Jim Banks

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Anybody got experience with his shapes? I would be able to get my hands on boards at a reasonable price, but I would have to buy without ever feeling them up. Looking at the Magic Carpet or MK5 and a Sea Dart in particular. My main concern would be that the boards might be more suitable for quality surf rather than the average beach break days at home.
Had an off-the-rack 6'8" HTR (if memory serves) board that I LOVED, and then destroyed on a really big day at Little Rincon probably 15+ years ago. Pulled in, got blasted, leash broke, and the board ended up in a few pieces against the rocks. Devastated. That was a tough swim in. Ordered 2 more from Jim immediately.

Jim is a great guy to order from. My only issue was I ordered the next 2 boards "sand" colored, and they arrived in more of a "salmon" color. For those in the know, "salmon" really just means pink. Like baby pastel pink. It hurt my innards, but I still loved them. In the old erBB archives there might even be a couple of pictures.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Had an off-the-rack 6'8" HTR (if memory serves) board that I LOVED, and then destroyed on a really big day at Little Rincon probably 15+ years ago. Pulled in, got blasted, leash broke, and the board ended up in a few pieces against the rocks. Devastated. That was a tough swim in. Ordered 2 more from Jim immediately.

Jim is a great guy to order from. My only issue was I ordered the next 2 boards "sand" colored, and they arrived in more of a "salmon" color. For those in the know, "salmon" really just means pink. Like baby pastel pink. It hurt my innards, but I still loved them. In the old erBB archives there might even be a couple of pictures.
I feel your sorrow. I had a Gary McNeill gun in this reddish/pink that looked fantastic! So I ordered a Carrera in the same color but instead it came out bubble gum, barbie dream-mo-bile HOT PINK. So sad. I ended up having it painted, I just couldn't pull it off.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
His Bali boards are produced in Boardlab Bali, the same factory that does boards for Chilli, Rusty, Dylan, Studer, Warner, Bruce Hansel, Bourton ...
Pyzels, DHD, CIs, Lost are in made in a different factories. There is a stab article about where major brands get there boards made in Bali.
Pyzel factory just burned down a few weeks ago. I drove past the site this morning though and it looks like they're already rebuilding.

I'd also love to try Banks' Twin Pin, looks rad.

Reactions: sozzle
Mar 7, 2018

did a search on JB and found this.
some cashed up influencer at Byron Bay will probably ride it without legrope causing multiple fatalities.

btw, hankering for a winged pin to get my backhand surfing back on track.

Reactions: JDJ

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Jim was the first shaper to charge big dollars for boards. Over ten years ago and over a grand back then.