Headlight bulbs.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Looking for a longer lasting headlight bulb. Any recommendations?

My car is a pain in da izzass to change the headlight bulbs. No access from the hood, you have to pull the wheel well liner. Anyone have a bulb that lasts? It's probably a bit longer, but I feel like I'm maybe getting a 7 or 8 months out of Sylvania bulbs. I've bought all of their models from the cheap to the more expensive ones. They all suck. I install them with gloves on so I'm not getting oil on the bulb. Anyone have a recommendation? How about LED? I don't know anything about them. Is LED a direct swap or is it more complicated? My vehicle take H7 bulbs. Thanks.

Some headlights for yo troubles.

Last edited:

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I'll probably just try some other brand halogen, but if anyone is interested in LED's I thought this vid was informative.

If you don't want to watch the Cliff Notes are:
Cheap led's can't dissipate heat and will fail quickly
External driver (attached by a short wire, rather than in the body of the bulb) is better since it's away from the bulb's heat
Pick a bulb with a proper heatsink/fan
Pick a led that mimic the bulb you already have

Last edited:

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Looking for a longer lasting headlight bulb. Any recommendations?

My car is a pain in da izzass to change the headlight bulbs. No access from the hood, you have to pull the wheel well liner. Anyone have a bulb that lasts? It's probably a bit longer, but I feel like I'm maybe getting a 7 or 8 months out of Sylvania bulbs. I've bought all of their models from the cheap to the more expensive ones. They all suck. I install them with gloves on so I'm not getting oil on the bulb. Anyone have a recommendation? How about LED? I don't know anything about them. Is LED a direct swap or is it more complicated? My vehicle take H7 bulbs. Thanks.

Some headlights for yo troubles.

What kind of Gypsy carriage do you drive? Pull the wheel well? Unfortunately all of the new cars have day time running lights (drl) per congress a few years back. Halogens are the best and have a good color temp but their brightness slowly diminishes since they are on all of the time with your drls. Hallgens slowly go dull and you dont really notice it, and then you go holy sheet they look like candles. As you saw in that video, leds need to have the proper length, focal beam, etc or they will not illuminate the same if you just shove them in a halogen lens housing. might even melt it or blind oncoming cops because the beam pattern changes. It requires experimentation. LED color temps arent as pleasing on the eye either. Although they appear brighter they are not necessarily easier for the eye to perceive depth and definition. As a reference, halogen need more amps but a lot of the offroad goons still prefer halogen and they just add a high amperage alternators to their rigs- I know, not like your going to add a high amp alternator to your daily hoopty.

In CA its also illegal to put a LED bulb in your headlight if it was stock designed for a halogens. This is because the beam pattern changes with a LED bulb and blinds oncoming drivers. Usually not something a cop is going to stop you for especially if you are driving a newer car. Put LEDs in a 95 Corolla and see what happens.

Much shorter lasting headlights has been a big complaint on all of the cars with halogens since they mandated drls. Jury is still out on efficacy of visibility with leds but they know that they blind oncoming drivers more than halogen. See what the other gypsies in your camp say.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I always have people flashing their lights at me because when I got this vehicle it was my first with really bright lights, higher than many vehicles too and people thought I had high beams on. As someone who is a little older, doesn't see well especially at night and was fairly accustomed to driving lower cars I hated these lights and vowed to change them out for the old fashioned yellowish headlights.

I didn't. My eyes got worse, (I would expect I stopped paying attention to vision the same way and just assume I'm surrounded by dark people wearing black on scooters and weed, but I regress you know, KARMA and all that) I love my headlights which are adjusted properly. I've learned to direct them away from approaching traffic on the dark narrow rural roads at night, I think it helps a little.

Lately, people have begun to flash lights more often again, even in the city so I thought "Great I have a light out?" But I don't.

I guess it's trending modern frustrations of others finding their way in toward my delicate overly sensitive and probably still half stoned psyche.

I read your posts and looked up how to change the headlights on my vehicle on YouTube and fuh that!

I hate paying money for this stupid stuff, but I guess it's I who's stupid, but I'm not doing that. Infact the first one I watched he left out a LOT of little removal processes then I saw the one who didn't leave it out. Fuh that, and I don't think I need the 43% brighter bulbs... At half blind, it's only 21.5% anyway but that would be cruel to others full strength like no? And weed.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've had good luck with the standard Philips halogen bulbs. My last set lasted 4 years.

I use the H9's though that are made in Germany. It looks like the standard H7's are made in China.

However, these Vision Plus Philips are made in Germany and might be worth a shot:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
people flash me all the time thinking my high beams are on. one lady yelled at me out her window - i was like what do you wanrt me to do? these headlights came with the car - should i drive around in the dark?
I get it, but out of all the things on vehicles they regulate for "safety" why haven't they regulated these ultra bright headlights?

