Hilary, wind, rain, swell?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
So socal and baja peeps are you doing anything to get ready for the winds and rain from Hilary? TFAD and I live in the same zone and both of our houses are in the lowest part of our respective blocks and can be prone to flooding during major rain events. I'm clearing my drains and have 2 pumps at the ready if needed. I'm hoping the ground is dry enough and my drainage is dialed in so I won't need the pumps. I've been trimming some of my palms, took down all my patio umbrellas, zip tied some of my bamboo fencing, getting anything that will blow around stored up.
Got some fish at Pelly's and a nice bottle of Chamucos anejo, I'm hoping the hype machine is bigger than the reality.
I’m on a small hill so I don’t worry at all about street flooding but my backyard is walled in with only two ineffective drains. I had ankle deep water back there in the worst of this winters rains but it usually gets soaked up by my lawn in a couple hours. Only real concern is I have a couple windows that leaked a bit this past winter that I’m not 100% confident that I’ve fully resolved. I went out yesterday and touched up some caulk and ran some water through my gutters.

also have a leak in my garage along the easement wall of my neighbors yard. Need to pour a new footing that’s not in the current budget. That was manageable all winter so I’m not worried about that. It’s just some water on a cement floor. I have a barrier set up to keep it contained and it dries quick if I leave my door open for a day.

Other than that I restocked depleted water in my earthquake kit and charged all my batteries and filled my gas tank. I’m not too worried but it’s a good excuse to get all my emergency supplies in line just in case.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
This will be the most over hyped weather “event” in my lifetime.
Most likely yes. But keep in mind the Lahaina fires were fueled by winds from a Hurricane that never even hit hawaii. I’m more concerned with angelenos inability to drive in rain and local emergency services not accustomed to dealing with this type of storm than I am of the storm itself.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Most likely yes. But keep in mind the Lahaina fires were fueled by winds from a Hurricane that never even hit hawaii. I’m more concerned with angelenos inability to drive in rain and local emergency services not accustomed to dealing with this type of storm than I am of the storm itself.
Um, it has rained in so cal before. In fact we just had a pretty wet winter.

This storm will drop 0.5 in on LA. If that.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Just got done bodysurfing Coronado with my cousin. Swell starting to hit now.

Heading back north in a couple hours. SB could be good or total sh!t.
How was the water qual? Hope you don't get an ear infection. You didn't miss nuthin' up here.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
youd think with how many people were at ralphs yesterday it was covid all over again. people just throwing money away. so far light drizzle up here. waves were funish this a.m. in north oc. kinda walled tho.

should see the worst of it this afternoon?