I want a longboard

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
All these boards do this + rip

Your limiting your experience
Sorry prefer doing my rippin' on a short board and glide, carve, and nose ride on mid or log. Huge difference for me because always/almost go heavy glass but one mans rippin is anothers flailing :drowning: This is why I am currently in love with twins and freedom, speed, and out of control and also why I do not want my twin to ride anything like a thruster:cheers:
Santacruzin get in touch with Allan Gibbons he can shape you a glider:shaka:

Reactions: Titicaca

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
oh man its not that complicated.
Yes I still ride HPSB.
No dont plan on stopping
However there are some points that I love to surf, they have become a complete shitshow when a certain size.
Surfing HH-OH point waves with a longboard is fun as sh!t!

Its simple. I still wont SUP ever though!!! haha
In the event you do NOT want to rip, tear, schralp and do floaters on a 9-footer…
Glider would be a blast at a point. Swoop, glide, trim, carve. Different than a nose-rider or log, but IMO better for how I want to surf a big boar. I know Mitsven down here makes them 8-11’+. I’m sure one of those local shapers can dial you in

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I just acquired a lightly used CJ Nelson 7' Outlier in time to ride it at my local point during Cyclone Cody swell and I rode it amongst the longboarders. That kind of board is worth thinking about if you don't mind not having another 2' of length to add to swing weight and nose to catch on steeper takeoffs but have excellent glide and a loose feel and speed....oh yes the speed. Just throwing it in there. Pics next to a 6'2" Burrito kind of hull for comparison.IMG_20220121_182848.jpg
IMG_20220121_182805.jpgIMG_20220121_182648.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I need to get a longboard too.

Whether I buy a big motor boat of a gun from an erbbers garage or a longboard, my next board is gonna have some girth. It'll just get utilized at different ends of the spectrum.

FWIW, I rode longboards a lot when I was a younger man. I was never a Super loggy guy, but I was never a chippy HP guy either. I liked to noseride, I liked to turn, and I wasn't super small, so I always ended up with something in the middle. I didn't have sidebites very often, but I rode plenty of 2+1's that went unreal.

I put em to bed and told myself I had too many good years in me to NOT ride a shortboard. I also kept finding myself wanting to hit sections that presented themselves. I ordered a shortboard for a trip and haven't really longboarded for any period of time after that. Now I'm a weekend warrior approaching 40 with some nagging post injury limitations and sometimes I want to be able to ride small waves, easily.

All the shapers I mentioned will make you great longboard or point you in the direction of one. Some will charge more, some less. Some you'll be able to sell for slightly less than what you paid if it doesn't work out. Some you won't.

Personally, I'm still prowling CL.

Reactions: santacruzin

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Bought my first longboard this year myself. A beat down 9'6 Harbour. A little more hplb than I really wanted but the price was right. Its gotten me in the water on a lot of days when Id normally just gone home. That glide is addictive. Still havent put a leash on it, but I only take it out when its waist high or smaller. Fun as hell though! If I was you Id look for a decent used full log. Im talkin 9'6+ heavy glassed single fin. If your gonna ride a log get a real log. Something people will be diving for their lives if it happens to get loose!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
9'0 single fin with gentle even rocker and good rails, whatever shaper does it for you. 9'0s always feel perfect to me, no more no less, I think it has to do with the blanks but when I ride a 9'1,9'2,9'6, they feel weird and wrong. Don't even get me started on 10 footers you roy Stewarts. 9'0 single fin, no side biters, thin tail. Side biters are against the rules of not making boards suck.

Reactions: santacruzin