Iron Neck 3.0 pro

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I strengthen the neck by using my head as a weight.

Lay on back, lift head off floor to neutral position (head will remain lifted throughout entire cycle)…

…20 reps each…

…tuck chin to chest and back neutral

…swivel to one side and back to neutral

…other side

….ear to shoulder and back to neutral

…other side

Rest. Repeat until you want to die.
Tried this and it felt good. Will have to add to the morning routine.

I see now that I did it wrong though, doing full range of motion instead of returning to neural.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I'm one of the rare cases that BJJ actually improved my neck. I had some cervical spine compression from years of paddling. When I started BJJ 6 years ago, all of that went away due to the neck exercises we do in warm ups.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
If things are seriously screwed up you can start with isometrics. I started with that. Then made a rig with nylon webbing. Then added bungee cord. Hit all four directions. Then I figured out how to do rotation with my home rig. Then I saw the IN. It was so close to what I had figured out, over the course of years, that I had to have it. I was most of the way there.

Reactions: Boneroni

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Here’s a way without using stuff. Just body weight.
I lay flat on my back, scoot my feet up under my knees, then arch my hips high and balance on my head, roll head around to stretch neck.

Reactions: terdroamer

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Yes, bear hands. That’s why he could kill men with them so late in life. Until the neck cancer got him, anyhow.

Landloct

Kelly Slater status
Jul 18, 2002
If things are seriously screwed up you can start with isometrics. I started with that. Then made a rig with nylon webbing. Then added bungee cord. Hit all four directions. Then I figured out how to do rotation with my home rig. Then I saw the IN. It was so close to what I had figured out, over the course of years, that I had to have it. I was most of the way there.

10:45 if it doesn't start there automatically.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

10:45 if it doesn't start there automatically.
Yeah. That's what I eventually came up with. Started with a Doc telling me to just apply resistance with my hands while doing isometrics. One thing led to another and I rigged up something like that. Which led to the IN.

Bridging is not good for your neck. You can use a weight bench to do a bridge that is easier on your body. I'll see if I can find video...

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I remember being told a long time ago that if you look at yourself in a mirror and your neck doesn't get wider below your ears, you're a pencil neck. And in contact sports, pencil necks get knocked out easy. Surfing eats necks long term. I spend a lot of time looking down at the deck of my board as I paddle and save the hyper extension for when I am paddling into waves or negotiating my way into position through a pack of surfers.

Reactions: santacruzin

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The neck doesn't exist in isolation. Sitting in chairs, paddling, or doing anything else can make you stiff. I recommend reading "Explain pain" (I have it in .pdf if you want) and trying one of these online programs.

Landloct

Kelly Slater status
Jul 18, 2002
Yeah. That's what I eventually came up with. Started with a Doc telling me to just apply resistance with my hands while doing isometrics. One thing led to another and I rigged up something like that. Which led to the IN.

Bridging is not good for your neck. You can use a weight bench to do a bridge that is easier on your body. I'll see if I can find video...
I got Iron Neck's Alpha webbing harness and hooked it up using resistance bands and carabiners to get a similar setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharky

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
IMO, you can think too much about your pain. If you're seriously screwed up start with the isometrics. Then progress. Just move. Get stronger. Avoid using this...

1713978369647.png

using a lot of weight and bringing your chin full range of motion down to your chest. That's for the young, healthy and stupid. Same for neck bridges IMO. The modified versions I showed above, maybe after a while. Sure. Don't start there. You don't want to squirt what is left of your cervical discs out the back of your neck. Go slow. But do something. Surfing eats necks. I'm more than twice the age at which I was told I needed to quit surfing/contact sports. I have very little pain. I ride a 6'2" most of the time. Be smart about it and start slow. Don't obsess over the pain and what you envision happening to your spine. The IN does a little better job than my messed up invention. It's overpriced but convenient. You can start by just moving away from the anchor point, using the lower power band, holding your neck posture under resistance for say ten seconds. All four directions. Then start adding in the neck turning/figure 8's etc.

The cost of something that is going to help you do what you love for decades is peanuts by the way. Fvck the money. You can't take it with you.

Reactions: Landloct

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Matt’s kind of weird, but this looks like an easy place to start

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
IMO, you can think too much about your pain. If you're seriously screwed up start with the isometrics. Then progress. Just move. Get stronger. Avoid using this...

The cost of something that is going to help you do what you love for decades is peanuts by the way. Fvck the money. You can't take it with you.
I'm not sure why anyone would start with a 45 lb plate on the neck harness. I was thinking 1.25 lbs or 2.5 lbs.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I would take that harness, attach it to some bungee cord, rig it up so you are anchoring it about standing/eye level and move away from the anchor point and hold your posture for 10-20 seconds.

And in my late 20's, I was putting more than 45 pounds on the harness. It felt good. At first. Until it didn't.

I never claimed to be smart...

You can start by laying on your back on your bed with your head and neck off the end and just use the weight of your head. Then reverse. But yeah, don't be dumb like I was and try and git er done ASAP.

Good luck.