Indictment? (...or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love "Any Day Now")

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
This whole thing is very bad politically for Trump. His whiny little bitch act plays well with his base but no one else. If the MAGA Maniacs resort to violence, the rest of the country will be appalled and repulsed even more than they already are. Even those conservatives who are mildly in agreement with them about immigration or taxes or whatever will be forever turned off.

Trump will end up with a base cult of 30 million Americans who will never leave him, no matter what. Just enough to screw the rest of the Republican Party but not enough to ever get back to the White House.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I always thought a Grand Jury is looking at the evidence and deciding if the state has at least 51% of guilt of crime. If they do, to actual trial because charged/indicted people are innocent until proven otherwise by preponderance of the evidence.
For a lawsuit 51%, but for a criminal trial it's beyond a reasonable doubt.
i've never heard of a grand jury being involved in civil suits

Last edited:

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
@hammies

that’s a good point. If his rabid followers pop off, that would definitely be a bad look.

of course, I hope the other side keeps its cool and just grabs more popcorn.

the last thing this country needs is more clashes in the streets

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
This whole thing is very bad politically for Trump. His whiny little bitch act plays well with his base but no one else. If the MAGA Maniacs resort to violence, the rest of the country will be appalled and repulsed even more than they already are. Even those conservatives who are mildly in agreement with them about immigration or taxes or whatever will be forever turned off.

Trump will end up with a base cult of 30 million Americans who will never leave him, no matter what. Just enough to screw the rest of the Republican Party but not enough to ever get back to the White House.
His ex wife “fell” down some stairs so ya never know at his age anything can happen.

If he fell down the stairs today it wouldn’t help the republicans, at this point they will be lucky to contend in 2028.

I don’t think this mess deserves the attention it is getting. Reality TV for the masses.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If he fell down the stairs today it wouldn’t help the republicans, at this point they will be lucky to contend in 2028.
I disagree. Biden is vulnerable; a level-headed RINO Republican could beat him.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I disagree. Biden is vulnerable; a level-headed RINO Republican could beat him.
He was vulnerable in 2020. VP is the key. Kicking Kammie to the curb will be some interesting entertainment.

The level headed RINOs don’t get much press. Hibernation?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

In the short term this is probably good for him politically. Fundraising bonanza, popularity bump...and this trial is going to take for-ev-er. A couple more indictments might come down from other cases.

If those other indictments don't come down, I have my doubts. Some of the talking heads think the evidence is more than enough to indict but might not be beyond reasonable doubt, and all it's gonna take is one juror, right?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm with you except that justice needs to be administered equally. The gymnastics the DA office took on to charge a man with a crime(s) that goes uncharged by the same office 100% of the time (and also went uncharged by the DOJ and this DA's predecessor) looks and sounds like a political persecution. Heck this DA's office doesn't prosecute very many crimes at all...it's one of the worst in the country. We don't do this here. There's one thing we know....American sucks at putting genies back in the bottle. There is no one on earth immune to a grand jury and there is no one on earth who hasn't fudged something in their lives...no matter how trivial. Should every DA office go on a witch hunt for every single infraction for every single citizen? That's what you're saying.
what gymnastics, exactly?

the indictment remains under seal FFS...what are you even talking about?

how weird that Trump's DOJ didn't prosecute....and by weird I mean, totally predictable. that a Trump sycophant was inactive on this case is not indicative of anything but actual political motivation in law enforcement

let's not forget that they already prosecuted Cohen for this crime...no one had any problems with that then, but because they rolled it up to the other guy that was involved, all of a sudden it's clutching pearls and fainting couches

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If those other indictments don't come down, I have my doubts. Some of the talking heads think the evidence is more than enough to indict but might not be beyond reasonable doubt, and all it's gonna take is one juror, right?
Do you think Team Trump is gonna try to tamper with the jury? IMO it's not unreasonable to think they'd try.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I always thought a Grand Jury is looking at the evidence and deciding if the state has at least 51% of guilt of crime. If they do, to actual trial because charged/indicted people are innocent until proven otherwise by preponderance of the evidence.
My understanding is that its a fairly one sided presentation by the witnesses and prosecution and it just takes 12 members of the jury pool of 23 people to vote to hand down an indictment. That's why this went down in NY with a leftist DA and a heavily leftist grand jury pool. This is also why you can indict a ham sammish.

• Haha
Reactions: hal9000

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My understanding is that its a fairly one sided presentation by the witnesses and prosecution and it just takes 12 members of the jury pool of 23 people to vote to hand down an indictment. That's why this went down in NY with a leftist DA and a heavily leftist grand jury pool. This is also why you can indict a ham sammish.
Get out my country if you do not like our justice system. Your whining for a lifelong crook is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: hal9000

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Get out my country if you do not like our justice system. Your whining for a lifelong crook is beyond pathetic.
Pipe down ya imbecil. I was explaining how the system works.

• Dislike
Reactions: mundus