Is This an Attack on Free Speech...or Not?

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
Bohter said:
Is This an Attack on Free Speech...or Not?
If he made a 1A claim, he would lose today

But maybe not in the future. The groundwork has been laid for political speech to receive 1A protections on the internet. In Packingham SCOTUS said the internet / social media are the "democratic forums" of today. In Davidson, a District Court said that 1A protections apply to social media pages operated by government entities in their official capacity.

In US Telecom vs FCC, the DC Court of Appeals laid most of the groundwork for high-speed internet being declared a public utility.

Add these 3 together, and the road has been paved to enforce 1A protections in most places on the internet. Too early to say if SCOTUS will rule that way, but it certainly is downhill if they choose to go that direction.

And if that does happen, then the person in the OP, depending on the exact details, might well be able to win a 1A case against Twitter or etc.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
I don't know, he sounds like a standard bigot to me.

All Muslims are evil

Trans are mentally ill

Conversion therapy for gays

Abortion should be illegal.

Social Security ought to be privatized and Obamacare repealed.

White man is a victim but racism and discrimination against blacks doesn't exist.

Basically everything ifallalot regurgitates here.

He's one small step removed from Richard Spencer, only because he wears a yarmulke.

If he wasn't, he would be an anti-semite too.

Standard issue bigot who crawled out of the Breitbart sewage put.
Well, you only got three things right, mischaracterized another one and outright lied about others, both about Ben and me.

Par for the course.

BIGOT RASSSISSMSMSMSMMSMS FASSSSSSSSSSSSSSICSTSSS

Richard Spencer is your own personal boogeyman. No one knows or cares who he is

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
Duffy said:
FecalFace said:
Hate speech, bigotry, spreading lies, inciting violence..... it's antisocial behavior.

Now they want to play victims.

Richard Spencer, Alex Jones, Milo, Ben Shapiro.....

Society doesn't tolerate antisocial assholes very well.

Somehow you guys haven't figured this out yet.

Facebook is just a reflection of society.
You, complaining about “hate” speech.....
I only hate bigots like you. A speech against hate speech is not hate speech.

I'm for live and let live.

You, not so much.
I DISAGREE THEREFORE BIGOT

God you're such a joke

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
I don't know, he sounds like a standard bigot to me.

All Muslims are evil

Trans are mentally ill

Conversion therapy for gays

Abortion should be illegal.

Social Security ought to be privatized and Obamacare repealed.

White man is a victim but racism and discrimination against blacks doesn't exist.

Basically everything ifallalot regurgitates here.

He's one small step removed from Richard Spencer, only because he wears a yarmulke.

If he wasn't, he would be an anti-semite too.

Standard issue bigot who crawled out of the Breitbart sewage put.
Well, you only got three things right, mischaracterized another one and outright lied about others, both about Ben and me.

Par for the course.

BIGOT RASSSISSMSMSMSMMSMS FASSSSSSSSSSSSSSICSTSSS

Richard Spencer is your own personal boogeyman. No one knows or cares who he is
I "only" got 3 things right?

:roflmao:

How many bigoted things do you have to stand for before you accept that you are a bigot?

What's the required minimum?

I'm willing to adhere to your standards, I just don't know what they are.

You are moving the normalcy goalposts further and further to the the right so you can avoid being labeled as a bigot.

For a libertarian, you sure like to dictate to other people what they should be doing.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Trans are mentally ill - this is a fact, it is not bigoted

Abortion should be illegal - there's no value judgement there, Shaprio thinks this.

Social Security ought to be privatized and Obamacare repealed. - once again, not bigoted, just an opinion

You disagree with these things, and think they are "bigoted" for some reason. Something "bigoted" is "I hate trans people" or "black people are criminals" Identifying a mental disorder is not bigoted

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:

Abortion should be illegal - there's no value judgement there, Shaprio thinks this.

Social Security ought to be privatized and Obamacare repealed. - once again, not bigoted, just an opinion

You disagree with these things, and think they are "bigoted" for some reason. Something "bigoted" is "I hate trans people" or "black people are criminals" Identifying a mental disorder is not bigoted
It's nothing to do with my disagreement with you.

Women, trans and gay people are not doing anything to you. They just exist.

Yet you have a problem with them.

Can you see the difference?

How does this fit in your "live and let live" libertarian views?

BTW, Shapiro defended gay conversion therapy and you also refused to address his denial of systematic racism, except for racism against white people.

Shapiro is a classic religious bigot and you fell for it, becuz Harvard.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

BTW, Shapiro defended gay conversion therapy and you also refused to address his denial of systematic racism, except for racism against white people.

Mischaracterizations and lies. Par for the course

ps Live and let live means that people can do whatever they want, however, that does not excuse them from judgement by others.

pps Systematic racism hasn't existed in half of a century, unless you're talking about racism against whites. Facts.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

ps Live and let live means that people can do whatever they want, however, that does not excuse them from judgement by others.

pps Systematic racism hasn't existed in half of a century, unless you're talking about racism against whites. Facts.
Why can't you debate like normal, honest people?

