I don't believe in grovelers COME AT ME

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I like the compliments you get when running the lineup on a groveler among long boards and adult learner crutches.

id way rather pump down the line for no end section than set up a longbor line and hunch over like Quasimodo for duration of the wave.
hunchback has its moments and can be fun once in a while on gutless knee-high days. closer to waist-high, and I'll pick from the gravel quiver: gremlin, gmm2, Akila con fish, eltomoquad. Those boars get way more use than I'd prefer

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
More to the point - I actually agree that grovelers don't catch waves or paddle better and I am skeptical that adding ~2L to your normal volume "for paddling" or "for wave catching" is helping. I have found I can catch hilariously small waves on my normal boards, but actually riding them is another story! Similarly a longer, narrower board is going to go from point A to point B in a lineup better than a short, wide one. I think that is what PRCD is trying to say.

And that's totally fine! Once you're up and riding, the extra foam in the tail block and lower overall rocker is going to keep you planing over small sections, and the short length will help you get in the lip and do more "normal" shortboard-style turns. But no, it isn't going to help you paddle battle the old salty dude on the log. He's going to win every single time. It WILL help you against the hipster on a mid-length, because he has no idea what he's doing.

There is a time and a place for both approaches.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
hunchback has its moments and can be fun once in a while on gutless knee-high days. closer to waist-high, and I'll pick from the gravel quiver: gremlin, gmm2, Akila con fish, eltomoquad. Those boars get way more use than I'd prefer
Always amazed at guys that can log and shortboard equally well. Always felt weird when i'd switch between them. I will log occasionally if its tiny and I just need to paddle but honestly would rather find something else to do.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Always amazed at guys that can log and shortboard equally well. Always felt weird when i'd switch between them. I will log occasionally if its tiny and I just need to paddle but honestly would rather find something else to do.
I feel this. I've never owned a log, but whenever I've borrowed one I can barely even figure out how to sit on it LOL.

I've enjoyed riding the Album Townsend I got from Steve on the smaller days out here. It's longer so more glide, but you still basically have to pump and turn it like a shortboard. It's also a good board for the handful of winter days when it's too cold to bother trying to surf a hp board. For the waves I ride it in I'd probably order the wide-tail file if I was going custom but the stock asym works better than you might think.

However, sometimes it's just too steep. One day in particular I had the Townsend and Shadow at the beach with me, it was ~waist high with a few plus sets but PUNCHY, and I just could not figure out how to take a tiny but steep drop on such a long board. I kept nose diving and I'm sure I looked like a kook. Swapped it for the Shadow and it wasn't perfect but I got a lot of good turns off, kind of funny. There can be a lot of variety to waist high waves that can call for different approaches!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I use keels in the Bean Bags; I think this counteracts the short feeling. I tried a shaper personal 5'6". Went great in very bumpy small trade swell, but felt kind of short with the fins I had (no keels/no big twin).

For people who either ride their shortboard or don't surf, and refuse to surf any wave without a pocket, I'd ask the local shaper to take said shortboard, shorten it an inch or two, bump the width, and relax the rocker. Don't go straight to a mini-sim, then say it sucks in shorebreak wedges.

The 'I paddle in fine, pop up, and I pump but nothing happens' I would blame rocker, especially tail rocker.

Waist with plus sets but PUNCHY, and basically anyone who wants their shortboard to be a little easier to ride, I would suggest the OG Lost Rocket. Redux or 2/3 might be good too; haven't ridden them. But the OG Rocket, it gets in that little bit earlier, little bit faster, but all that flip in the tail makes it feel great in steep stuff where drivier boards don't fit and start to feel like a handful.

Reactions: j_mac and ehiunno

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I feel this. I've never owned a log, but whenever I've borrowed one I can barely even figure out how to sit on it LOL.

I've enjoyed riding the Album Townsend I got from Steve on the smaller days out here. It's longer so more glide, but you still basically have to pump and turn it like a shortboard. It's also a good board for the handful of winter days when it's too cold to bother trying to surf a hp board. For the waves I ride it in I'd probably order the wide-tail file if I was going custom but the stock asym works better than you might think.

However, sometimes it's just too steep. One day in particular I had the Townsend and Shadow at the beach with me, it was ~waist high with a few plus sets but PUNCHY, and I just could not figure out how to take a tiny but steep drop on such a long board. I kept nose diving and I'm sure I looked like a kook. Swapped it for the Shadow and it wasn't perfect but I got a lot of good turns off, kind of funny. There can be a lot of variety to waist high waves that can call for different approaches!
if you don't "get in early" on longer flat-rockered boars, you're kinda screwed on a steep drop. The spots I surf often have fairly steep drops, then some softer, slopier sections down the line which wide-point-forward, flatter rocker boars help carry speed through to the next steeper section. It's a balancing act. On 6'7 townsend or 6'4 plasmid, they want to be paddled close to the nose, so I really have to adjust my feet to shift back to tail during the pop-up. Gives me a better chance on any late steep drop.

