Keel fin feedback?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Don’t know what phone you’re using but I hit the “request desktop site” option and it makes the pop ups go to normal

Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
No - i've wanted to try them - they are always sold out. Ended up talking to someone at True Ames - says will give me a heads up when they get a new batch in.
I have the Piggyback Keels.

They are very loose for a keel. Quite fun in small waves but a little too loose for me in my 5-7 banjo fish @180lbs in anything decent. If you are lightweight or looking to loosen up a stiff board they might be the ticket. They will have more drive than upright twin but not as much as a normal keel.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I have the Piggyback Keels.

They are very loose for a keel. Quite fun in small waves but a little too loose for me in my 5-7 banjo fish @180lbs in anything decent. If you are lightweight or looking to loosen up a stiff board they might be the ticket. They will have more drive than upright twin but not as much as a normal keel.
Thanks - was thinking they might go well in a twinzer setup.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've been curious about the C-drives but haven't pulled the trigger. I have apex peregrines in large. As people have noted they are very thin and sharp, they do have nice twang. I am a rakey fin person so I haven't really clicked with them but they seem like nice fins.

Reactions: flyinraptr

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Was checking out the NVS fin website and this set caught my eye. Has anyone tried the Cdrive fins or NVS Apex fins in general?

View attachment 103607
I use them in a 6'9" twin. Shaper suggested so I tried them thinking I would switch to a keel and upright depending on conditions. They went good in all surf types so I never changed out. They pivot good in the small stuff and handle some size. One caveat is I mainly ride the board in smaller reefs so not truly tested. I ride more "normal" performance type boards when it is firing-like now. I did ride it yesterday because I took my kid to slopey reef and the waves were actually good due to neg tide. good balance between drive and pivot.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I use them in a 6'9" twin. Shaper suggested so I tried them thinking I would switch to a keel and upright depending on conditions. They went good in all surf types so I never changed out. They pivot good in the small stuff and handle some size. One caveat is I mainly ride the board in smaller reefs so not truly tested. I ride more "normal" performance type boards when it is firing-like now. I did ride it yesterday because I took my kid to slopey reef and the waves were actually good due to neg tide. good balance between drive and pivot.
Thanks! Looking to add some new options before our season begins ... lot of the twin\keel sets are sold out on TA, Future, FCS, etc .... NVS has some nice looking twin/keel templates ... prices reasonable relatively speaking.