Is it time to start euthanizing the homeless?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Coat Hanger said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
BillyOcean said:
I would say this is an aspect of lack of appropriate healthcare

Very few chose to be homeless in any meaningful sense

They are generally mentally ill
Unless you count self-inflicted drug use as mentally ill, you're way off base
Why would anybody self-inflict anything harmful in the first place?

You're not too bright.
Ever hear of fast food?

You're not too bright.
He got you there Fecal

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
BillyOcean said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:
I used to walk through Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village every morning and see this homeless guy passed out on a bench with a bunch of empty mouthwash bottles surrounding him

Imagine being such an alcoholic that you’d drink 3 large bottles of listerine every day

Can’t really call that a choice
He has chosen addiction over sobriety.

Help does exist.

But many such people don't want to pay by the rules.
There are levels though

Some people really aren’t capable of “choosing” a better way or navigating the process to get help

For example, one of my kids is non verbal

If he wasn’t born into our family, I would say he’d have high odds of ending up homeless and would be unable to even ask for help

In those circumstances, it would be understandable for someone to get f’d up all of the time to escape the misery

That's where the state mental hospital should come into play.

People that for the most part are capable of functioning normally are the ones I'm referring to.

They have to choose sobriety over addiction.

This is true whether one falls into the "It's a disease" or "It's a choice" camps. Or a mix of both. You have to choose sobriety over addiction.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:
I used to walk through Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village every morning and see this homeless guy passed out on a bench with a bunch of empty mouthwash bottles surrounding him

Imagine being such an alcoholic that you’d drink 3 large bottles of listerine every day

Help does exist.

Addiction is a choice!

Just like poverty.

Just pull yourself by the bootstraps you fvcking hobos and stop being addicted.

Our in-house medical expert has spoken.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Honestly, most homeless are just lazy fvcks that took a few too many wrong turns.

They won't work, because they choose not to. I never see any homeless standing around the day labor pick up spots. But I see lots of them a block away at the Salvation Army rescue center.

I don't see too many of them buying some food at the grocery store, but i see lots of them sleeping in the park with a couple of 40 oz. empties laying near by.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
stu dog said:
casa_mugrienta said:
part of the homeless problem, state hospitals closing
Yes, that is a part. Try asking a street corner of homeless if they want to get in your truck, and pick avocados or strawberries for a day to see the bigger part of the problem.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
BillyOcean said:

It started as a choice, and even in the worst depths of addiction it requires choices to stay clean

These people are only victims of themselves

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
FecalFace said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:

Help does exist.

Addiction is a choice!

Just like poverty.

Addiction is a choice. Drugs are expensive. Nobody accidentally fell into a pile of meth. The number of medical patients who got addicted to opiates, and their doctor would not help them get off is tiny. I've had surgeries. I've been given opiates. It is a choice to continue them after the prescription runs out, rather than saying doctor, I have a problem.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
BillyOcean said:

Yeah, people will complain about the cost of state run mental institutions but its not like there isn't currently a cost in the form of local police dealing with them, home owners and businesses cleaning trash, bodily fluids, needles etc.

They should just turn abandoned shopping malls and stadiums into homeless rescues where they can get free drugs and booze. Offer counseling if they want it. Maybe they'll turn it around, maybe not.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Phi1 said:
BillyOcean said:

Yeah, people will complain about the cost of state run mental institutions but its not like there isn't currently a cost in the form of local police dealing with them, home owners and businesses cleaning trash, bodily fluids, needles etc.

They should just turn abandoned shopping malls and stadiums into homeless rescues where they can get free drugs and booze. Offer counseling if they want it. Maybe they'll turn it around, maybe not.
or now the cost of having to build new homeless housing. kind of a new replacement for state hospitals we should have kept funding. instead now there's a new tax and more bureaucracy added on top. it's not like the state couldn't afford it with our massive rainy day fund that hasn't been tapped since the financial meltdown when it started.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
ifallalot said:
BillyOcean said:

It started as a choice, and even in the worst depths of addiction it requires choices to stay clean

In the strictest sense sure, it was a choice. But if you're schizophrenic or bi polar or something and you had crappy health insurance and are poor, the choice might be between total misery and partial misery. I get where you're coming from I think, but once someone falls that far I'm thinking we can do better than just accepting BLM style camping in our cities while we collectively walk past, latte in one hand, phone in the other :shrug:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
the janitor said:
ifallalot said:
BillyOcean said:

In the strictest sense sure, it was a choice. But if you're schizophrenic or bi polar or something and you had crappy health insurance and are poor, the choice might be between total misery and partial misery. I get where you're coming from I think, but once someone falls that far I'm thinking we can do better than just accepting BLM style camping in our cities while we collectively walk past, latte in one hand, phone in the other :shrug:
That's why we need state mental hospitals.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
everysurfr said:
FecalFace said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:

Help does exist.

Addiction is a choice!

Just like poverty.

Addiction is a choice. Drugs are expensive. Nobody accidentally fell into a pile of meth. The number of medical patients who got addicted to opiates, and their doctor would not help them get off is tiny. I've had surgeries. I've been given opiates. It is a choice to continue them after the prescription runs out, rather than saying doctor, I have a problem.
Maybe you missed the whole two wars for nearly 20 years thing wherein the VA was chucking Oxy around like mad for the first decade - and then decided to abruptly shut off the tap - which led to Vets switching over to heroin thing?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
ifallalot said:
BillyOcean said:

Free will is a spectrum

I’m not saying addicts, homeless, etc have no responsibility but the level of meaningful choosing really varies

If you are mentally handicapped do you really understand the risk of taking heroin?

I had an uncle who developed schizophrenia in college

He was a math major at an Ivy then went completely off the rails and disappeared

My other uncle found out a couple of decades later that he died as a homeless man

People think they have their sh!t together but you never really know

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:

Help does exist.

There are levels though

Some people really aren’t capable of “choosing” a better way or navigating the process to get help

If he wasn’t born into our family, I would say he’d have high odds of ending up homeless and would be unable to even ask for help

In those circumstances, it would be understandable for someone to get f’d up all of the time to escape the misery

People that for the most part are capable of functioning normally are the ones I'm referring to.

This is true whether one falls into the "It's a disease" or "It's a choice" camps. Or a mix of both. You have to choose sobriety over addiction.
Yeah, we probably do need more mental hospitals

But the old ones were pretty cruel

There’s a lot of quackery in mental health

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
BillyOcean said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:

Help does exist.

There are levels though

Yeah, we probably do need more mental hospitals

But the old ones were pretty cruel
The homeless camps are worse.

Life on the street is cruel and dangerous.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
the janitor said:
everysurfr said:
FecalFace said:
casa_mugrienta said:
BillyOcean said:

Help does exist.

Addiction is a choice!

Just like poverty.

Maybe you missed the whole two wars for nearly 20 years thing wherein the VA was chucking Oxy around like mad for the first decade - and then decided to abruptly shut off the tap - which led to Vets switching over to heroin thing?

I'm really aware of what big pharma did. They should be in jail as drug dealers. However... If you look at the homeless encampments, the percentages aren't injured soldiers, who were prescribed pain meds by careless doctor's. The high percentages are the kid we knew growing up, who didn't do their homework, didn't listen to the teachers, didn't listen to authority, didn't do sports or get a summer job, and they thought the could get by with just acting cool.

Life and Darwinism are an unkind mistress.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
everysurfr said:
However... If you look at the homeless encampments, the percentages aren't injured soldiers, who were prescribed pain meds by careless doctor's. The high percentages are the kid we knew growing up, who didn't do their homework, didn't listen to the teachers, didn't listen to authority, didn't do sports or get a summer job, and they thought the could get by with just acting cool.
Granted I'm only exposed to a few of the smaller LA encampments near me, but this does not ring true at all.

Not saying it's mostly vets, but it's definitely not mostly former cool kids either.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Fentynal is a killer.

But the homeless problem is multi variate.

It's really hard to live a "normal" life if you are in a low paying job.

That is priming the nervous system of said homeless.

The 10% number of people having addiction issues is pretty consistent.

Though I see a lot of denial of this fact.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
bird. said:
everysurfr said:
However... If you look at the homeless encampments, the percentages aren't injured soldiers, who were prescribed pain meds by careless doctor's. The high percentages are the kid we knew growing up, who didn't do their homework, didn't listen to the teachers, didn't listen to authority, didn't do sports or get a summer job, and they thought the could get by with just acting cool.
Granted I'm only exposed to a few of the smaller LA encampments near me, but this does not ring true at all.

Not saying it's mostly vets, but it's definitely not mostly former cool kids either.
This sounds like a revenge fantasy of a high school math league member