How Surfers Get Paid

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
What did Lauren Hill say?
Lauren with an "e" Hill is Dave Rastavich's new partner. She said how awful it is for women to sell themselves out and female empowerment is crucial. Then when faced with the fact that Anastasia Ashley is making more money than everyone else, she gave it the "good for her" and "she's a strong woman" bit. Two minutes later, she's saying how objectification is terrible and no women should do it.

She didn't want to bad mouth AA. I would have respected her more if she did. Sage Erikson, Rosie Hodge, Coco Ho, and others did, albeit subtly. I thought that was great.

Basically, they built this episode around Lauren as the strong voice of female surfers. Yet no one knows who she is.

Coco and Rosanne Hodge, on the other hand, were great voices in this episode. More of them, please, Stab.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
She didn't want to bad mouth AA. I would have respected her more if she did.
Why?

Sage Erikson, Rosie Hodge, Coco Ho, and others did, albeit subtly. I thought that was great.
What is so great about hypocrisy?

Sage and Rosie both sold ass for cash by doing steaming hot photo shoots, Rosie even showing off her nipples and spraying herself down with a bottle of bubbly.

Coco got naked for cash as well.

• Love
Reactions: Northern_Shores

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Had to google it to find out how to describe what immediately put me off about Lauren Hill. It's called "uptalking:
a manner of speaking in which declarative sentences are uttered with rising intonation at the end, as if they were questions" .

Lots of females that talk like this have a weird passive aggressive thing going on towards males. Feel empowerment through acting like a self rightous douche.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Had to google it to find out how to describe what immediately put me off about Lauren Hill. It's called "uptalking:
a manner of speaking in which declarative sentences are uttered with rising intonation at the end, as if they were questions" .

Lots of females that talk like this have a weird passive aggressive thing going on towards males. Feel empowerment through acting like a self rightous douche.
"ecofeminist"

I don't know what that is but could have something to do with it.

Screen Shot 2024-04-07 at 1.40.22 AM.png

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
how else do you make money surfing, isn't the whole thing about objectifying oneself ?

whether deciding to throw yourself over the ledge or wear a smaller bikini bottom - in many ways the two are the same thing
Agreed. Surfing, in most every regard, is no different than modeling. You’re giving people something to look at and enjoy. Some people like watching peolpe pull into barrels or do airs and other like seeing water droplets glistening off of Lauren Hill’s ecofemimistic jibblies while she does a forced soul arch on a 2’ dribbler at Lennox. It all leads to clicks and likes and whatever other bullshit the advert companies count and deem to be of value. Everyone is hawking their wares in some way, shape or form.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Agreed. Surfing, in most every regard, is no different than modeling. You’re giving people something to look at and enjoy. Some people like watching peolpe pull into barrels or do airs and other like seeing water droplets glistening off of Lauren Hill’s ecofemimistic jibblies while she does a forced soul arch on a 2’ dribbler at Lennox. It all leads to clicks and likes and whatever other bullshit the advert companies count and deem to be of value. Everyone is hawking their wares in some way, shape or form.
The other "equality" part that doesn't get mentioned is that a good looking surfer girl with mid level skill can get paid to live a surfer lifestyle as a "influencer". Whereas a male pro surfer needs to be a phenom talent wise to garner any attention.

Personally I don't get the "hot chick that does x activity well" so she gets a ton of followers and company endorsements, happens in a bunch of other sports and activities as well. Give me either a woman that rips and whose surfing is entertaining IE Caity, Carissa and Steph. Or a legitimate model who is 10x hotter than any current woman pro surfer. I don't need said ripping surfer to be good looking and I don't need eye candy on Instagram to rip at surfing. "Jill of all trades master of none"

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

1. The best countermeasure to this is to impregnate them or throw bread and cold cuts at them until their subservient female nature kicks-in.
The other "equality" part that doesn't get mentioned is that a good looking surfer girl with mid level skill can get paid to live a surfer lifestyle as a "influencer". Whereas a male pro surfer needs to be a phenom talent wise to garner any attention.

Personally I don't get the "hot chick that does x activity well" so she gets a ton of followers and company endorsements, happens in a bunch of other sports and activities as well. Give me either a woman that rips and whose surfing is entertaining IE Caity, Carissa and Steph. Or a legitimate model who is 10x hotter than any current woman pro surfer. I don't need said ripping surfer to be good looking and I don't need eye candy on Instagram to rip at surfing. "Jill of all trades master of none"
In the old days women like this simply found a rich man to marry, and no one objected.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
She didn't want to bad mouth AA.
She looked visibly uncomfortable when trying to claim she wasn't judgmental of AA.

I assume one reason she was so heavily featured is because Rasta is doing this year's EAST. She hasn't really been a public facing part of the surf world, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: sh3

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
The fact is - if you are an attractive young female surfer, you can ride two-foot waves on a longboard and one or more companies will pay you to make video clips highlighting your "grace and style" -

You cannot do that if you are a man - men actually need real surfing talent

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Lauren Hill made good money as a bikini model herself.
She had/has it and worked it.

Fine, but a bit rich to take a stand against objectification when you've profited it from it yourself.
i think the point isn‘t objectification itself, but having the choice to be objectified. There’s no hypocrisy in women who chose to do those shoots suggesting the industry should reward women more for their surfing and less for their looks.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

The best: