Hecho a mano en Nica!!!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Nice shape. How much is a new epoxy in Nica, if you don't mind my asking?
$575 USD .... i normally head back to the states to pick up new boards with the hassle of traveling these days - didn't want to deal with it ... so decided to give a local shaper a try. There are only two people in the country that i know of making boards .... the quality, craftsmanship of this board appears to be on par with anything i've picked up in the states. I have seen GA's boards around - they looked pretty good ... i sent him a couple photo examples of what i was looking for .... he pretty much nailed it. It took a little over a month from the time i ordered it.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Is the shaper Nica or an ex pat?
He's Nicaraguan. From what i can tell on social media has been shaping for several years. His shop/operation is pretty solid. Biggest issue he faces is getting materials ... customs has been cracking down ... was telling me today that one of his suppliers of US Blanks - shut down their business ... sounded like most of his materials is coming in through Costa Rica.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
First session this morning .... head high - glassy .... went well. I could feel the difference with the channels on the first wave - long left - on the backhand side .... extra bite/grip. Didn't have as much drive as i thought it would ... was running a Greenough 4A 7.5" positioned all the way forward in the box. I have a Bonzer 7.0" fin on hand - may give that a try manana or move the Greenough fin back.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Second session this morning ... went with the Bonzer 7.0" fin set 5 3/4" from tail (recommended starting point - Campbell Bros). Spot - was a right hand sand bottom point ... chest to head high - good condition - barrels - solo session. To be honest have never had much luck with the Bonzer fin and today was no different. Board paddles fine but when paddling for a wave or actually on a wave felt like i had the parking brake on. I had one wave - coming off the bottom was going to do a carve off the lip - at the apex of my turn - completely stopped - lost all momentum and basically just hung in the lip. So thinking maybe with the channels and light weight of the board ... too much fin - too much drag. Gonna try going the other direction - have a 6.5" Skip Frye fin - has a narrow profile and and a slightly narrower base going to give it a try next.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Third time is a charm ... the Skip Frye 6.5" fin postioned in the center of the box did the trick. Epic session .... board goes more like a HPSB - than a traditional single fin. Reminds a lot of a Buckley 6'7" round pin step-up i used to have. Interesting thing with the light weight of the board - after 3 straight days of 3 hour sessions and long paddles, duck dives, etc. ... feeling pretty good .... not nearly as trashed as i normally would be.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Second session this morning ... went with the Bonzer 7.0" fin set 5 3/4" from tail (recommended starting point - Campbell Bros). Spot - was a right hand sand bottom point ... chest to head high - good condition - barrels - solo session. To be honest have never had much luck with the Bonzer fin and today was no different. Board paddles fine but when paddling for a wave or actually on a wave felt like i had the parking brake on. I had one wave - coming off the bottom was going to do a carve off the lip - at the apex of my turn - completely stopped - lost all momentum and basically just hung in the lip. So thinking maybe with the channels and light weight of the board ... too much fin - too much drag. Gonna try going the other direction - have a 6.5" Skip Frye fin - has a narrow profile and and a slightly narrower base going to give it a try next.
5-3/4" is for bonzer concave and 3&5 fin set ups so just running single fin bonzer fin sounds like you need to move fin up. Bring small screw driver and adjust by 3/4" inch until you find sweet spot. Then mark with permanent marker:shaka:

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
5-3/4" is for bonzer concave and 3&5 fin set ups so just running single fin bonzer fin sounds like you need to move fin up. Bring small screw driver and adjust by 3/4" inch until you find sweet spot. Then mark with permanent marker:shaka:
Thanks - i will keep that info for future reference ... as i posted previously ... the 6.5" Skip Frye fin i tried after the Bonzer fin ... was spot on - going to stick with it for the next session. Getting a new swell - on Wednesday - Magic Seaweed is forcasting 5'-7' for Thursday which translates to a couple feet overhead .... so far have been on the board in chest to head high conditions looking forward to seeing how the board goes with a little more size/energy in the water.

20210815_095638.jpg