How’s the stock market?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Sorry, I'm sort of late to the party and trying to figure out who is fucking whom in this orgy...

Is this essentially a bunch of people buying a stock in order to screw the big firms that are shorting it?

Or are they buying the stock to help the company who's shares are being shorted?

Or is it a good ol fashioned pump and dump?

Last edited:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Short positions don't expire. Options expire. Put option is equivalent to a short, but with expiration date. Check the options chain on GME for this friday. So many puts are set to expire out of the money. The wallstreetbetters will keep floating it until end of friday to ensure the puts expire red.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Let's get an ERBB stock manipulation going!!! anyone have a good cheap one in mind?
Uh no. There are 1000's of pump and dump groups you can join on Discord if this is your thing. Or just hang around WSB and buy whatever they are posting about.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Uh no. There are 1000's of pump and dump groups you can join on Discord if this is your thing. Or just hang around WSB and buy whatever they are posting about.
hahah I didn't think the erbb would have enough people interested, its not my thing but I see whats going on, I dont look at wsb. it was just a jab, but I see you are way to invested to joke about it....;)

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

This site shows that Dillards and Ligand are both floating over 100%. Not as lopsided as Gamestop, but still a good opportunity to put the squeeze, right?

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm still confused.

Caca, did you figure this out? :monkey:
A hedge fund made a massive bet against Game Stop. This bet is called a short sale, and involves selling a stock and then buying it later (covering it) after it has lost value. So you sell for $50 and then cover for $40.

WallStreetBets reddit checked fundamentals of how much Game Stop was sold short, how much was outstanding, etc. and basically reached a consensus to have a buying spree of Game Stop stock, betting against this hedge fund's bet.

This hedge fund, Mervin Capital, has needed $3B in infusions.

And so because everyone fucking hates hedge funds, and soooo much Game Stop was sold short, it has become a high profile, strong opinion event.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Definitely feeling like I’m missing out on this
My son got in on gme but not early enough or with enough “investment “ to make too much, but still glad he got in.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A hedge fund made a massive bet against Game Stop. This bet is called a short sale, and involves selling a stock and then buying it later (covering it) after it has lost value. So you sell for $50 and then cover for $40.

WallStreetBets reddit checked fundamentals of how much Game Stop was sold short, how much was outstanding, etc. and basically reached a consensus to have a buying spree of Game Stop stock, betting against this hedge fund's bet.

This hedge fund, Mervin Capital, has needed $3B in infusions.

And so because everyone fucking hates hedge funds, and soooo much Game Stop was sold short, it has become a high profile, strong opinion event.
Did the little guy make money?

Did the Wall Street fat cats loose money?

Did I miss the stoke boat again because I'm out of the loop?

Reactions: hal9000

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Robinhood just cut off buying for GME, NOK, and AMC. They are helping the hedge fund guys by blocking the retailers. Amazing plebs still use that platform but I get it. They are easy to use for noobs.

AAL, AMC, GME, NOK all gonna be movers today. Lots of premarket activity this morning. Which direction tho?

Reactions: Ifallalot

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Robinhood just cut off buying for GME, NOK, and AMC. They are helping the hedge fund guys by blocking the retailers. Amazing plebs still use that platform but I get it. They are easy to use for noobs.

AAL, AMC, GME, NOK all gonna be movers today. Lots of premarket activity this morning.
I just posted that my son bought gme
He used robinhood

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. Did the little guy make money?

2. Did the Wall Street fat cats loose money?

3. Did I miss the stoke boat again because I'm out of the loop?
1. If they already sold, which isn't really the point

2. They might, and they've had to allocate a shitload of it just to keep from loosing.

3. Do you hate hedge funds shorting more than 100% of a given company's value? If so, no, you did not necessarily miss the stoke boat.

If you buy GME today, consider it vigilante SEC action, not a zero-risk long position.

I just posted that my son bought gme
He used robinhood
You posted that before 9am Eastern and it just opened. What r32 is saying is the online brokerages have only just started not allowing trades. So Tuesday was probably play ball. Wednesday I think it started, and now more online brokerages aren't going to let the longs support the stock.

Can't have some multi-millionaire lose at a rigged game where the rank-and-file are all willing to set a G or two on fire just to watch a rotten whale explode. Oh no no no no no.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
1. If they already sold, which isn't really the point

2. They might, and they've had to allocate a shitload of it just to keep from loosing.

3. Do you hate hedge funds shorting more than 100% of a given company's value? If so, no, you did not necessarily miss the stoke boat.

If you buy GME today, consider it vigilante SEC action, not a zero-risk long position.

You posted that before 9am Eastern and it just opened. What r32 is saying is the online brokerages have only just started not allowing trades. So Tuesday was probably play ball. Wednesday I think it started, and now more online brokerages aren't going to let the longs support the stock.

Can't have some multi-millionaire lose at a rigged game where the rank-and-file are all willing to set a G or two on fire just to watch a rotten whale explode. Oh no no no no no.
cue up the exploding whale in Oregon Video!

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof and JBerry