Home gym

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Oh all knowledgeable erbb....

I'm thinking of getting a heavy bag for my house, just to hit, kick, stay in shape kinda stuff. I mean, most of us are obese, right? So, what say you... Are the big heavy bags that hang from ceiling/metal frame good? Or, are those freestanding cylindrical bags good? What about the ones that look like torsos, complete with the head?

Surf related because it keeps you in good surfing shape and I know there are erbbs that are knowledgable in these matters!

Thank you!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Broke my everlast freestanding heavy bag within 4 months but reinforced with four aluminum post and gorilla tape at base. I had bag full of sand at around 300lbs so far holding up after I done upgrade almost two years ago. Speed bag is also super fun once ya get it down and learn how to hit it right. I use jump rope, speedbag, and heavy bag each for a minute between sets and do six sets.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
DISCLAIMER: I am only a tough guy on the internets, so take my advice as it pertains to martial arts training with a grain of salt.

This is my set up:

Ceiling mounted is better than a floor stand if you are able to mount into a beam, double end to an anchor or floor mount is optimal. Most floor stand bags top out around 5'9"ish, so for me at 6'3" it's like training to punch someone substantially shorter than me :roflmao: Although smaller guys may be more likely to start a fight with someone my size just to prove something, so maybe there is something practical to training for situations like that, but I digress :hat: But in all seriousness, hanging from the ceiling gives you a wider and more realistic strike zone range.

Also, the ceiling mount will be more stable where you strike, while floor stand bags will arc down when you punch them, some a lot more than you want. You can't go in and wail on them and do combos like you would a ceiling mount bag because you are waiting for them to rebound. Double end is optimal because you can reduce the swinging at the bottom by anchoring it down.

The smaller double ends are fun and more for accuracy and timing I usually switch between the two when the heavy bag wears me down or I start to get bored. If you go hard you will be breaking a sweat in no time :computer:

The Outslayer bags have pretty solid reviews on Amazon and I've been happy with them, so far so good :shrug:

skibz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 31, 2011
Diggin' that setup grapedrink! :jam_on:

Great use of space :shaka:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
FecalFace said:
If you think a punching bag will cure your obesity, you 'll need to read up on all that fitness stuff a bit more. :smile2:
According to the recent surfer weight thread, if you are over 180 pounds you are obese, regardless of your height or muscle mass :roflmao: :computer:

mahoa

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 31, 2008
I made my own TRX from some rope I found washed up on the beach & some pvc that i found in the garage. Hung from a tree in the backyard, works great! So much you can do with that one piece of equipment.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
grapedrink said:
DISCLAIMER: I am only a tough guy on the internets, so take my advice as it pertains to martial arts training with a grain of salt.

This is my set up:

Ceiling mounted is better than a floor stand if you are able to mount into a beam, double end to an anchor or floor mount is optimal. Most floor stand bags top out around 5'9"ish, so for me at 6'3" it's like training to punch someone substantially shorter than me :roflmao: Although smaller guys may be more likely to start a fight with someone my size just to prove something, so maybe there is something practical to training for situations like that, but I digress :hat: But in all seriousness, hanging from the ceiling gives you a wider and more realistic strike zone range.

Also, the ceiling mount will be more stable where you strike, while floor stand bags will arc down when you punch them, some a lot more than you want. You can't go in and wail on them and do combos like you would a ceiling mount bag because you are waiting for them to rebound. Double end is optimal because you can reduce the swinging at the bottom by anchoring it down.

The smaller double ends are fun and more for accuracy and timing I usually switch between the two when the heavy bag wears me down or I start to get bored. If you go hard you will be breaking a sweat in no time :computer:

The Outslayer bags have pretty solid reviews on Amazon and I've been happy with them, so far so good :shrug:
That pic rocks! I knew I should have got a bigger house!

skibz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 31, 2011
Do you have room for battle ropes? If so, pretty easy install and is great cardio.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
skibz said:
Do you have room for battle ropes? If so, pretty easy install and is great cardio.
Battle Ropes!!!!!! That is really cool too! I will look into these!

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
definitely ceiling hung. check out the water filled bags. i have (in storage, one of the only nagatives to van life) a water filled bag which has foam as well. so you hit the soft foam and then theres a water filled cylinder in the middle. i was just boxing when i used it though and always wore 16 oz gloves. not sure how theyd stand up to kicking.

and its a hell of a workout. nothing compares imo. check out 'box like the pro's' by joe frazier. a good workout for me is 5 minutes skip rope, 10 push ups, 20 squats, 50 bicycle crunches. repeat all that three times. then shadow box hands only one round, then hands and knees, then hands knees and feet. still no breaks between any of this... first break there. then hit the bag, another few rounds of all that. theres some other drills you can do specific to muay thai and boxing without any weights req'd that will kick your ass and leave you ripped. solid diet, good rest, and some of that sh!t.

of course now i just ride my bike and meditate :X

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
grapedrink said:
FecalFace said:
If you think a punching bag will cure your obesity, you 'll need to read up on all that fitness stuff a bit more. :smile2:
According to the recent surfer weight thread, if you are over 180 pounds you are obese, regardless of your height or muscle mass :roflmao: :computer:
grapedrink for president! :jam_on: :beer:

We need to hook for fitness and surf bra!

#neverFECALFITNESS :roflmao: