How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Its relevant because most people have no idea what the actual cost burden on the employer really is for an employee's hourly wage. I'll add to this most employees never stop to look at the numbers on their pay stub to realize how much the government is taking from them every week.
And it has what to do with an adjustment to minimum wage?

are Big Macs cost-based priced?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
And it has what to do with an adjustment to minimum wage?

are Big Macs cost-based priced?
Dude just look at Washington/Seattle. $15/hr minimum wage exists and CHAZ existed for a few weeks.

It now no longer exists. From La Push out to Spokane, the entire state is nothing but flaming rubble and refugees.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
100% of the increases in the minimum wage and minimum-adjacent have gone straight into rents in this region. Enabling everyone to pay more for their housing has led to everyone paying more. The trend has been even more noticeable in the outlying areas. In California, anyway.

The only people who are actually coming out ahead are the landlords and the govt.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Training programs are fine and good, and we should have them, but they aren't going to rid the world of McDonalds and other businesses that don't pay employees enough to live.
It won't on it's own, but it will reduce the pool of unskilled laborers who are willing to work for those wages, thereby forcing the McDs of the world to raise their wages.

This has been true in agriculture for the last decade, where the starting wage has been at least a few dollars ahead of minimum wage. It's miserable work, so employers are forced to pay more- which is how it should be.

Why is this relevant?
It's relevant because the article states that the $22/hr includes the Danish equivalent of payroll taxes. So shouldn't the blended cost in the US also be stated so that we are comparing apples to apples?

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If minimum wage workers were so good at learning new skills they'd go learn them if they wanted to. I suggested subsidized training in my response to Hal, although I think that's going to get Hillary'd because nobody tells middle America to learn to code.
Again with the strawman. I never said #learntocode. There are dozens of trades and other semi-skilled labor jobs that are in high demand. If someone insists on never updating their skill set even if we have a system that presents them with that opportunity to do so at no cost to them, then I really have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

There are shitty nail salons, beauty salons, and food trucks all over the place already. What in the hell licensing and regulations do these people have to deal with? Not selling lobster that's been sitting by the side of a dumpster for a month???
If you want to start a food truck in California? You need to partner with a commercial kitchen, even if you do all of your prep and cooking within your truck. A truck that requires the same 3 basin ware wishing sink, food prep sink, and hand washing sink that a restaurant kitchen does, for a total of 4-5 sink basins. Even if you are making something basic like grilled cheese sandwiches on a griddle.

Even someone doing hairbraiding in their own home is required to have a similar setup with a bunch of equipment they don't need, even if they are not washing hair. You are also barred from being a barber in a lot of states if you are a felon. Now I don't want Timothy McVeigh or Charles Manson out on parole cutting my hair, but what about a 20 year who got popped for a few ounces of wacky tobacky?

These laws are written by businesses and legislatures with the intent of keeping competition out. Safety, while important, is just the excuse used to justify these regulations.

• Dislike

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Its relevant because most people have no idea what the actual cost burden on the employer really is for an employee's hourly wage. I'll add to this most employees never stop to look at the numbers on their pay stub to realize how much the government is taking from them every week.
Yes, the government is taking so much from McDonalds.

It could be that the government needs that money in order to give food stamps and health care to McDonalds employees because their employer is refusing to pay them a living wage.

If only there was a solution for that. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What a bullshit excuse not pay people a living wage.
I can tell you how this works on a micro level...

I’ve been wanting to hire someone for quite sometime but in my line of work people need to have multiple (over a dozen) certifications to able to work on their own. Everyone who’s certified sufficiently already have jobs so my only option is to hire and train someone with less/zero experience, train and get them certified. This would take about a year to accomplish and if I could pay this person $10 an hour during this time I would do it.

After they are trained and certified they can work on their own and I can pay $25-35 an hour, healthcare, retirement plan etc. because I can bill for their time.

Even at $10 an hour for someone I can’t bill for would be a stretch but worth the investment.

At $15 it simply prices any inexperienced worker out.

It’s not that complicated to figure out.

work for me @$10/hr for about a year which then can triple after that or no job at all.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Even at $10 an hour for someone I can’t bill for would be a stretch but worth the investment.

At $15 it simply prices any inexperienced worker out.

It’s not that complicated to figure out.

work for me @$10/hr for about a year which then can triple after that or no job at all.
If it's not that complicated, you should try living on $10/hr and see how it goes.

I don't know what kind of business you run but McDonalds and other mega corporations would never even notice if they paid their employees a living wage instead of relying on government to do it for them.

