Help pick my next Boar!

Apr 11, 2012
Coastal
Been riding the 5'6 Von Flying Manta exclusively I need a board to cover chest high up to head and half and will hold in a fast barrell and have that Manta instant on speed!

Currently considering-

Pyzel Phantom round tail stock- 5'11

Pyzel Ghost stock- 6'1 or 6'2

Other options would be going the custom route with Von S. and just seeing what he recommends. What say you ERBB brain trust?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve never manta’d but I’ve seen them in real life. The 2 boards you list are a massive departure from what you’re currently surfing.

ask VS what they would recommend. That’s the safest bet.

Reactions: Aruka and bengiw

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
ya, avoid a big von-departure from ur current boar. manta is the fastest loosest boar in my quiver. makes everything feel slow and stiff. maybe a standard shadow would be the call as twin+trailer. and then a time machine or st like that. ask oceanslide he is the resident von sold expert.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Been riding the 5'6 Von Flying Manta exclusively I need a board to cover chest high up to head and half and will hold in a fast barrell and have that Manta instant on speed!

Currently considering-

Pyzel Phantom round tail stock- 5'11

Pyzel Ghost stock- 6'1 or 6'2

Other options would be going the custom route with Von S. and just seeing what he recommends. What say you ERBB brain trust?
Where do you surf? What are the waves like? What kinds of boards do you like to ride? HPSB or alternative craft?

Reactions: bengiw
Apr 11, 2012
Coastal
Where do you surf? What are the waves like? What kinds of boards do you like to ride? HPSB or alternative craft?
[/QUOTE

Surf is typically small and cold so the Manta and wide tailed fish work well a majority of the time. Looking for a board that works on those few days a year when things get just overhead and hollow. Also looking for some familarty between boards as the Manta is just so easy and predictable to ride at this point it makes all my HPSB boars feel like crap. Me 5'10 185 wearing 5mil and booties year round surfing for 20+ years.

Apr 11, 2012
Coastal
ya, avoid a big von-departure from ur current boar. manta is the fastest loosest boar in my quiver. makes everything feel slow and stiff. maybe a standard shadow would be the call as twin+trailer. and then a time machine or st like that. ask oceanslide he is the resident von sold expert.
Do you feel the OG Von Shadow can hold in hollow surf??

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Nothing felt like the Manta I had. Trickiest board I think i've owned for quickly switching off it to another more standard board on bigger days. Always took me a while to readjust. It was the only reason I got rid of mine. I'd say talk with VS and ask him what he recommends to step up to from that. Pyzels feel nothing like that thing, haha

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Lost Subdriver 2.0 or another Von Sol, like the Hornet.

Since you ride a Manta exclusively, I'm not sure about a Ghost, which is true good wave board and which works in the exact opposite conditions you're probably surfing. Like someone said, since you dig Von Sol, I would just talk to Sean about his recommendations.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Do you feel the OG Von Shadow can hold in hollow surf??
Shadow has very low rocker throughout. There are better options for hollow surf. What kind of hollow surf are you talking about? Newport, OBSF, Haw., something else?

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Shadow has very low rocker throughout. There are better options for hollow surf. What kind of hollow surf are you talking about? Newport, OBSF, Haw., something else?
oh thought he was talking about oceanside hollow surf lolz. my bad.

ya, shadow wont work in real hollow surf. too flat

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Nice what range surf does the Hornet work best for you?
that roundpin I posted isn't mine - but I had a standard rounded squash tail version that I rode at my height in overhead San Diego county surf without a problem. Not really barreling or hollow conditions though. I liked the red fiberglass stiletto quads in it

Reactions: Havoc

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'd probably stay away from the traditional HPSB, including the ghost, unless you specifically want to move in that direction.

And instead, head more towards the alternative step up shapes (e.g. whatever von sol recommends, MC shiva) or whatever else catches your eye.

Anything in that realm is going to feel noticeably faster if you're used to relying on trim / width for speed compared to the ghost which still requires knowing how to surf a thruster effectively. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
IMO, if you want to go from a Manta to something else, you're not going to want to jump up to a step up. I would look in the direction of an all-around type board that can work in conditions where the Manta starts to max out and beyond.

I ride a GMM2 as a groveler and it's also an hp mini-simmons inspired shape with a wide tail. My next board up is a Haydenshapes Untitled. I've found transitions to be really easy between those two boards. Plus the Untitled has a pretty good upper range and can handle a barreling wave. Not sure where you live, but you might be able to demo one before you buy just to make sure it fits you well.

If you do end up buying, I highly suggest going with a custom in Future Flex and adding some color to it so it doesn't yellow over time.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
more I think about it, dood needs a nice HP egg. something like a GH, for example.

round pin twin @6’6-6’10 length, as well.

stay away from the HPSB. Not a smooth transition from your DD.