Is There Some Reason Why LA Tourists Don't Go North On Friday's?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You should see the Frannies up here. And they meet with the Oregonians and Washingtonians in the same spot.

I try to not to be a Hurry McFurry these days but fuck, 25 in a 50 is a little too much!

I could tell they were Frannies when they rode up wearing masks. And promptly got their Fiat stuck in the sand. :roflmao:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I don't say this to hurt feelings but I can't remember the last time I had to get on a freeway to go somewhere.
I've got about a 5 mile radius around my private Idaho and it's only a half circle because I'm already up against the ocean.
If I had to commute for work I'd be outta here.
On weekends I only ride my beach cruiser or Honda scooter all possible.
Hogareño ~out

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I don't say this to hurt feelings but I can't remember the last time I had to get on a freeway to go somewhere.
I've got about a 5 mile radius around my private Idaho and it's only a half circle because I'm already up against the ocean.
If I had to commute for work I'd be outta here.
On weekends I only ride my beach cruiser or Honda scooter all possible.
Hogareño ~out
god i wish i had the opportunity to stik my arse out the window with you riding your scooter next to me

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
friday? you got nothing. summer. the greater sacramento basin from auburn to livermore, chico to stockton drains west starting midday thursday and, since nobody works anymore, straggles back home tuesday morning. leaving us exactly one moment wednesday at 10:26am to sit crosslegged in the middle of hwy one and sing kumbaya

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
You should see the reverse Sunday afternoon going north on I-5 from O'side/Carlsbad.

Camp Pendleton offers no escape. Solid bumper2bumper well past San Clemente/SJC into Mission Viejo.

The Escape from LA summer weekend warriors get no relief, even on little weekend getaways to SD.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Seriously. The backup into Oceanside was almost up to the Navy Hovercraft base at about 12:30 today.

Is Santa Barbara not an option?
:roflmao:
Have you ever been to SB on a nice weekend? It's a gigantic shitshow, I think partially to escape inland heat if anything cuz it's uncomfortably hot only a few times a year, and there's a shitload of stuff to do. European tourists, Santa Maria, SFV, LA, Bakersfield, etc. I don't drive in town on those weekends. There's a parade today, so it'll be extra packed and trafficky. It certainly brings in $$ so I wouldn't knock it.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My routines are set up to avoid traffic.

I'm kind of neurotic about it.

Some people don't think about it at all.

I got off work at rush hour.

I kind of got used to driving it.

I would wait for traffic to die down and then get home at 8:00 at night.

Where as rush hour just adds another 30-45 minutes.

The problem with rush hour driving is it's more draining.

After an hour and 45 minutes in traffic, I always take a long nap.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
SB is packed with LA'ers every weekend. The downtown/beach/harbor tourist zone is a shitshow, traffic is a nightmare. If a local has to go down south for some reason on a Sunday afternoon they are screwed.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
:roflmao:
Have you ever been to SB on a nice weekend? It's a gigantic shitshow, I think partially to escape inland heat if anything cuz it's uncomfortably hot only a few times a year, and there's a shitload of stuff to do. European tourists, Santa Maria, SFV, LA, Bakersfield, etc. I don't drive in town on those weekends. There's a parade today, so it'll be extra packed and trafficky. It certainly brings in $$ so I wouldn't knock it.
The Solstice parade is rad
1656173873574.png
1656173904612.png
1656174300443.png

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Seriously. The backup into Oceanside was almost up to the Navy Hovercraft base at about 12:30 today.

Is Santa Barbara not an option?
Actually, backing up to the Navy Hovercraft base isn't that bad for a summer Friday getaway. I've seen it back up going south (while heading north on I-5) all the way up into San Clemente and even further up into OC.

Saturday late AM traffic south in summer is also very bad. If you're not down to Camp Pen by 9-10 AM going south, you're going to be in traffic worse than normal weekday AM rush hour North County SD by 11AM or later.

Camp Pen offers no escape routes, and if there's an accident during these weekend jams in the base area, forget about any schedules and/or give yourself an extra hour or more.

I don't know how many couples/families I've chatted with over the years that live in LA/OC/IE that say never again for those SD weekend getaways. But do it all over again the next year. I used to do it myself in the 80's from Redondo, but always left early, and rarely on a Friday. So many more people in LA/OC/IE now than the 80's though.

So glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
And where do they park their cars?View attachment 132438
Part of
Actually, backing up to the Navy Hovercraft base isn't that bad for a summer Friday getaway. I've seen it back up going south (while heading north on I-5) all the way up into San Clemente and even further up into OC.
I have too, it's just usually a little later than noon. It was fing gnarly last year when that truck overturned near Las Pulgas. Fortunately I bailed before the Carl's by lowers and just ate and hung out in the parking lot for a few hours.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Ahh traffic. The plague of our times, especially in So Cal.

Some observations: I'm below the Conejo grade, about 20 minutes from Ventura Point. If you live further
east, you're going to be screwed heading towards the coast after 10 am, especially on the weekend.

How do I know this? Every weekend it happens. Just don't do it. Backed up from Thousand Oaks to Ventura heading
north on 101.

And here's a hats off to Cal Trans for that CF they've been pulling between Ventura and SB. Take your eyes
off the road and you're into a K rail. And that thing with the split lanes southbound is some kind of insanity.