Keahana, Hydroflex construction

Oct 26, 2016
Anyone still rides these construction? Seems like they were as popular as XTR a handful of years ago but not as popular anymore.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Hydroflex is done and I think Keahana is treading water even though I heard lots of positive comments from my local shop years ago.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I heard Hydroflex were a little hit and miss, with some being really good/durable and others spider cracking all over the place. I think with all the big brands rolling out their own tech, there was less and less market share for their specialty glassing, with XTR getting pretty much unanimous rave reviews in regards to their QC and being in the same general vicinity as Hydroflex.

While I heard Keahana makes a great product, I think the techs that have more of visual aspect (JS' HyFI, Haydenshapes' Future Flex, Lost's Carbon Wrap, CI's Spine-Tek etc.) makes consumers think they're getting more for their money when checking out stock boards and I don't think shops are really promoting them anymore.

Oct 26, 2016
I heard Hydroflex were a little hit and miss, with some being really good/durable and others spider cracking all over the place. I think with all the big brands rolling out their own tech, there was less and less market share for their specialty glassing, with XTR getting pretty much unanimous rave reviews in regards to their QC and being in the same general vicinity as Hydroflex.

While I heard Keahana makes a great product, I think the techs that have more of visual aspect (JS' HyFI, Haydenshapes' Future Flex, Lost's Carbon Wrap, CI's Spine-Tek etc.) makes consumers think they're getting more for their money when checking out stock boards and I don't think shops are really promoting them anymore.
Thanks Chase. Had a custom Keahana awhile back, quite like their construction.
So kinda surprised that they never caught on.
Hydroflex on the other hand , i did not care for because of cracking issues

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Around the time Clark closed, there were a lot of new "technologies" that came out at the same time. Keahana and Hydroflex being a couple of them. XTR was established before this, so I think they already had a customer base.

Keahana always just seemed like a brand of EPS to me. They never really conveyed (to me at least) what made their product different or better from other EPS companies out there. Marketing failure, IMO.

Hydroflex, I think, was a bit ahead of their time. I remember them being a bit too expensive for most, especially since a lot of consumers were hesitant to try new things. I remember wanting to try one because the idea of being able to adjust the flex of a surfboard really interested me. I think if they came out today, they would kill it.

Reactions: trent17 and Havoc

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I'm sure Hydroflex took their insurance payout when their factory caught fire and GTFO. They were in dire straights before the fire, I believe. Makes ya think...

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Hydroflex is still rocking

Yikes! by his bio I'm in contention to be a shaper (I've actually hand-shaped two dogs for myself back in 1998) and have a couple more years of surfing experience than him. There's no mention of how long he's been shaping, who he apprenticed under, shapers he admired etc. I'm not feeling his aesthetic; reminds me of what Chandler would be high-five'ing Rick Kane over nowadays. If people liked the tech, I'm surprised a more well known name would take-on their brand.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
The "tech" is just a patent for a rolling device with basically pins that poke holes in the foam. The blank then gets vacuum bagged. Voila.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Bufo won a prestigious engineering award in Europe before any of you heard of him .

He was invited to use the machine at Wolfsburg , rumored to do the whole board complete .

Amazing quality surfboards - I saw some - he could engineer strength , flex etc .

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
i like my hydroflex Album. it's been beat to hell and it rides great, still.

i met the guy who bought the hydroflex brand not too long ago, he has a shop across the way from where Nine Lights was located in HB.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I just remember seeing someone bounce a keahana board on the concrete on the rail and it didn't ding. I had one board in that contruction from a local shaper and rode it for awhile. Didn't ding but dented like a normal board

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
what's the tech with Keahana? is it a similar thing to Hydroflex? (poking holes and vacuum bagging PU?)

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
The original Keahanna was a 1.5 pound eps blank with some special wood stringer that they only had and some unique cloth layup with their own blend of resin + oven curing