Kanoa Igarashi

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
brukuns said:
barnod said:
i don't really care, but i do think it's kinda lame to jump ship on the country that provided for you...
I remember making a post here a while back about Kanoa Igarashi before he had actually qualified for the CT (we were on the subject of american surfers on tour) and how he seemed to be so good at such a young age and how promising it was. The only response I got was something like "who gives a fuck about Kanoa Igarashi". We reap what we sow I guess.
good point! and no doubt he was heckled (or shunned) in the water more than other groms.. makes me want to backpedal my comment a bit.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship for adults. If Kanoa wants to keep his Japanese citizenship he will need to renounce his American citizenship before he turns 22. Now America doesn’t really care if he renounces his citizenship to a Japanese official, he’ll still get to keep it as long as he doesn’t renounce it to an American official. Japan normally turns a blind eye to this too but I don’t see how he can compete for Japan in the Olympics while calling himself a dual citizen.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
When he made the ct he said in an interview he wouldn't surf under the Japanese flag. He said something like he grew up in the US so why would he do that? I guess the why is money. He is now the most famous Japanese surfer in the world, but just another American pro. The Olympics probably had a bit to do with it too. Whatever......

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
waxhead said:
When he made the ct he said in an interview he wouldn't surf under the Japanese flag. He said something like he grew up in the US so why would he do that? I guess the why is money. He is now the most famous Japanese surfer in the world, but just another American pro. The Olympics probably had a bit to do with it too. Whatever......
How dare Kanoa say something at 17 years of age and than a few years later change his mind?! What's wrong with him?! I'm sure our mindsets were set in stone by the time we were 17.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
kelly7873 said:
Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship for adults. If Kanoa wants to keep his Japanese citizenship he will need to renounce his American citizenship before he turns 22. Now America doesn’t really care if he renounces his citizenship to a Japanese official, he’ll still get to keep it as long as he doesn’t renounce it to an American official. Japan normally turns a blind eye to this too but I don’t see how he can compete for Japan in the Olympics while calling himself a dual citizen.
If the was born in the US to Japanese citizen parents, Japanese law allows dual citizenship.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Since he has 0% chance of making the US team, why the heck not compete on the Japanese team?

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
barnod said:
i don't really care, but i do think it's kinda lame to jump ship on the country that provided for you...
It kinda illustrates the point that hyphenated americans aren't americans.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Oh yeah,
I get it. What I wanted when I was 17.........uh mostly the same stuff I want now......

brukuns said:
waxhead said:
How dare Kanoa say something at 17 years of age and than a few years later change his mind?! What's wrong with him?! I'm sure our mindsets were set in stone by the time we were 17.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
VonMeister said:
kelly7873 said:
If the was born in the US to Japanese citizen parents, Japanese law allows dual citizenship.
That is not correct. My sons are dual citizens now but before they turn 22 they have to decide if they want to keep their Japanese citizenship. Their mother is Japanese and it would make no difference if we both were like Kanoa. It is very common for people to get away with it but it is against Japanese law.