Ideal age to perish from this earth.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
"missed opportunities"

My Mom was a musician. Played the piano and had 3 Hammond B3 organs with 3 Leslie speakers with the "whirling horns". I played piano, organ, bugle / trumpet. Got involved with surfing and missed opportunities ~ lost my singing voice to Covid & coughing ~

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Most dementia is NOT genetic.

My mom has it. 86. Got me thinking. When I read about how to prevent dementia the first thing that comes up is exercise, stay active. Why do you think I’m running a marathon and a half every week. Also, do you even deadlift bro?

I hope you’re right re hereditary. Mom passed at 94 about 20 years ago, cause of death on her death certificate was ‘dementia.’ Bothered me ever since. I always ask my GP about dementia, he asks more detailed questions. Then tells me I’m fine (it always lurks in the back of my mind).

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
When I become a burden on anyone, that is when I hope I check out. My mom is 78 going on 88. Needs a cane. Rotates from the recliner to her rocker on the deck when the weather is nice to her bed. Waiting around to die. Her sister is 88 and just stopped her globe trotting ways due to cancer. My dad was 83 but his last 4 years were awful.

At 54, it makes me sad and depressed how little life I have left. I try not to think about it too much because I am really only working part time and have a hot young GF, still surfing, drinking amazing wine and loving my life.
You're still young. My parents had the aplomb to die right before they couldn't take care of themselves. I miss them.

Reactions: PPK96754

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Late 70's.

I doubt I'd be able to maintain the quality of life I would like much past that.

Maybe I'll get lucky and a shark will take me around that time.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
On the 14th of April, I went another click up, or possibly down the ladder to 78. Just recently had an injury that took me out for a couple of weeks but recovered fully but let me know, what might / will be ahead for me down the line. I'm not liking the slow shuffling of the feet which I had to do, the quick, sharp pains in the lower back region including a nerve and disc. Horrible feeling, mental BS that plays on one's mind of where one may be heading towards the unknown.

Bodysurf now at Kalihiwai or grab the boogie. Haven't surfed now for some time. My attitude is, I've been there and done that. Not much more for me to doin surfing. The ocean is the same, just my attitude of having to deal with the mass of people now in the ocean. Bodysurfing is just me and a wave all by myself. I don't have to adjust my anger level anymore in surfing. Being older doesn't give me anymore rights now than when I was a know it all bozo brat. Bodysurfing is free flowing for me now. My jets are cool and calm.

Still working in a restaurant, went to 4 days a week. Done with 5. Need more time to do the upkeep on my little parcel of land and home. House has been paid off for more that a decade.Gas, water, electricity & Home insurance and two cars are within my means and trips to the Big Island to see my g/f every other week is workable. And that, has added to a new adventure for me.

Trying to get my name on a roster of a small community fire dept Between Kona and Waimea being a volunteer when needed on the Big Island where my g/f lives. Small station, single pump engine. Spent a few dollars buying Nomex shirts & pants, boots, ( :bowdown: Firebird) goggles, gloves, all the toys.I already walk a few miles at work a night and have been spending early AM walks with a 30 pound fire pack, (mostly water) & gear going 2 to 4 miles around my community. Not easy, not hard, but I mumble a lot to myself. Time has to be put in to do the gig. Had to take a physical. Doctor shook his head at me. "Keep doing what you're doing. Your BMI is crazy for your age. You have your Afib under control". Cardiologist next and the dreaded ramp stress test.

I'm forgetting names. That's troublesome for me. Frustrating, for sure and I have to calm myself down. I step away, reorganize my thoughts or try to. One just stashes it way back in the closet, but it's lurking. Time will eventually be known.Overall, I"m a lucky SOB. No broken bones, eyes & ears still work, the slight tingle / numbness in the bottom of my feet are just there. Normal poop that happens. Feel VERY lucky / fortunate that a Woman has stepped up and into my life. After Deb had passed, life was looking pretty dismal being a single, old man punching a time clock until it stopped. Truly amazing to have a companion close by. Helps relieve the every day BS .... or sometimes, can contribute to it, :roflmao:but hey ...the companionship of another is the cats meow.

Just keep phuckin moving .... :cool:View attachment 179055
You are the Man, PPK. My now adult daughters still absolutely remember meeting you back in 2007 or so.