I need a side hustle

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
yah everyone always to undercut.

nobody undercuts this place though: https://shein.com/

Largest fashion retailer in the world. Started by some Chinese guy out of college. Within 10 years he was a billionaire. Their prices are not even believable. I asked my gf she heard of it. She said yah, a lot of her friends order from there and said the quality is very decent. On par with Target type clothes.
Has she purchased these for you yet?

Hoping I didn't spoil your Christmas present.

1689443763223.png

• Haha
Reactions: r32

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
yah everyone always to undercut.

nobody undercuts this place though: https://shein.com/

Largest fashion retailer in the world. Started by some Chinese guy out of college. Within 10 years he was a billionaire. Their prices are not even believable. I asked my gf she heard of it. She said yah, a lot of her friends order from there and said the quality is very decent. On par with Target type clothes.
Ruh-roh

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
That would certainly some of their incredible revenue numbers. And it's Chinese, so it's to be expected they would steal and copy designs.

• Shein generated $30 billion in 2022, a 91% increase on the $15.7 billion it made in 2021

• 74.7 million active shoppers
  • 13.7 million based in the US

• Downloaded 200 million times in 2022, making it the the most downloaded shopping app of that year

• Recently valued at $68 billion ahead of a potential late 2023 IPO.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Apparently they are still filming in London?

Production set from Disney's Snow White remake. Those are the (non) dwarves.

1689450702361.png

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Here’s a real badass calling out Bob Iger…

View attachment 158440

he’s referring to this…

If that's who I think it is, he only thing he ever did that was remotely entertaining was play a stupid cave man.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think there’s a market for a stop motion Lego influencer type account
That’s what my side gig might be if I need one. @skully As a editor, you might be a natural
I’d follow

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I thought that was all cheap shitt already made in China?

How do you find margin on that?
i don’t buy non name brand stuff and no cheap sh!t from China.

buy known brands that are on sale or clearance and then flip those. you are hunting online retail that is heavily discounted.

For example, I just bought 30 sets of some Star Wars legos for $4.50 each from an online retailer that was on clearance. Sold them for $15 each on EBay. made $300 and it took me maybe 2-3 Hours combined to list them and ship them (I have a shipping setup for a couple online shirt brands I run, so shipping is fast). That was a small flip cause that’s all the retailer had, with just 3x markup. ideally looking for 4x markup on 100+ items.

I’m currently negotiating with an online camping retailer to buy 100-300 small Mag Lite flashlights (Mini Maglite pros) for $6-7 each. Will flip for probably $18-25 each on EBay. It’s just a side hustle I find very entertaining.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Apparently they are still filming in London?

Production set from Disney's Snow White remake. Those are the (non) dwarves.

View attachment 158469
Different contracts and unions over seas. A lot of American actors will drop out of these projects in solidarity, others won’t. Technically they don’t have to but it’s not a good look. It can get dicey politically. Especially for some of the folks that carry multiple cards as writers, directors and producers. A few showrunners have already come under fire for trying to continue working while the writers were on strike.

Technically if the script is already written that’s allowed and some will make the argument that they’re doing it to keep below the line workers like myself working. However most showrunners are also writers which gets dicey for them to keep showing up. And also in 20yrs of editing I’ve never worked on a show that was shot and cut as scripted without revisions made along the way whether they’re made during production, on set on the day, or in the cutting room. It’s presumptuous to claim that your scripts are word for word perfect and won’t need to change in the process. So anyone who’s claiming that the scripts are already written and they can go on with production sans writers is lying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni and r32

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i don’t buy non name brand stuff and no cheap sh!t from China.

buy known brands that are on sale or clearance and then flip those. you are hunting online retail that is heavily discounted.

For example, I just bought 30 sets of some Star Wars legos for $4.50 each from an online retailer that was on clearance. Sold them for $15 each on EBay. made $300 and it took me maybe 2-3 Hours combined to list them and ship them (I have a shipping setup for a couple online shirt brands I run, so shipping is fast). That was a small flip cause that’s all the retailer had, with just 3x markup. ideally looking for 4x markup on 100+ items.

I’m currently negotiating with an online camping retailer to buy 100-300 small Mag Lite flashlights (Mini Maglite pros) for $6-7 each. Will flip for probably $18-25 each on EBay. It’s just a side hustle I find very entertaining.
My daughter does this
She asked me to order a popular brand insulated water bottle. Not yeti. Another brand
I got the wrong color
That was the end of my involvement

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My daughter does this
She asked me to order a popular brand insulated water bottle. Not yeti. Another brand
I got the wrong color
That was the end of my involvement
All joking aside, buying the wrong thing can leave you with a color or style that doesn’t sell well and you have to either sit on it and wait or sell a only a small margin or no margin.

Reactions: Random Guy

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
All joking aside, buying the wrong thing can leave you with a color or style that doesn’t sell well and you have to either sit on it and wait or sell a only a small margin or no margin.
I get it. I don’t think I knew that it was being flipped. I didn’t even know she was doing that.

I returned the Stanley

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It can be very lucrative and scalable. I'm having fun messing around with it as it's a creative way to make money.

If I lived on the continental US and had more time, I'd try to scale it harder. Fun side hustle though.

I've seen people flip Stanleys for big payoffs when they first were getting popular and not easy to get certain colors/styles.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You're not gonna like my advice. Everyone in Hollywood is going to be looking for side hustles right now, good luck. Forget Uber, food delivery and that stuff - the expenses on your end are going to eat into what youre making. Find soemthing else. If you've got a degree you might want to hide that from potential employers. Now - are you a homeowner with a mortgage? Time to get a roommate! Passive income, tax free. The dog - here's the truth. It's only as of the past decades everyone was treating cancer ridden housepets, putting cats on dialysis, and ferrets on breathing machines. Your dog has cancer. The Human Society will take it in - there is someone out there that has the money for that kind of stuff. Putting the pup to sleep is always an option, it what people used to do, it will cost you though. Bring it up to your vet and he just might know some charity options or someone who would take the pup in. You're living paycheck to paycheck so you have to think like someone who is living paycheck to paycheck.
Kill yourself

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I wouldn't have the mind-set to understand popular trends.

I thought the I-phone would flop.
I thought windows would never become popular
i laughed at the iPad, including the name.
I walked out of the original Star Wars movie when it first came out because I was like, “this sucks, let’s see something else”
and now I’ve bought a Stanley in an unpopular color
so, yeah, I’ve got a pretty bad track record on predicting what’s the general public loves

• Haha
Reactions: bruhdakine