If gov't is accountable to the press, then to whom is the press accountable?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Some of these news outlets have retired the "reader comment" feature so their readers can't respond to these articles. They clearly neither value nor desire the feedback they were getting from their readers.

Of course, it's only some of these news outlets that do that.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is something to be said for having to write a letter and mailing it through the mail service.

It makes us more measured.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
To answer your question, the consumer. If you don't like what they do don't support them or their advertisers.
The comment section has been infiltrated with so many trolls it is impossible to get sincere feedback. They should figure out a new method. Maybe those leaving feedback must leave their real name and address.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GDaddy said:
If gov't is accountable to the press, then to whom is the press accountable?
Check your premise.

Government is accountable to the people, not the press.

Press exists because people can't ask questions or hold government responsible or have access to the WH pressroom.

Press is just an information catalyst. Or it should be in a civil, democratic society.
In the US it's mainly guided by profit with a handful of exceptions who still adhere to journalistic ethic.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Both are accountable to the people.

Government should have zero influence on press, including the president. It's something I'm surprised more people aren't in agreement with.

You're also putting way too much merit into the comment section on internet articles; which historically is a very new factor to the press and the removal of which by no means shows they are any less accountable by the people. Not to mention the comment section's were removed more likely due to dumb trolls than an attempt to stifle public opinion on various news outlets and their articles.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'm not talking about government doing anything here. I'm talking about how some of these media outlets are preventing the readers from posting feedback. They are not tolerating any discussion by these readers with each other about the content of the articles.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
GDaddy said:
I'm not talking about government doing anything here. I'm talking about how some of these media outlets are preventing the readers from posting feedback. They are not tolerating any discussion by these readers with each other about the content of the articles.
It's hit or miss. Some outlets allow comments on some articles but not on others, especially if it's a pending train wreck (i.e. abortion).

Then, of course, you see some sites (Fox) where it is apparent that we should never have promoted internet access to the trailer parks. But at least it is a good insight towards why America is tumbling down the world ranks in education, IQ, meth abstinence, etc.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
GDaddy said:
You are talking about government; government accountability for a news outlet vs peoples accountability for.

My comments still stand nonetheless. We all know where you're trying to go here; big deal some outlets removed comments sections due to trolling and non-discourse. There's very little, if any, accountability happening in internet commenting of articles. You're trying to make mountains out of molehills.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GDaddy said:
It's unproductive, just like this forum.

It's just an outlet for people to vent.

It's much more dangerous for democracy that Trump sees press as the enemy of the people.

It's pretty easy to find an email or a phone number, if you really want to comment.

Or sit down and write a letter to the editor, if you're have retardation like Trump.

Save your "debates" for the Thanks Giving dinner table or erBB.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If you give people a forum to lob grenades over a fence without repercussion it's always going to go to Heart of Darkness fast.

I think it's something we don't even have control over.

No one is regulating.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
manbearpig said:
GDaddy said:
You are talking about government; government accountability for a news outlet vs peoples accountability for.

My comments still stand nonetheless. We all know where you're trying to go here; big deal some outlets removed comments sections due to trolling and non-discourse. There's very little, if any, accountability happening in internet commenting of articles. You're trying to make mountains out of molehills.
No, it's the press who thinks their job is to hold government to account. And you're completely right, I think it's chickensht of virtually any media outlet to cut off all discourse from their readers as if their content should stand unchallenged. Fck that.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Reporting what the government does, is part of their job. That is part of the accountability that we are talking about here.

With no press how are citizens supposed to be aware of that "responsibility"?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GDaddy said:
manbearpig said:
GDaddy said:

No, it's the press who thinks their job is to hold government to account. And you're completely right, I think it's chickensht of virtually any media outlet to cut off all discourse from their readers as if their content should stand unchallenged. Fck that.
How is that any different than it was before the internet?

You think that you commenting and arguing with someone in the article comments section is going to change the content?

:roflmao:

You are glossing over the important and getting outraged about the trivial.

Like the fact that most media is profit driven, instead of truth driven.

And the fact that Trump declared war on journalism and truth, like every good fascist does.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
GDaddy said:
Some of these news outlets have retired the "reader comment" feature so their readers can't respond to these articles. They clearly neither value nor desire the feedback they were getting from their readers.

Of course, it's only some of these news outlets that do that.
What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press" do you not understand? 1A, luv it or leave it! USA! USA! USA!

:wink2:

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
craigj532 said:
CNN must pay for depriving the world of your brilliant comments!
Ahhh yes. CNN!

Believe it or not, CNN, during the Clinton administration, had on-line forums for almost every political issue. I believe these forums were in fact the birthplace of internet trolling. Somewhere at CNN they should put up a plaque to memorialize this world-shaping event. Wait... I'm thinking I'm getting a teary now, but without CNN, I probably wouldn't have my 4,652 troll handles. God Bless you CNN!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
GWS said:
craigj532 said:
CNN must pay for depriving the world of your brilliant comments!
Ahhh yes. CNN!

Believe it or not, CNN, during the Clinton administration, had on-line forums for almost every political issue. I believe these forums were in fact the birthplace of internet trolling. Somewhere at CNN they should put up a plaque to memorialize this world-shaping event. Wait... I'm thinking I'm getting a teary now, but without CNN, I probably wouldn't have my 4,652 troll handles. God Bless you CNN!
That's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Even better than my LMAO @U Dum Dums troll on the SD Union Tribune. Oh those poor, gullible Charger fans. They still think they'll win a Super Bowl for San Diego.