How long can I expect a CI Ultra Light glassed board to last?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
By now, many of you know my most frequently surfed board is a CI Average Joe 5'11" 43.3L with a Rockstar Energy sticker. The problem is that it is glassed with two sheets of newspaper on top and one at the bottom. It is visibly deteriorating for every surf and I am debating getting a replacement Lib Tech Puddle Jumper in the same boaty dims for $650. Can I push this purchase out in time, say 2-3 seasons and there will still be life in the Joe, or is it gonna go to sh!t and pieces within the next year?

Reactions: SixtyGrit

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
I once got reprimanded on here for talking sh!t on C.I. Ultralight glass jobs. I dont like getting reprimanded, therefore I will go with old saying, If you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all.

• Wow
Reactions: Northern_Shores

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
By now, many of you know my most frequently surfed board is a CI Average Joe 5'11" 43.3L with a Rockstar Energy sticker. The problem is that it is glassed with two sheets of newspaper on top and one at the bottom. It is visibly deteriorating for every surf and I am debating getting a replacement Lib Tech Puddle Jumper in the same boaty dims for $650. Can I push this purchase out in time, say 2-3 seasons and there will still be life in the Joe, or is it gonna go to sh!t and pieces within the next year?
Who glassed it? How often do you surf? That’s a big board, are you obese?

Your answers will help with the assessment.

For me a UL glassed CI from either The Lab or in house glass would be dead after a full season if it were my primary, most surfed board. Deck would be full of dents after the first surf and then over the course of a fall/winter the blank would lose its spice.

I’m 195 pounds and heavy footed. I take care of my boards out of the water, but in the water I’m not kind to them.

Haven’t had a UL CI in a few years. I get them with “Standard” or “Gun” glass now.

BTW, every other HPSB I’ve bought OTR from numerous other shapers have all lasted the same as any CI I’ve bought OTR.

Nov 16, 2023
I had Lib tech puddle jumper was a sick board. Liked it better than epoxy and it really held up. My only experience with CI was the og neck beard was cooked after about 6 months

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i agree boats like that should have thicker glass