Identifying boar characteristics

Mar 11, 2023
HPSB's require very selective input with the back foot.

IMO it's an issue that can be fixed quite easily instead of buying boards that accommodate poor technique.
Yeah I get that and I can typically kinda figure out what it needs but there's some boards that I feel like I just don't connect with as well as other. Just trying to see if there's a common denominator that I just don't jive with, and maybe that will help me figure out where I need to improve.

Probably stick with Pyzels for a while
Funny enough Ive gone through a gamut of Pyzels and came to the conclusion that they are definitely better suited for HI waves. Ive gone from Gremlin/Astropop up to Ghost and while I had some fun on them I felt like I needed to work harder on them than some others I previously mentioned. But the P2 is a different story, that thing works in all.

I figured CA shapes will work better in CA waves. That's why Ive dived deep into CI boards with better success. This SD2.0 is the first Lost Ive ever ridden and honestly it's the best feeling small wave performance board Ive ridden. Im tripping on how fun it is. Has me wondering if I should go down the Mayhem rabbit hole.

Reactions: encladd and Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I figured CA shapes will work better in CA waves. That's why Ive dived deep into CI boards with better success. This SD2.0 is the first Lost Ive ever ridden and honestly it's the best feeling small wave performance board Ive ridden. Im tripping on how fun it is. Has me wondering if I should go down the Mayhem rabbit hole.
I would do that. Just stay in the Driver family of boards.

The Rocket family consists of low nose rocker / high tail rocker boards. Based on what we've heard so far, this style of rocker might not suit you.

But I would absolutely take @Swallow Tail's advice and measure all your boards and compare the ones you like to the ones you don't like. It can be very helpful.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Both the Pyzalien and Subdriver have vee out the back while the majority of shortboards do not.

Usually vee is used to loosen up a lower rocker board.

Just something to consider.

I think exploring the lost models is a solid idea. Especially if the stock dims work for you. Their custom order process is notoriously sh1t.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think exploring the lost models is a solid idea. Especially if the stock dims work for you. Their custom order process is notoriously sh1t.
Yes, @MomentaryBliss TBH I would contact Lost and ask them what rockers are similarly balanced to those in the Driver lineup, if they don't know...I don't know where you live but if you want to ask MB in person it's pretty easy to figure out where their production is done...just maybe ask if Matt is around.

Also, Xanadu has his rockers categorized into families - different style board than Lost but you will know what you're getting in terms of "will this board have a main characteristic that makes sense under my feet". He is very helpful by phone/in person. If you live in CA you can't go wrong with the SW21, Xank, or Pig 2. Here is the family of rocker you like:

But as freeride said, you like the SubDriver 2.0, you kinda have your answer. Stick with the board you like and ride it.

When it's time for a new board, stick with the style of rocker you like.

Reactions: MomentaryBliss
Mar 11, 2023
So I had an interesting experience today. Been mainly riding my SD2.0 in every day conditions but with this south in the water I decided to ride something else. I recently came across a CI Pro and Driver 3.0. Honestly with my experience with CI vs the SD2.0 I figured Id love the Driver 3.0 and not dig the CI Pro. It was the complete opposite. The CI Pro felt amazing, paddled into waves early, super fast and felt great on rail and over all just easy to surf. The way the Driver 3.0 felt reminded me of what I didn't like on the Fever and even the Happy Everyday, felt like it was dead in the water, draggy even in the pocket and just a lot more work to get going. Maybe it was a bad second sesh for the day but the difference really surprised me.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So I had an interesting experience today. Been mainly riding my SD2.0 in every day conditions but with this south in the water I decided to ride something else. I recently came across a CI Pro and Driver 3.0. Honestly with my experience with CI vs the SD2.0 I figured Id love the Driver 3.0 and not dig the CI Pro. It was the complete opposite. The CI Pro felt amazing, paddled into waves early, super fast and felt great on rail and over all just easy to surf. The way the Driver 3.0 felt reminded me of what I didn't like on the Fever and even the Happy Everyday, felt like it was dead in the water, draggy even in the pocket and just a lot more work to get going. Maybe it was a bad second sesh for the day but the difference really surprised me.
The CI Pro isn’t what most people think it is.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Funny, I surfed with a guy who (he's a JS Monsta faithful) who bought a CI Pro recently and was moaning about how it was super squirrely and had zero drive.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
How many different sets of fins did the OP try in each shape before turning negative on each board?
I have a SharpEye Disco that I must have tried five different sets of fins before I was happy. The huge difference between the best set and the worst set was pretty shocking........I wouldn't have believed the fins could alter a board that much before that. One set of fins was fantastic in small junky surf but absolutely atrocious in fast shoulder high waves.

Mar 11, 2023
How many different sets of fins did the OP try in each shape before turning negative on each board?
I have a SharpEye Disco that I must have tried five different sets of fins before I was happy. The huge difference between the best set and the worst set was pretty shocking........I wouldn't have believed the fins could alter a board that much before that. One set of fins was fantastic in small junky surf but absolutely atrocious in fast shoulder high waves.
The boards in my original post went through a variety of fins before they went on the chopping block. Maybe not 5+ but I definitely tried to like them. I’ll give the Driver 3.0 another swing next swell. This last one was on the JJFs and it was pretty bad

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'm guessing they're both Futures.