I think Mayor Pete deserves a lil respect

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Trains derailing, airplanes falling apart mid flight and a fairly notable cargo ship destroying bridge incident.

But on the other hand we now get airline ticket refunds?!

Yeah, give this guy a freaking medal.
Not sure it’s fair to blame him for decades of deregulation and infrastructure neglect. Yes the burden is on him and his dept to address these things but it’s kinda hard to put Boeings prioritizing profits over safety and quality control on him isn’t it?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Not sure it’s fair to blame him for decades of deregulation and infrastructure neglect. Yes the burden is on him and his dept to address these things but it’s kinda hard to put Boeings prioritizing profits over safety and quality control on him isn’t it?
I know it's not fair to blame him for everything.

There sure has been a lot of chaos on his watch though and the way he responds is almost always in a way that downplays the amount of power he has. It seems like he is very averse to anything that would upset the giant corporations that control so much of our transportation infrastructure even though his mandate is to ensure, "the safe, efficient, sustainable, and equitable movement of people and goods" which are often at odds with maximal corporate profits.

He's no Lina Kahn, is all I'm saying.

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This only seems to be a problem for you Duffy.

don’t deliver a product, you don’t get to keep the money. It’s that simple.
Correct. That is what already happens. Now with this new reg airlines have to come up with a mechanisms for instant, automatic refunds regardless of how the tickets were purchased (through the airline, ticket broker, travel agent, package deals, etc.). And delays can have all kinds causes out of the control of airlines. Will some delays be exempt? Which ones? Who decides?

All of these things cost money and that extra cost will be passed on to travelers either through higher fares or cuts in service, or both.

All to “fix” a problem that didn’t exist.

This isn’t to help travelers. This is for votes.

And you all will pay more for flights.

Yay!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i mean - its a pain in the fkn ass. calling the bank, airlines, pretty much anythingthese days gets my blood going but so would not getting a refund for a service that wasnt provided.

im also amazed how many people dont know about charge backs.. could be easier than dealing with the airline directly.
So the cost of flying going up for everyone is worth it to you because at some point in the future there’s a tiny tiny chance that your flight gets canceled and you don’t want to have to make a phone call to get your refund?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
So the cost of flying going up for everyone is worth it to you because at some point in the future there’s a tiny tiny chance that your flight gets canceled and you don’t want to have to make a phone call to get your refund?
Your assumption of flights going up is only a guess. Maybe they will be efficient or eat the costs like a good capitalist. Wasting time jumping through corporate hoops to get your money back might be ok for you. But it is a problem for most other people.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
All to “fix” a problem that didn’t exist.
I haven't read the article posted but IIRC this is a holdover from the pandemic when the airlines cancelled flights and didn't issue refunds and used the pandemic as the excuse. I heard about this on an NPR segment a few years ago where they specifically called out The Booty Judge.

This isn’t to help travelers. This is for votes.
Timing is sus that's for sure :unsure:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Trains derailing, airplanes falling apart mid flight and a fairly notable cargo ship destroying bridge incident.

But on the other hand we now get airline ticket refunds?!

Yeah, give this guy a freaking medal.
whoa....what's Pete got to do with that?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
whoa....what's Pete got to do with that?
Uhhh. Rail, Aviation and Maritime are all under his purview.

It took him ten days to even comment on the East Palestine train derailment. Three weeks to actually visit the site. When reporters asked why it took him so long he refused to answer and walked off.

I know it's not fair to blame Pete for the current state of our infrastructure and the financialization of our economy (stock buybacks over re-investment at Boeing, Norfolk Southern, etc.) but I do think overall he has been pretty underwhelming.