They do look like high beams and if the vehicle is oncoming and your windshield is a little dirty inside or out the light scatters and can be blinding.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It's probably a bit longer, but I feel like I'm maybe getting a 7 or 8 months out of Sylvania bulbs.
that’s odd. makes me think electrical issue.

are you handy with a multimeter? light reading says variable voltage supply makes bulbs pop early.

how’s your alternator, do your headlights get brighter when you rev the engine, or dim when you turn on the wipers or blast the radio?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I get it, but out of all the things on vehicles they regulate for "safety" why haven't they regulated these ultra bright headlights?

They do look like high beams and if the vehicle is oncoming and your windshield is a little dirty inside or out the light scatters and can be blinding.
agreed - but i dont think its the brightness solely - its the angles at which they are pointed, plus the extra lums.. since most cars on the road are sitting a bit higher than in the past.

i have a compact "SUV" basically an overstated station wagon.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I've given it a lot of thought. It is definitely dangerous but once you get used to them yourself :monkey: . Just kidding I feel really bad sometimes because even being up higher I get blinded by others and you can't convince me there isn't more than a few people out there who want brighter and higher, yet unfortunately misaligned lights just to out do the other atholes.

I'm impressed with those of you removing all that stuff and learning the ins and outs of headlights.

I'd pay you at least 50% of what I will soon pay the dealership to change mine before I get pulled over at probably a bad time (karma and all that).

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I've had good luck with the standard Philips halogen bulbs. My last set lasted 4 years.

I use the H9's though that are made in Germany. It looks like the standard H7's are made in China.

However, these Vision Plus Philips are made in Germany and might be worth a shot:

Thanks. Was going to try some other brands, so I'll give those phillips a try.

Reactions: jkb

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
that’s odd. makes me think electrical issue.

are you handy with a multimeter? light reading says variable voltage supply makes bulbs pop early.

how’s your alternator, do your headlights get brighter when you rev the engine, or dim when you turn on the wipers or blast the radio?
I don't think I've had any dimming issues. I'll check tonight though. I don't own a multi meter, but I'll see if I can track one down. Do I test right at the headlight plug? What voltage drop would be considered too much? Or is any at all a sign of issue?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
What kind of Gypsy carriage do you drive? Pull the wheel well? Unfortunately all of the new cars have day time running lights (drl) per congress a few years back. Halogens are the best and have a good color temp but their brightness slowly diminishes since they are on all of the time with your drls. Hallgens slowly go dull and you dont really notice it, and then you go holy sheet they look like candles. As you saw in that video, leds need to have the proper length, focal beam, etc or they will not illuminate the same if you just shove them in a halogen lens housing. might even melt it or blind oncoming cops because the beam pattern changes. It requires experimentation. LED color temps arent as pleasing on the eye either. Although they appear brighter they are not necessarily easier for the eye to perceive depth and definition. As a reference, halogen need more amps but a lot of the offroad goons still prefer halogen and they just add a high amperage alternators to their rigs- I know, not like your going to add a high amp alternator to your daily hoopty.

In CA its also illegal to put a LED bulb in your headlight if it was stock designed for a halogens. This is because the beam pattern changes with a LED bulb and blinds oncoming drivers. Usually not something a cop is going to stop you for especially if you are driving a newer car. Put LEDs in a 95 Corolla and see what happens.

Much shorter lasting headlights has been a big complaint on all of the cars with halogens since they mandated drls. Jury is still out on efficacy of visibility with leds but they know that they blind oncoming drivers more than halogen. See what the other gypsies in your camp say.
It's a Mazda. Old enough to not have DRL. It has been a great car though, but dang HL bulb change is a pain. You just have to pull the wheel well liner which is kept in place by those plastic rivets. Thankfully I was smart enough to buy a bag of 100 of those things on amazon a few years back. If you don't remove the tire, you can't get to all the rivets but you can losen the liner enough to get your arm in. It's one of those things though where once you put your hand in up towards the back of the housing you can no longer see what you're doing. So you have to take a look and then try to just feel for landmarks with your fingers. It was a real motherflipper doing it this morning with numb cold fingers.

Not sure if it's in the video I posted above, since I watched a few last night, but they echoed what you said about heat and changing pattern. That's when you really start blinding oncoming drivers.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
people flash me all the time thinking my high beams are on. one lady yelled at me out her window - i was like what do you wanrt me to do? these headlights came with the car - should i drive around in the dark?
Every once in a while I have to drive a ford transit for my job. Get at least 4 or 5 high beam flashes every time I'm out at night. I'll give a lil' flash back to hopefully let them know I'm not driving w/high beams on.

I've definitely been on the receiving end too. Bad enough where I'll hold my hand up and try to block the light source enough to still see what's ahead of me.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I don't think I've had any dimming issues. I'll check tonight though. I don't own a multi meter, but I'll see if I can track one down. Do I test right at the headlight plug? What voltage drop would be considered too much? Or is any at all a sign of issue?
autozone/etc maybe could hook you up and you do this in their parking lot. no idea if they still lend stuff for a DL.