On the flip side, I've found the shorter wider gravelers can work for me up to HH at these spots, provided it's slope-y or chunky or onshore.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010

I got a 6'6 twin pin from a local shaper over the winter for that exact reason. Haven't fully connected with it but honestly haven't given it a fair shake as I always end up on something else. Need to dial in the fins. Prob shoulda grabbed a Townsend when I had the chance.
If its punchy at all I'm on my "shortboards"

Reactions: j_mac and ehiunno

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
some fat days at waist high a mid length or log is going to be better suited.

other days at punchy knee high it can be more fun chasing and hitting sucky sections on a very short over volumed board.

The extra volume in grovellers might not technically help "plane" but it certainly helps get in earlier and get the first pump in.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Just to throw a wrench in all this tall guy shouldn't ride a short, fat groveler talk: I'm 6'3 195 and ride a 5'7 Plasmic. It's super chunky, wide and short and my most HP board. I can get it more vert than any board and snap the living bejesus out of it. Despite the fat rail, it carves fine for me too. YMMV.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
I use keels in the Bean Bags; I think this counteracts the short feeling. I tried a shaper personal 5'6". Went great in very bumpy small trade swell, but felt kind of short with the fins I had (no keels/no big twin).

For people who either ride their shortboard or don't surf, and refuse to surf any wave without a pocket, I'd ask the local shaper to take said shortboard, shorten it an inch or two, bump the width, and relax the rocker. Don't go straight to a mini-sim, then say it sucks in shorebreak wedges.

The 'I paddle in fine, pop up, and I pump but nothing happens' I would blame rocker, especially tail rocker.

Waist with plus sets but PUNCHY, and basically anyone who wants their shortboard to be a little easier to ride, I would suggest the OG Lost Rocket. Redux or 2/3 might be good too; haven't ridden them. But the OG Rocket, it gets in that little bit earlier, little bit faster, but all that flip in the tail makes it feel great in steep stuff where drivier boards don't fit and start to feel like a handful.
What keels are you running in your beanbag? I got one coming in very soon

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What keels are you running in your beanbag? I got one coming in very soon
I have a 5'8" FCS and I used the FCS2 Modern Keel with GX or GL rears, then swooped some Griffin Keels off erBB classified and those are better. First I used the Harley Ingleby quad set. It was pretty good and if you want it to feel more thrustery/pivoty definitely an option, but I like the way the keels feel on rail and getting around sections, especially just kind of trim-blasting through foamy bits. The Bean Bag is good in surf that's so flat faced it can't even muster up the energy to crumble all the way through to the flat. Mostly use the GL rears.

I also have a 5'10" for micro dogshit medieval serf dying of bubonic plague Florida summers grovel. It has Futures. I tried the Rasta Keels and that washed out some, so I got the NVS Stamps. I use the upright wooden-looking rears from some controller set and that seems fine.

Our dribble often still seems to be fairly walled or fairly racy. We don't normally have insanely flat faced surf but with a uniform curl section where you can surf top to bottom the whole way given a flat enough board. There's generally a fair bit of going laterally and doing roundhouses, so the keels make holding board speed easy - push hard; they'll do the rest. If you will be surfing a wave with a bit slower, more uniform peel speed with a mini pocket the whole way, the keels might be a mistake.

I ride the DD HPSB stuff like Baby Buggy, Sub Driver in the fatty dims at 6'4" so if your normal thrusters are 5'8" or 5'10", a twin set or large thruster sides might be gold and all this talk of salvaging abandoned sailboats and sawing half the hull off to wobble about in knee high dogshit might be a bit much. I'm just saying don't try the Felipe grom thruster set and then set the board on fire as an offering for more swell. Unless you live in North Florida; then torch the fucking thing straightaway.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
sounds fun!

:toilet:
It's legit grovel I'll say that much. :cursing:

Rest of you clowns out here, living in a castle, wearing a crown, sporting purple cape lined with snow leopard fur and gesturing with your jeweled sceptre at every duck-tending peasant girl whose teats aren't dangling like an old cow's udders to be seized and carried off to your chamber for a thorough plowing that evening, fggn have your slave-borne litter brought to the erBB to try to tell me how bad tending the fields is.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
The guy on the midlength was in good shape. I'm over 200 and in good shape. He and I can make thrusters work in smaller waves.

They're definitely better than a thruster, the question is, "Are they better than a midlength or something longer?" Also, how narrow of a wave range will the groveler work? Seems like a midlength would work on a wider range of waves than a groveler. A thruster definitely will. You can only bring so many boards to the beach.

I definitely found this out the hard way.

Maybe it's a matter of finding the right groveler. I suppose if I could order from a shaper who dialed a groveler in 1 board, it would be worth it for me. I ordered one from a big name shaper and had to go through several layers of mgmt before I could get advice from their marketing guy on dims. The board didn't work. I ordered with too much volume, the rail was very corky, and it worked in a very narrow range of conditions. I'd rather get a longerboard like a Bonzer or midlength in the future.
sounds like u need a good gymnastic rings workout. hit up ur buddy chalki!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
It's legit grovel I'll say that much. :cursing:

Rest of you clowns out here, living in a castle, wearing a crown, sporting purple cape lined with snow leopard fur and gesturing with your jeweled sceptre at every duck-tending peasant girl whose teats aren't dangling like an old cow's udders to be seized and carried off to your chamber for a thorough plowing that evening, fggn have your slave-borne litter brought to the erBB to try to tell me how bad tending the fields is.
da fk???