I need a side hustle

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I know a woman who makes $100K/yr and had an Audi SUV given to her for doing make-up/beauty tips on tik tok. Crazy.

Oh and The Wiltern is hiring.

Seriously though, this strike is gonna fuck up the service economy in LA. Wine and spirit sales are already way down from last year. Bunch of sales reps and I were talking. I'm happy it's not just me, but this is gonna suck.
The slowdown has been going on since long before wga’s May strike deadline. I know so many people who’ve been out of work since the fall. It’s obvious that the yhe AMPTP made a play to squeeze us below the line workers so we were already broke and angry by the time the strike happened all while showing the writers and actors that the shutdown means dick to them. My spending at Helen’s and HP Wine has plummeted in the last year. There was a time when opening a $25-35 bottle of wine wasn’t unusual. Now we’re on $4 bottles of espiral from Trader Joe’s.

Reactions: Boneroni

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Dabbled a bit in the acting/hollyweird world in my younger days. The creepiness level vibe was through the roof, and I'm a guy. Creep level probably 10x worse for women. Possibly the biggest mind-fuck industry out there on so many levels.

And the amount of layers to make a movie from SAG, AFTRA, WGA, DGA, PGA, etc. is fucking ridiculous. Everyone getting a cut of the profits.

Took me about a year to figure out it was something I didn't want to be involved with long term.

Still wouldn't mind having a talking line in a major movie though. Bucket list sort of thing. :computer:

Reactions: Boneroni

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There is a bar not far from my home where a long time bartender is a N.P. There is a small sign about this right by the OPEN/CLOSED sign.

$25 per stamp.

I don't hang out enough there to know if there is volume enough for good money.

PS
About the original question about needing a job, and a work from home job at that, maybe now is the time to spend some money to make some money and learn yourself a trade, like electrician. The coursework would be all online, and in what, 4-6 months, you hire yourself out or partner with construction firm to do installs and inspections. Pay is good. Sometimes I think of going to the local YMCA after work and taking their electrician certification class as a way of making some $ if I get lucky enough to retire.
Diesel mechanic/motorcycle mechanic could be hella useful for a surfer. Motorcycle mechanic can fix sh!t that goes wrong on the 250 Honda dual sport in Mainland Mexico.

Diesel could be next level. Every scrub with a sailboat and a constantly dying diesel generator will want you on board. SoPac, Bahamas, DIY Ments people....

You could get yourself on maybe a bit nicer boat too, like a luxury yacht the GoPro dude or Zuckerspiel or similar might own. Sportfishes hitting the seasonal spots for 35+ sailfish days in Guate, all kindsa sh!t in Chiriqui, etc.

Maybe work in a port near to good surf. There's probably a good supply of Gringo sportfishes in Guanacaste and Golfo Dulce.

so help me Cthulu deleting this and/or moving this to the politics forum would be AMAZEballs for my mental health

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
On the diesel mechanic job.....

Friend #1 did construction when younger and garage (vehicle) work that specialized in diesel repair.

On Fridays, at closing, tradition was to have beers and rag on the goofs who never did preventative maintenance and the diesel guys would break out the gin.

First he thought this was some elite thing they did, or some sort of odd tribute to a long gone diesel genius.

After a while he asked why they drank gin based drinks.

"Because when diesel soaks in, everything tastes like diesel and we hate drinking beer that tastes like diesel. Gin cuts through the diesel taste better than anything else."

Border Patrol is hiring
They could probably use someone with Excel and SQL skills.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Skully if you were decent at math/problem solving in high school there are a ton of resources out there for sharpening up on Excel and SQL

SQL is an excellent starting point in terms of languages. You can see your output from each query so it's more of a tangible, look-and-see thing vs doing theorem proofs in your head conceptually.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The slowdown has been going on since long before wga’s May strike deadline. I know so many people who’ve been out of work since the fall. It’s obvious that the yhe AMPTP made a play to squeeze us below the line workers so we were already broke and angry by the time the strike happened all while showing the writers and actors that the shutdown means dick to them. My spending at Helen’s and HP Wine has plummeted in the last year. There was a time when opening a $25-35 bottle of wine wasn’t unusual. Now we’re on $4 bottles of espiral from Trader Joe’s.
If natural wine is you thing, go to Vendome in Toluca Lake/North Hollywood. Way better prices on that and better selection (and prices) of normal wine too.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
If natural wine is you thing, go to Vendome in Toluca Lake/North Hollywood. Way better prices on that and better selection (and prices) of normal wine too.
I’ve shopped there for years while working in the area. Mostly think of them for Whiskeys and craft beer. But we drink a lot of natural wines. Gf dragged me down that rabbit hole.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Hit up Thrift stores and garage sales and become ebay king. I know of guys who just advertise a bunch of sh!t from Walmart on ebay ( they dont say its from Walmart) for a nice profit and wait for the sale and then do a drop ship or buy it and ship it. Some folks are so lazy or they are hooked on internet shopping that they buy it. Close 20 items a day at $10 profit is $200

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
There is a bar not far from my home where a long time bartender is a N.P. There is a small sign about this right by the OPEN/CLOSED sign.

$25 per stamp.

I don't hang out enough there to know if there is volume enough for good money.

PS
About the original question about needing a job, and a work from home job at that, maybe now is the time to spend some money to make some money and learn yourself a trade, like electrician. The coursework would be all online, and in what, 4-6 months, you hire yourself out or partner with construction firm to do installs and inspections. Pay is good. Sometimes I think of going to the local YMCA after work and taking their electrician certification class as a way of making some $ if I get lucky enough to retire.
He's looking for a job he can do sitting down and baked in an area where a bunch of other people are looking for the same thing.

The little guy (no pun intended) is getting shafted by the union, The Nanny doesn't have bills she won't be able to pay.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
He's looking for a job he can do sitting down and baked in an area where a bunch of other people are looking for the same thing.

The little guy (no pun intended) is getting shafted by the union, The Nanny doesn't have bills she won't be able to pay.
Since we're all members of the precariat now, I've been learning auto repair. I don't want to end up like Putin driving a cab when the USSR collapsed. Taking trannies next semester :monkey:

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
glory hole in your front door.
can make better money at starbucks for waaaay less the hassle unfortunately.

in a similiar boat - this is already our slow season - slower than usual cuz the writers, and now the rest of the year is up in the air with the actors. however Im a staff editor, i hav e an emergency fund + would get EDD if i was let go or furloughed so no income for 6 months is sorta doable although id hate that.

@$kully - did you look into sports stuff? with the SAG strike - thats all thats gonna be on TV for a while andd they pay normal rates.
One of my editor friends got a job at a gaming company recently.

Reactions: CutnSnip

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Recently I was curious to read about staff on superyachts. It's quite interesting job. Although, I was more wondering what you'd have to pay them to fully staff a big boat.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Recently I was curious to read about staff on superyachts. It's quite interesting job. Although, I was more wondering what you'd have to pay them to fully staff a big boat.

Friend of mine has been doing that for years. All through south Pacific, Caribbean, etc. - think he's been around Tortola area lately. Not the worst gig in the world.