What did women, trans and gay people do to you that you have a problem with them?

You are not supporting your arguments with anything but Shapiro talking points. Bigot fail.

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
FecalFace said:
Internet =\= Twitter
Correct. That's why the combination of Packingham with a similar ruling in an appealed US Telecom and Davidson would be needed.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

Why can't you debate like normal, honest people?

What did women, trans and gay people do to you that you have a problem with them?

You are not supporting your arguments with anything but Shapiro talking points. Bigot fail.

:roflmao:

You try to post that insane tweet from an idiot like its thought provoking? Racism is racism

And that question is loaded as fuck because it is predicated on both lies and mischaracterization

There's one person being honest here, and, like usual, it isn't you

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
You try to post that insane tweet from an idiot like its thought provoking? Racism is racism

And that question is loaded as fuck because it is predicated on both lies and mischaracterization

1) You/Shapiro deny that racism against blacks exists but at the same time play victim card in "racism" against whites. Where does this fit in your narrative?

2) "Mischaracterization"? Why don't you set me straight? Explain how do women, trans, gay and Muslim people affect your life and liberty since you want to restrict theirs?

You haven't constructed a coherent argument to answer that yet.
All you did so far is mischaracterize everything I say into "disagreement=bigotry".

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

1) You/Shapiro deny that racism against blacks exists but at the same time play victim card in "racism" against whites. Where does this fit in your narrative?

2) "Mischaracterization"? Why don't you set me straight? Explain how do women, trans, gay and Muslim people affect your life and liberty since you want to restrict theirs?

All you did so far is mischaracterize everything I say into "disagreement=bigotry".
1. "Systematic" racism vs racism. There is a difference. We used to have systematic racism in the US. Now we don't
2. I have no problem with women except for feminists, and even then I judge them on an individual basis. I have no problem with gays whatsoever, nor have I ever even implied something close to the sort. I believe transgenders have serious mental issues and we should not enable these. If an adult wants to transition, that's fine, but it is child abuse to treat any child as genderfluid or opposite from the gender they were born with before their legal adulthood.

Saying I have a problem with any of those groups is a mischaracterization, saying I want to restrict any of those groups is an outright lie

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

1. "Systematic" racism vs racism. There is a difference. We used to have systematic racism in the US. Now we don't
2. I have no problem with women except for feminists, and even then I judge them on an individual basis. I have no problem with gays whatsoever, nor have I ever even implied something close to the sort. I believe transgenders have serious mental issues and we should not enable these. If an adult wants to transition, that's fine, but it is child abuse to treat any child as genderfluid or opposite from the gender they were born with before their legal adulthood.

Saying I have a problem with any of those groups is a mischaracterization, saying I want to restrict any of those groups is an outright lie
Okay great but you're saying that Shapiro is not a bigot?

He supports gay conversion therapy, fact.

He thinks Muslims are subhumans, fact,

He thinks trans people are subhumans, fact.

He thinks woman's right to choose is not a right, fact.

How is he different than a garden variety religious bigot like Fred Phelps, except that he went to Harvard?

Why are you supporting Shapiro if you don't support what he's saying?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
FecalFace said:
Duffy said:
FecalFace said:
Hate speech, bigotry, spreading lies, inciting violence..... it's antisocial behavior.

You, not so much.
I don’t know how it is that I’m a bigot in your mind. Whatever....

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Duffy said:
FecalFace said:
Duffy said:
FecalFace said:

You, not so much.
I don’t know how it is that I’m a bigot in your mind. Whatever....
You're accidental bigot, you don't really think through your hate speech.

You think that being gay is the same as having weird ears and that that's the valid reason to refuse service to someone.

Or that time you said it's mother's fault because Trump put kids in cages and how compassionate that is.

Weird stuff like that.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Alex Jones pushes the flat earth, bohter?

Or the 'think for yourself' stuff after all the other kookiness?

"Over two decades, Jones has built a profitable business selling diet supplements, survivalist gear, and air and water filtration equipment as he spread bizarre theories, including that the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, were an inside job, that the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, was a government-backed hoax, and that various government-orchestrated plots are responsible for poisoning Americans’ water, air and food. Jones promotes himself and Infowars as near-solitary truth tellers in a news landscape dominated by left-leaning “corporatist” media — even though the popular Drudge Report website broadcast his show on Monday."

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

Okay great but you're saying that Shapiro is not a bigot?

He supports gay conversion therapy, fact.

He thinks Muslims are subhumans, fact,

He thinks trans people are subhumans, fact.

He thinks woman's right to choose is not a right, fact.

How is he different than a garden variety religious bigot like Fred Phelps, except that he went to Harvard?

Why are you supporting Shapiro if you don't support what he's saying?
None of those are facts. Those are mischaracterizations of his position put through your distorted lenses