I Went Handboarding Today

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
I used to be kinda involved in the whole handboarding/bodysurfing thing, but since I kicked out a few years ago, I hadn't touched one. I am going on a big surf trip in October for 3 weeks, and need to get my Fatass in shape. No really, I'm Fat! Almost to the point where my weight is getting in the way of having fun surfing. With that being said, for the last week I've been doing alot of Cardio. When you only have a few hours a day to spend on yourself, surfing is honestly not the best way to get into shape. Usually not enough waves, and too much sitting around. So, I'm taking the month of May off of surfing and working on cardio and eating reasonably well. I will start putting in more paddling hours as the trip gets closer. So, how does this lead to handboarding. Well my son asked yesterday if we could meet up with his friends a bit south to surf. That's all good, but it's also Mothers Day, so that cuts into the timeframe a bit as well. As much as I want to surf, I need to get a decent workout in too. Looking at the swell models and the fact that the tide was a whopping -1.3 low at daybreak, I pretty much convinced myself that the stretch of beach they had planned to meet at was going to be completely closed out. Pretty much anywhere that doesn't have a reef of structure should be. So, I got up before daybreak, walked the dog along the stretch of coast out front at first light, and confirmed my theory. Not a shoulder to be had. Went home and picked up the kid and headed south, leaving my board behind. When we got to our destination, there was mystery foam lingering on the outside, usually a sure sign that it's a bit bigger than it actually looks. We parked well away from the beach and hiked in. Met up with his friends and a few Dad's out in the water. And sure enough, it was mostly closed out. It was overhead, and luckily, this area had a few shoulders that were staying open. It was actually one of the funnest session I had in the water in a long time. I was swimming constantly, probably got a good ten waves, and got a great workout. Now I remember that feeling I had the first time I used a handboard, and became so deeply involved. No expectations, good workout, no hassling for waves, just good clean fun. Surfing will always be my first passion, but I gotta keep reminding myself there are more ways to ride a wave than on a surfboard!

Reactions: jkb

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Thought of you when I glassed a crude handplane I made for my son as a project during this quarantine. I think we get caught up in our normal routine of what fun in the water should be. We should just focus instead on just getting in the water.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I have one of your handplanes that I got as a gift probably 10 years ago and I have a great time every time I use it (not enough).

Thanks for giving me some great times in the ocean. Such a perfect ocean toy.

Good luck getting in shape and hope you get some waves on your trip and have safe travels.