMD don't exist it'd be the end of the world.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I get called out for clowning around too much.

I go into the Dept and there are 4 women working and I really get going teasing them and they are like "GET OUT HERE!"

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I went on a long-range fishing trip last year (7 days) and while standing in line waiting to board this complete tool was parading around wearing a GOD, GUNS and TRUMP T-shirt.
$hit, I'm going to have to fish with this a$$hole for 7 days.
No one on board with the exception of the two dudes he came with would engage or talk to him.:poop:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don’t even know what a non sequitor is
It is the title of a cartoon:

1651513357054.png

1651513294503.png

1651513386197.png

I just try to fly under the radar all possible. No stickers. No license plate frame. No brand specific clothing except the ones that I approve of. LOL.
I too like to pretend I am more interesting than my bumpersnickers, tribal affiliation medallions, and other assorted displays of wealth/power.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
:roflmao:
A month or so ago I filled in for another dept that was short staffed and the guy they paired me up with started in on aliens and eventually said there are 3 millions Germans already living in Mars. Not on, in! How do I out crazy that?
That's impressive.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Faculty used to stick "Safe Space" posters on their office doors.

I would think, "I know those teachers. In an emergency, they ain't helping anyone but themselves."
When I was a teacher there was no way I would put one of those stupid stickers on my door. Judging from the amount of students that would come in and hang out and bullshit about life or complain to me about their problems or whatever, my room was plenty safe.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When I was a teacher there was no way I would put one of those stupid stickers on my door. Judging from the amount of students that would come in and hang out and bullshit about life or complain to me about their problems or whatever, my room was plenty safe.
In high school, I think I once went to to the counselor, and it was only because it was mandatory for all 11th graders.

No wait, went twice, both mandatory.

Once was for "college counseling" as in, "You are going to college, aren't you, Mr Doof?" That was in 11th grade.

In 10th grade, had to meet with the mildly religious teacher, Mr. Whatshisface, to discuss "any problems". When I mentioned the bullying I saw and asked why staff never seemed to do anything about it, got the "boys will be boys" answer.

Seemed like a lame answer on the face of it, but the more I thought, the more I realized he was giving me a clue that no one is going to do jack sh!t for you...later realized the greater truth that you need to make it worth their while to get their help.

Reactions: Boneroni and PRCD

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've had to nod, yup, wow, and ok, my way through several days of religious beliefs, right wing, left wing, ufo/alien, vaccine, and flat erf talk.
The key is to nod along with occasional You Don't Say! interjections but not actually listen to a single word they say.

With work, I am just trying to get my sh!t done and get through the day. And outside of work, the last thing I want to hear about is work, mine or anyone else's.

My high school reunion was funny that way, people asking what do you do? I don't know, surf, snowboard, play basketball, and fucking drink?! OOOOHHHH, you mean what do I do for work? :roflmao: