Jerry Garcia

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
He mentioned in an old interview that he thought America had lost its sense of adventure.
He called The Dead Americas' last adventure. Are we becoming too sedate?

• Love
Reactions: rowjimmytour

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I went to HS in the early 70's. A handful of my friends were big time deadheads. They dropped acid at every show. I never cared for the dead. Didn't get it at all. Although I've played guitar since HS, I never cared for Jerry's playing.

I only dropped acid a couple of times. One time was at Russian river. We were hanging at a cabin and I realized the music that was playing was mesmerizing. A very odd repeating figure was playing, and it was both intriguing and disturbing. It was fascinating. I realized it was the dead and I instantly understood the attraction. Still can't stand their music. They couldn't sing and couldn't play. Maybe the drummers were decent? If adventure is taking acid and listening to mediocre musicians who are also on acid, then I'm glad I'm not adventurous.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
depends on your sense of adventure.

if JG idea of it is tripping on drugs adventure is live and well in many places. For better or worse.

is a #vanlifer adventureless? I don’t know. it’s lame, but they’re not exactly sitting on their ass in front of a computer or TV bitching politics like we all do.

I don’t think he’s 100% wrong though, I mostly agree.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
America is still mostly xenophobic and racist. That's the nature of America, I think.
Certainly the US of goldurn A has racism and xenophobia, but other countries in world are worse. And if we include religion, then USA is less so.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most racist/xenophobic, I give USA (as a whole) a 4, maybe 3.5.

I am sure groups/regions in the USA would disagree with this opinion.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I went to HS in the early 70's. A handful of my friends were big time deadheads. They dropped acid at every show. I never cared for the dead. Didn't get it at all. Although I've played guitar since HS, I never cared for Jerry's playing.

I only dropped acid a couple of times. One time was at Russian river. We were hanging at a cabin and I realized the music that was playing was mesmerizing. A very odd repeating figure was playing, and it was both intriguing and disturbing. It was fascinating. I realized it was the dead and I instantly understood the attraction. Still can't stand their music. They couldn't sing and couldn't play. Maybe the drummers were decent? If adventure is taking acid and listening to mediocre musicians who are also on acid, then I'm glad I'm not adventurous.
What did the deadhead say when the drugs wore off? These guys suck!

Funny joke but I love the Dead.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
He mentioned in an old interview that he thought America had lost its sense of adventure.
He called The Dead Americas' last adventure. Are we becoming too sedate?
i seem to recall Jerry Garcia's sense of adventure ultimately narrowed down to sitting in his BMW in Golden Gate Park, getting high. it wasn't quite his last adventure but it was pretty close to it.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i seem to recall Jerry Garcia's sense of adventure ultimately narrowed down to sitting in his BMW in Golden Gate Park, getting high. it wasn't quite his last adventure but it was pretty close to it.
Later year after Brent passed he seemed to enjoy and be into Jerry Garcia Band more and specially David Grissom gigs:shaka:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
hey in all fairness, he was caught with like a pound of pure china white, and a loaded 9 mm Glock under the BMW's passenger seat. That's more Sons of Anarchy than it is Grateful Dead

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
hey in all fairness, he was caught with like a pound of pure china white, and a loaded 9 mm Glock under the BMW's passenger seat. That's more Sons of Anarchy than it is Grateful Dead
And a glove compartment full of of un cashed checks:foreheadslap:

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
i'm thinking of this one, but there were others:

i was living a couple blocks away at the time and it was big news in SF. hadn't seen this update about the missing briefcase full of Robert Hunter songs.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Had the unbelievably incredible ( how many times can I repeat the unbelievable part? Still pinch myself when remembering) pleasure of meeting him in person, actually hanging out with him, and I can tell you there are very few human beings able to light up a room like "the gnome". He was among the most loving, understanding, impressionable (dude couldn't believe I was Spanish, actually really Spanish, he went OFF talking about Ibanez, the guitar maker, flamenco, and we hit an epiphany together when we spoke of Camaron de la Isla, Paco and Segovia... He was a HUGE fan), interesting and captivating human beings I have ever had the pleasure to encounter.

What was that about the airport radars having trouble the day he went? Was that actually true, or fictional?

Whether you "got" him or not.... Jerome made this mostly boring and uninteresting world a much warmer better place.

I ball out loud every time I think of his passing.

But then I play a solo acoustic concert and am immediately lifted.

Friggin chicken skin every single time.

JGB rocked many a house many a time too.

The Dead were more of an acquired taste; but like beer, once you "got it" there was no turning back.

Long Live the Fatty Zone!!!!!

:jamon:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Had the unbelievably incredible ( how many times can I repeat the unbelievable part? Still pinch myself when remembering) pleasure of meeting him in person, actually hanging out with him, and I can tell you there are very few human beings able to light up a room like "the gnome". He was among the most loving, understanding, impressionable (dude couldn't believe I was Spanish, actually really Spanish, he went OFF talking about Ibanez, the guitar maker, flamenco, and we hit an epiphany together when we spoke of Camaron de la Isla, Paco and Segovia... He was a HUGE fan), interesting and captivating human beings I have ever had the pleasure to encounter.

What was that about the airport radars having trouble the day he went? Was that actually true, or fictional?

Whether you "got" him or not.... Jerome made this mostly boring and uninteresting world a much warmer better place.

I ball out loud every time I think of his passing.

But then I play a solo acoustic concert and am immediately lifted.

Friggin chicken skin every single time.

JGB rocked many a house many a time too.

The Dead were more of an acquired taste; but like beer, once you "got it" there was no turning back.

Long Live the Fatty Zone!!!!!

:jamon:
328F681A-CC68-4DD0-B1BD-7ADFFE15CAC4.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheEl and menobrah