How Competitive Are You?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm noticing this a lot.

Also people dragging their just learning to stand up kid into the lineup and doing the same.

Is that happening on the East Coast too?

I've said this before and I'll say it again - Yadin Nicol is the WORST. Watched him paddle out on a softy the other day towing his little girl behind him, they immediately legit burned someone.
I don't really notice the parent-pushed-kid-as-wavehog that much because the main Poles peak and the Pier are complete and utter shitshows by the time it's kid lesson time. I don't think we're anywhere near Orange County levels of home schooling, or little league parents with the surf contest mentality.

The one exception is when it's a full on kid lesson takeover at the Poles, and they effectively prevent the SUP/Log from doing the outback volume hog thing. Those I do attend. Between hopping wipeouts and straightoffs, and just riding ones that come to you, I remember how much fun small glassy mornings could be before, say, 2009.

The parents with the presence of mind to have lessons down the beach, well I cut them some more slack because _drumroll_ they're not doing it at the main peak. They also basically always have this miraculous ability to realize there'll be a fair few waves in each set, only one of which has a large 40 year old on them, and so one of the other 11 will probably suffice for nervously sliding along.

I also nod at these people if I'm not going but they're in a decent spot, so they have maximum time to get their kid into one I don't want.

The ruining people at eminently workable Lowers for your elementary school kid's surf career sounds lame. Doesn't sound very West Oz to me either.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
High school, college sports, and certain days in the surf would bring out a more competitive nature for sure. Knowing who you had to beat out for a certain spot or wave. Now I mostly just battle myself, with wins and loses everyday.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
In the water it's not so much competition as unfair advantage (experience).

Competition is part of the culture where I work. They give you your ranking amongst your peers several times weekly, encourage one to forego work/life balance and win at any cost. Adversarial relationships are fostered to promote sales numbers. It's Glengarry as a mfer.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
My earlier years of riding waves I was pretty competitive. I used to do the whole ESA contest thing as well as any other regional contests I could attend. In free surf sessions I would always imagine myself in a heat. Not so much doing paddle paddles but more imagining I needed a certain score and see if I could ride a wave well enough to get the score. Looking back on it I feel I overachieved in results compared to where I think my talent stands. It took a bit of withdraws but I was able to stop doing contests after almost 2 decades and just look at sessions as riding waves for my own enjoyment.

I am still competitive when I try. I got into kayak fishing about 10 years ago and after a bit my ego was starting to come out and I started looking at kayak fishing tournaments. I entered one and found myself thinking about nothing other than my plan for that day, how I could beat other fisherman to my spot and basically obsessing about it for a couple weeks prior to the tournament. After the tournament was over (I won, woot-woot) I looked back on it and realized that was not how I wanted to approach fishing. I wanted to use it for relaxing and stress relief and the mind frame I got in leading to the tournament was exactly the opposite of that.

These days I enjoy riding waves and kayak fishing simply for what they are but my ego does still like to look back on my competition days and flex a little.
Sincerely,
2X ESA Easterns Bodyboard Champion
2003 United States Bodyboard Champion (of the world)

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
La competencia: Entre menos burros más elotes.

If you can push a kid on a foamie into the waves you may be surfing in the wrong place.

Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
In the water it's not so much competition as unfair advantage (experience).

Competition is part of the culture where I work. They give you your ranking amongst your peers several times weekly, encourage one to forego work/life balance and win at any cost. Adversarial relationships are fostered to promote sales numbers. It's Glengarry as a mfer.
We‘re in the same boat but our management at least tries to maintain an esprit de corps, while simultaneously posting up everyones performance every week, even call and email activity. It’s kind of pathetic. But, more often than not I’m in the hunt so I can pretty much do what I want, long as the contracts keep flowing

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I never said that I only ride Wavestorms - what a load of rubbish. :roflmao:

You probably surf further down south by walk-ups with all the other trannies yeah?

So what exactly do you enjoy about going straight?

I think you also mentioned previously you only ride Wavestorms too.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I never said that I only ride Wavestorms - what a load of rubbish. :roflmao:
Too bad the search feature here sucks, I'd pull up the post.

You probably surf further down south by walk-ups with all the other trannies yeah?
I'll surf wherever it's good. The walk ups all the way end of the line. I've had a few decent days north of there but nothing worth the drive from where I live.

I don't talk to anyone and they don't talk to me, don't care where they're from.

You still haven't told us why you enjoy going straight so much.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Not competitive.
But I'll use skill, patience and cunning to get my set waves when it's on.

Happy for low wave count surfs when it's on, if each individual wave is worth it, in which case I like to string sessions together, nickel and dime style to rack up a decent tally over a week/month/season.

fcuk surfing close-outs.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Listen up -

Based on your prolific post count, you clearly have more free time and take this place way more seriously than me. I refuse to get into a game of grab ass with you.

I haven't rode the Wavestorm since last summer. You're a mouthy fella - how about we arrange for you and a fellow erBB member to film us?

Too bad the search feature here sucks, I'd pull up the post.

I'll surf wherever it's good. The walk ups all the way end of the line. I've had a few decent days north of there but nothing worth the drive from where I live.

I don't talk to anyone and they don't talk to me, don't care where they're from.

You still haven't told us why you enjoy going straight so much.