Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Pump! Pump! Pump! Get it! Get it!:dancing:

Joe why don’t you power your house with clean beautiful coal? :monkey:

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I have one but only have one mid Atlantic winters of experience. So far so good. Electric bill is reasonable. Weird hearing the compressor running outside when it’s cold out. Haven’t lost electricity to find out how much propane use from backup generator.

I’d say go for it.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Yeah they are neat. A heat pump is just an air condtioner with a change valve. An AC captures the cold when the refrigerant drops from high pressure to low pressure. A heat pump just grabs the heat from the other side (high pressure side which is hot). They just finally figured out how to more efficiently capture the heat from them with these new refrigerants

Reactions: Aruka

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Yeah they are neat. A heat pump is just an air condtioner with a change valve. An AC captures the cold when the refrigerant drops from high pressure to low pressure. A heat pump just grabs the heat from the other side (high pressure side which is hot). They just finally figured out how to more efficiently capture the heat from them with these new refrigerants
I have a dual fuel pump. Works pretty well. My house has lots of leaks, the electric pump struggles to keep the house warm. I turned it back to gas this AM, we shall see how that works.

Super automated, programmed to 15 minutes intervals of when to turn on, operating hours etc. Even day specific runs.

SIgh, it was nice to have AC last summer (I live < mile to the beach).

Caveat, make sure you place the unit well. It makes cold air even colder. I have to run the gauntlet sometimes when taking out the trash.

Reactions: PRCD

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I wanna get one too. We have solar panels that keep even our $400+ Charleston Air conditioning bills at zero mid summer - then we have a nat gas heater - which is spendy even with our wood stove. I think there are some serious subsidies/tax credits for getting a heat pump.

Reactions: ElOgro

NorthOC75

OTF status
Feb 5, 2010
I have a five zone mini split system. It's great, very efficient and heats and cools the house just as well as central HVAC system. The advantage is that you don't have to have all 5 running at the same time.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I have a five zone mini split system. It's great, very efficient and heats and cools the house just as well as central HVAC system. The advantage is that you don't have to have all 5 running at the same time.
Problem with us for that is living on a southeastern humid/salty tidal creek, condenser coils tend to degrade after about 5 years. So that would be five new units instead of one.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have one. It's electric and uses 2.5kW when running.

They are more efficient than forced air systems but definitely slower to heat and cool.

Another disadvantage is that when it's cold outside (in the 30's) the thing has periods where it will stop the warm air coming into the house and focus that heat energy on de-icing the unit so it doesn't freeze over. The result is blowing cool air into the house for 5-10 minutes in the middle of trying to warm it up.

Positioning of the unit is critical because the longer runs we have on our house loose a ton of heat along the way. I'm sure this is true of any unit and it's possible ours is just too small for our house.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I seldom use the central heater or air conditioner, so it's never been an issue. However, living so close to the ocean has prematurely aged out the HVAC unit. The choice is what to replace it with.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
How many of you guys tried a radiant barrier in your attics, gable vents, etc?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Ok, trying to follow along here but I don't know what a heat pump is or where/how it is installed or how it works differently that my FAU?

I would love to hear what/how it works? Gracias!

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
How many of you guys tried a radiant barrier in your attics, gable vents, etc?
When we added a 2nd story to the house 2 years ago all of the roof boards they used (the big sheets of plywood they nail the shingles to) now have radiant barrier (aluminum reflective backing) on the inside. I’ve seen other houses in years past have the roof boards and then inside of those a separate radiant barrier board on the inside of the trusses. Not sure the reasons for doing one or the other, but you’d never have the roof boards I have and then install another board for radiant barrier, it’d be two reflective surfaces right next to each other..??..

We gutted 90% of the house in the process so we’re also able to go from absolutely no wall insulation to 100% of the walls now insulated, including the roof / attic. Noticeable difference but that’s a lot of change at once. Now it just seems normal.

And just a new gas furnace / electric AC central unit… placed in the attic now that the house is two stories… it used to be in a closet downstairs.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Does anyone have one, and is it working out? I already have an excellent solar panel system that supplies all the free electrical power.
"free electrical power" ? how does that work? govt fully subsized? tax credited to $0? somebody gave you a bunch of panels and hardware, then did the install for free?

tell me more. i make replacement/upgrade decisions on my system based on cost amortized over the life of the component. sounds like im doing it wrong

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
"free electrical power" ? how does that work? govt fully subsized? tax credited to $0? somebody gave you a bunch of panels and hardware, then did the install for free?

tell me more. i make replacement/upgrade decisions on my system based on cost amortized over the life of the component. sounds like im doing it wrong
Amortization. Once you’ve recovered your original investment it’s free. You do your own work, most people don’t know from components in their system. They have a phone number.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

(somebody gave you a bunch of panels and hardware, then did the install for free?)

Well yes!

Full Disclosure: I lease my system from Tesla. I paid nothing for the panels or the installation; the small tax-deductible lease is $109 monthly. 5 refrigerators going 24/7, Kitchen, garage, chest freezer, wine cooler, and a cooler full of adult beverages by the pool.

My SDG&E monthly electric bill has been $0 for the last seven years, and I have banked a substantial credit with them.

I forgot to add that every year I have the panels pressure-washed. $200

Last edited:
Reactions: hammies