How to get songs on spotify, iTunes, etc....

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
K, so I got this gig. It's a one time gig doing the music for a pretty popular podcast (to me, anyway).

I got the specs, composed and recorded all the segments, and feel really good about almost every piece.

Now, I'm realizing that after Tuesday, there could be thousands of people searching and I have no presence on either platform.

From what Ive found, I need to work with a distributor for spotify, but I don't know what to look for. I'm not someone trying to be a star, or even advance my musical "career", but I fell like I've got to get some songs up so if I get searched, there will be something there.
Does that mean I should go with a pay per song plan? Or Yearly?

Fck, I'm confused.

Here's a song that's not yet finished.....
https://soundcloud.com/user-327050693 https://soundcloud.com/user-327050693%2Fpaging-pele
For your troubles:
jchilds-large.jpg

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Def need a distributor to get up on those platforms. There are digital aggregators companies that do this - that specialize depending on the genre of music. I used to own and operate a record label in the late 90's and 2000's and I linked up with a distributor though my record distro to get our catalougue on Itunes, Beatport, etc digitally but this was within the electronic genre of music (house) so any connections I have would be specific to that genre. Spotify and podcasts wasnt a thing yet back then andTBH not sure how the podcast thing works - with so many out there on major platforms you'd have to think its relatively easy to get on them.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Yeah, there are like more podcasts than people, but I think most of them have set music with not a lot of new content.

This podcast is cool because they have a new "house band" every week.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I used CDbaby
Wow, CD baby is pretty user friendly. Thanks BR!

I think I'm going to use CD baby for a few songs, but might try to ask our old label guy (punk, early 2000's) if he can help me out. I'd like to be able to release stuff as I finish it, but that would end up costing a fortune paying one by one.

Here's another...
https://soundcloud.com/user-327050693%2Fsummary

Reactions: afoaf

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
CDBaby will also eventually put your songs on youtube etc, and then the pennies start rolling in! My educational punk rock history album "Professor Presley History Rocks" actually was a financial success and this song is the top seller across all music services, big in Canada too, the canucks love to celebrate the War of 1812, they do reenactments of battles etc, burning the white house is a proud moment for them lol

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754