JS Flaming Pony groveler (review added)

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Casa what fins do you have in yours?

I have one of these and it feels like it has almost no drive.

Also paddles poorly.

The hyfi feels super lively though.

I figure it's just not an east coast board.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa what fins do you have in yours?

I have one of these and it feels like it has almost no drive.

Also paddles poorly.

The hyfi feels super lively though.

I figure it's just not an east coast board.
JS size large. I'm 145 lbs.

The board is a true groveler specifically for tiny, weak surf. Less than waist high, fat stuff. Pockety surf too but does not like walled up stuff.

You're going to need a bigger fin.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I've got some of the biggest futures in it. I'm a lot bigger than you, so maybe I need to find some jumbo fins somewhere.

For me it doesn't paddle or generate speed like other grovel boards I've had, hoping fins will help with the speed generation.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I'm about 220, which is about 25lbs more than my other boards were made for. i went up about 6L in volume, though mostly that's just my other boards are undersized for my current weight. JS volume calculator suggested in that range for crappy surf.

Other boards feel like they paddle/catch waves better and at lower volume. Not sure volume is always comparable across companies.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I'm about 220, which is about 25lbs more than my other boards were made for. i went up about 6L in volume, though mostly that's just my other boards are undersized for my current weight. JS volume calculator suggested in that range for crappy surf.

Other boards feel like they paddle/catch waves better and at lower volume. Not sure volume is always comparable across companies.
What's your height? What is length of this board? L of previous groveller?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
It's an inch bigger than one, inch smaller than other. Doesn't paddle or get going nearly as well. has more volume (according to the numbers on the board, doesn't feel that way). Just not a true grovel board. At least not for east coast.

Will give bigger fins a shot if I can find some that are much bigger than the big ones i have in it, thanks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Giving your height in comparison to the board would might provide some insight.

The board is supposed to be sized very short in comparison to your height.

I can imagine sizing this board too big could be problematic.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I just got the stock 5'9, 37.5L. I don't remember reading anything on there about it supposed to be sized super short.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
5' 9" 21 1/4" 2 3/4" 37.3L

That reminds me - thoughts on quad vs thruster setup with it?
If you're 6'1 and 220 then sizing not an issue if you're accustomed to shorter boards.

You've been having to ginger your old boards to keep them from bogging. Need to get more over board paddling and riding while using strength. You could possibly be too far rearward on board and not applying enough front foot pressure. Also got to let it flow more to find its rhythm when moving up that much in volume.

Quad for more speed out the gate but won't blow tail as easily. Use large fronts and schmedium rears for mix of drive and loose. in Futures 3.75 rears, not sure what that is in FCS

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I've got other boards that I went up with in volume that go well though. Both have more volume than this (despite the dims saying they are close in volume). Which made me think maybe I just didn't get enough volume with this.

"Need to get more over board paddling and riding while using strength."

Not quite understanding this? I definitely feel the need to be way up on the nose paddling to get into the wave.

I'm typically too front footed.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
You're probably doing the right stuff but ...
I've got other boards that I went up with in volume that go well though. Both have more volume than this (despite the dims saying they are close in volume). Which made me think maybe I just didn't get enough volume with this.
Generally that could be enough for a young guy that surfs a ton but that's also a groveller so more maybe could have been the call. Rob (Roberts) at your size was on 40 L for many years though he said he liked a little extra Ls. He's closing in on 60 so now moving up in float.