Except they are ruthless, greedy fucks who would do anything to maximise profit - unless there's a law that prevents them from doing that.

That's exactly what government's role is and that's exactly why minimum wage laws even exist.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Q: Why did higher minimum wage work in the 50's but it doesn't work today?

A: The corporations got greedier.

"Since being established at 25 cents in 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the federal minimum wage has been raised only 22 times. Though it was originally proposed to periodically raise wages along with the increased cost of living, the law that was passed left any increases to Congress and the president. “Congress decided to not tie the minimum to the rate of inflation because they wanted to get credit each year for raising the minimum,” says Stephen J. Rose, senior economist at the Center on Education and the Workforce at Georgetown University.

The result is an effective decrease in the minimum wage. According to the website EconProph, when inflation is factored in, the federal minimum wage is actually 25 percent lower today than it was in 1968. When it comes to housing costs, for example, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) suggests applying no more than 25 percent of your gross income towards rent. But almost no one earning minimum wage would be able to pay the national median rent using that formula. "

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't know what kind of business you run but McDonalds and other mega corporations would never even notice if they paid their employees a living wage instead of relying on government to do it for them.
Actually they would notice. The average franchise owner nets $150k/store/year on $2-3M in sales, not including the initial investment. Which puts their profit margin in the single digits. Ruthless!

To pay a living wage (which amounts to how much exactly?) would absolutely require raising wages, to the point where people will simply spend less money there because the price increases far exceeds the value of the food, and/or owners will cut hours and invest in labor saving machinery to compensate. Labor accounts for 25-30% of the overhead, therefore an hourly pay increase of $5-10/hr would absolutely have an effect.

Math is hard.

Except they are ruthless, greedy fucks who would do anything to maximise profit
Then given how low the profit margins are, they aren’t doing a very good job at it. The facts don’t match your feels.

• Dislike

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Actually they would notice. The average franchise owner nets $150k/store/year on $2-3M in sales, not including the initial investment. Which puts their profit margin in the single digits. Ruthless!
Why are franchise owners getting such a small cut from McDonalds?

We are talking about McDonalds, not franchise owners.
They are McDonalds employees also, dummy.

To pay a living wage (which amounts to how much exactly?) would absolutely require raising wages, to the point where people will simply spend less money there because the price increases far exceeds the value of the food, and/or owners will cut hours and invest in labor saving machinery to compensate. Labor accounts for 25-30% of the overhead, therefore an hourly pay increase of $5-10/hr would absolutely have an effect.

Math is hard.

Then given how low the profit margins are, they aren’t doing a very good job at it. The facts don’t match your feels.
Bullshit.

Why did you conveniently ignore the facts I posted?

Let's try this again:

"Since being established at 25 cents in 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the federal minimum wage has been raised only 22 times. Though it was originally proposed to periodically raise wages along with the increased cost of living, the law that was passed left any increases to Congress and the president. “Congress decided to not tie the minimum to the rate of inflation because they wanted to get credit each year for raising the minimum,” says Stephen J. Rose, senior economist at the Center on Education and the Workforce at Georgetown University.

The result is an effective decrease in the minimum wage. According to the website EconProph, when inflation is factored in, the federal minimum wage is actually 25 percent lower today than it was in 1968. When it comes to housing costs, for example, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) suggests applying no more than 25 percent of your gross income towards rent. But almost no one earning minimum wage would be able to pay the national median rent using that formula. "

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why are franchise owners getting such a small cut from McDonalds?
The franchise fee is around 4% of gross sales, which ain’t all that much either. Seems that the rent that McDonalds is charging is the bigger moneymaker. Either way, even if corporate is overcharging them, the difference between that and what would be considered fair is probably not enough to give everyone an extra $10/hr.

Actually, we can do some quick math right now. In 2018 the corporation netted $6B worldwide. When divided by 1.9M employees in the US alone (not including internatonal), that equals just under $3200/employee/year, which equals $1.57/hr if the employees were to take all of the profits.

Another way to look at it is that the corporation nets $1.57/hr off the back of each employee, and if you were to do this math with domestic profits only, even less.

Math is hard.

We are talking about McDonalds, not franchise owners.
They are McDonalds employees also, dummy.
Glad you are finally making that distinction.

Bullshit.

Why did you conveniently ignore the facts I posted?

Let's try this again:
After all the points I made in previous posts, you are going to call me out for not addressing this one? :roflmao: