HS ATELIER PERFORMANCE CRUISER?

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Looking for a groveler for soft Ventura points. Mainly surfing backside. Wanted something other than my twins.
Figured maybe mess around with 3 fins again.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Interesting that on an oversized board that wide they went with a single concave through the whole board.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Looking for a groveler for soft Ventura points. Mainly surfing backside. Wanted something other than my twins.
Figured maybe mess around with 3 fins again.
"The Performance Cruiser is crafted for beginner to intermediate level surfers, but leans more toward the latter—or beginners that are leveling up and really starting to perform."
Honestly, I bet you would get frustrated/bored of its limitations. I think you could do better. Maybe consider a Pyzel Gremlin, Pyzalien2, or white tiger. I've really had fun on the 5'9 GremlinXL in conditions you describe. I've found Hawaiian "grovelers" do well in average /sloppy /onshore SoCal surf up to HH.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Pyzel Gremlin XL or Sharpeye Cheat Code...squash tail on both is pretty wide which can get you that lift. That HS outline looks weird/bloated

Also like Oeste said, White Tiger - apparently has tons of concave (same bottom contours as Red Tiger)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Im not a haydenshapes hater but I think there are better options. As sharky pointed out, single concave throughout seems like an odd choice for a wide, stubby board. The sharpeye cheatcode would top my list but a stamps flare or something from mayhem seem like safe bets as well.

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Im not a haydenshapes hater but I think there are better options. As sharky pointed out, single concave throughout seems like an odd choice for a wide, stubby board. The sharpeye cheatcode would top my list but a stamps flare or something from mayhem seem like safe bets as well.
Why do you hate Pyzel tho? Seems like a good dude.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
looks like an 80s board with a bit of concave
i'd call that an improvement.
i'd prefer it in a quad
looks worthy, but i reckon theres a ton of shapers with something similar

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I hadn't looked at Haydenshapes site in a while and through a quick and confusing look, didn't see this bort. Looks like the brand is trying to be too many things at once.

I've had a lot of HS' in the early days while getting a hookup when they were being done at Pureglass. My bro-deal was yanked when I was commenting to a friend that Hayden Cox didn't look like he sarfed well enough to be rocking a Vissla nose decal while surfing El Porto. He was way on the inside paddling back out during the comment, but an employee (or friend) must have heard me and told him.

I still have my custom 5'8 Psychedelic Germ in Future Flex. It's my second one, sold my original magic one in Nicaragua back in 2011 along with the other two borts I brought down there. The new one is fun, but I rarely grab it with my trio of Stumps in preferred rotation.

I also have a complex about the board being confused with a Hypto and being judged like I judge everyone with a Hypto before seeing them sarf.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I hadn't looked at Haydenshapes site in a while and through a quick and confusing look, didn't see this bort. Looks like the brand is trying to be too many things at once.

I've had a lot of HS' in the early days while getting a hookup when they were being done at Pureglass. My bro-deal was yanked when I was commenting to a friend that Hayden Cox didn't look like he sarfed well enough to be rocking a Vissla nose decal while surfing El Porto. He was way on the inside paddling back out during the comment, but an employee (or friend) must have heard me and told him.

I still have my custom 5'8 Psychedelic Germ in Future Flex. It's my second one, sold my original magic one in Nicaragua back in 2011 along with the other two borts I brought down there. The new one is fun, but I rarely grab it with my trio of Stumps in preferred rotation.

I also have a complex about the board being confused with a Hypto and being judged like I judge everyone with a Hypto before seeing them sarf.
I can't tell you how many times someone has asked if my Untitled is a Hypto.

.....and I get that same feeling of being judged.

But then I thought to myself, YOU'RE the fvcking kook if you think this looks like a Hypto.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc