How should a shaper handle this?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Dont take this the wrong way as I love DA and my board. When I got my AO one of the FCS plugs had resin over the grub screw hole. I had to remove with an FCS key. Not a big deal BUT if I was a karen I could see getting upset about a $1400 board that required me to perform surgery on just to use my GG fins!!

I however recognize its my fault because FCS II are dogshit boxes!

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Dont take this the wrong way as I love DA and my board. When I got my AO one of the FCS plugs had resin over the grub screw hole. I had to remove with an FCS key. Not a big deal BUT if I was a karen I could see getting upset about a $1400 board that required me to perform surgery on just to use my GG fins!!

I'd also like to note that the one time I visited Stretch's factory, he was inspecting some of the finished boards, and pulled one of the glassers / sanders aside to point out some small quality issue like that to make sure they were keeping an eye on it. I love seeing shapers with an eye on quality like that.... so simple, but missing glass in a screw hole can send a certain message to your customer.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
If you can re-thread a stripped screw on an engine block... you can re-thread a stripped screw on a plastic FCS fin box. Either re-thread it with a bigger screw. Or fill the hole with resin or some other filler and re-drill the hole. It sounds like a simple fix.
It's shocking how many people can't do simple sh!t like this.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Imo, new shops spend years getting their qc/qa dialed in.

stuff like this is all too common with new staff, scaling up in volume, or adding new builds to the standard order sheet.

someone has to keep qc from slipping as overall quality drops due to uptick in production turnover, change in process or just morale/stressful deadlines.