ignore

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
First post that set up the thread was deleted so here it is (I bolded and underlined the important parts).

"I just retired last week at age 61. 90% of the reason was that I want to do again what I did in the winter of 2001 when I spent 2 months surfing at SanO and camping at San Mateo most nights. Retired, I can't afford $1200/month for campsite fees. So I figured I would buy a vehicle where I could fit my 10'3" longboard (which I bought in Santa Cruz in 2001, shaper Bob Miller) inside the van. I had the mistaken impression that only Dodge Grand Caravans and Chrysler Pacificas allowed all four rear seats to fold into the floor. I didn't do enough research which is my life story.

Yes, the board fits in the Dodge, but I have to fully recline the front passenger seat and the nose of the board hits the glove compartment. (Did I mention I didn't plan, nor have not done anything with my life which put me in this predicament in the first place?" I am guessing from what I read online about stealth camping in SoCal that this would be a huge red flag to anyone walking buy that there is someone sleeping inside. I'll try it this fall and winter, and if I get too many knocks I'll remove the passenger seat, that way the board sits on the floor and I can just put a duffle bag on the part visible from outside (I'll have a black curtain behind the front seats).

Apparently what I should have bought was a Ford Transit Connect XL LWB. But spending more than 3 minutes on research was too painstaking, so here I am. They don't cost any more than my Dodge, and apparently the internal length is 17'4"! With that I could probably even fit my Mickey Munoz 12' glider in the back behind the passenger seats, or even my previous dreams and aspirations that I didn't engage in over the last 60 years which put me in this predicament. So this post is to help out anybody else who is considering stealth camping with a big longboard inside and dreaming about having a different vehicle. I measured, and even a 9 foot high volume board won't fit behind the passenger seat which I've should have known by doing a little bit of research.

EDIT: Maybe this needs to be moved to the travel forum? And PM me if you have info you don't want the whole world to see."
in summary:

"hey im looking to come to YOUR town and stink up the place and hog whatever parking is left for long periods of time. also i bought the wrong car lol! There will be a surfboard in the car and that's why i've come to you guys for advice. thanks!"

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
in summary:

"hey im looking to come to YOUR town and stink up the place and hog whatever parking is left for long periods of time. also i bought the wrong car lol! There will be a surfboard in the car and that's why i've come to you guys for advice. thanks!"
you forgot references to experiences from 20yrs ago as a relevant comparison and justification.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and cjs2002

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
I read this thread on its first page and wondered what it would become.

Van Life isn't difficult and if done right can leave no footprint and certainly not impede on any other human. Proper planning/execution/organization is all that is necessary. Seems a bit more due diligence is the solution to this person's plight. I know of dedicated aquatic folks with full time jobs/six figure salaries that save 85% of their paycheck due to proper van life etiquette...and score the west coast wherever its firing. Some folks invest in stocks/real estate/etc, some invest in being frugal/clever/minimalistic and let the aforementioned 85% be their nest eggs (some do all). Imagine all the billions of humans that lived without any squalor or inelegance a hundred to thousands of years ago and had zero of the advancements/technologies of today. There was never a more friendlier time in history to explore van life. Van life is a treat, and for those taking ideal advantage, it certainly feels like a life hack. Good luck to you sir.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
If you want to use the front of my house to park that fine. Water spigot is conveniently out front. I can leave the front door open so you can use the bathroom. Need anything else just call my cell, I'll be at work.
\
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40, 45, NIV).

Reactions: Galoot44 and Chocki

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Tragedy of the commons.

This reminds me of the never forget retards.

I can do what I want. It won't hurt nothing if do nothing.

You are telling me I can't do what I want?

WHHHHHHHHAAAA!

NEVER FORGET!

*see what I did.

Reactions: Chocki and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I read this thread on its first page and wondered what it would become.

Van Life isn't difficult and if done right can leave no footprint and certainly not impede on any other human. Proper planning/execution/organization is all that is necessary. Seems a bit more due diligence is the solution to this person's plight. I know of dedicated aquatic folks with full time jobs/six figure salaries that save 85% of their paycheck due to proper van life etiquette...and score the west coast wherever its firing. Some folks invest in stocks/real estate/etc, some invest in being frugal/clever/minimalistic and let the aforementioned 85% be their nest eggs (some do all). Imagine all the billions of humans that lived without any squalor or inelegance a hundred to thousands of years ago and had zero of the advancements/technologies of today. There was never a more friendlier time in history to explore van life. Van life is a treat, and for those taking ideal advantage, it certainly feels like a life hack. Good luck to you sir.
Problem is almost none of them do it right.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Not sure if Jesus dealt with someone defecating on his doorstep though. Even he wasn't above throwing people out of the temple.
No, Jesus was the one dropping the deuce.

If you yelled at him he did a magic trick on you with his super power.

Did you not read the Bible?

Heathens and Philisltines,

This place is full of them.

Was Jesus the first superhero?

Reactions: sickdog

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I would think that Jesus would say something like let he among us who has not shat or at least urinated in public cast the first vote to ban #vanlife in thy town

That and I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt. 'Cause it says like, I wanna be formal but I'm here to party too. I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party.

I also like to think he’s black and gets high a wicked lot.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I would think that Jesus would say something like let he among who has not shat or at least urinated in public cast the first vote to ban #vanlife in thy town

That and I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt. 'Cause it says like, I wanna be formal but I'm here to party too. I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party.

I also like to think he’s black and gets high a wicked lot.

Buddy_christ.jpg

Buddy Christ!

Reactions: Chocki and sickdog

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That’s part of it, ya dork. :roflmao:
I've never been a faithful viewer of SNL and even I know of that Farley skit. It's timeless.

As far you calling me a narc for weed, yeah . . . let's just say I've been on the wrong side of that table before in a far less tolerant time and place :toilet:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Here is a solution for everyone:

Cook all the meth you want with your neighbors, spread all your trash, no major rules, well off the beaten track, and people who don't want this sh!t in their neighborhood don't need to deal with the crime, debris, feces, etc.

If TX and FL send CA illegal immigrants,, I think shipping them our homeless is a more than fair trade. They can continue to wipe Ozzy's p*ss off the Alamo or help catch Burmese pythons in the everglades, whatever, SOMETHING/ANYTHING that doesn't make the world a sh!t-filled place.

Reactions: Aruka and Chocki