Hawaii's Beaches Are Disappearing

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"Only an idiot builds a house on the beach." - Jesus H. Christ

Obviously in this case the coastal armoring is making the beaches disappear.

But tying into this topic - nothing annoys the F*CK out of me more than when arrogant humans start whining about "beaches disappearing" from typical coastal erosion as if it's something that isn't normal/natural. The beaches only started to "disappear" after man decided to encroach upon them with structures and roads thinking foolishly the ocean wasn't going to win. It always wins.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

But tying into this topic - nothing annoys the F*CK out of me more than when arrogant humans start whining about "beaches disappearing" from typical coastal erosion as if it's something that isn't normal/natural. The beaches only started to "disappear" after man decided to encroach upon them with structures and roads thinking foolishly the ocean wasn't going to win. It always wins.
Yes, but it is super nice to live right on the beach.

• Dislike
Reactions: casa_mugrienta
Oct 18, 2020
PNW
With the huge influx of wealthy folks moving to Hawaii there will be a big
demand for water front housing, this will only get much worse , county politicians
will see only dollars...fu*k the environment . Sad for sure

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Same in CA. - campus point/goleta beach, leadbetter, c-street, pt hueneme, broads, etc etc. Seawalls/barriers kill beaches.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

Our sea levels are rising, too. I know this is hard for you, but several things can actually be true at once.

Last edited:

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
when not having oceanfront properties is the name of the game... volcom houses selling for grains of the sand for the dollar.

Oct 18, 2020
PNW
Maybe some of these pretentious wealthy environmentalist folk
moving to the Islands will walk the talk and not buy water front..?
ya right :(

Reactions: mundus

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Hawaii needs to do what the Costa Ricans did. They adopted a 200 meter set back for coastal construction. It blows my mind that we still allow people to build right up to the water's edge, given that we have literally decades of historical knowledge to demonstrate how damaging that is to the beaches--even BEFORE sea level rise was a thing on our radar.

it's so incredibly short sighted.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hawaii needs to do what the Costa Ricans did. They adopted a 200 meter set back for coastal construction. It blows my mind that we still allow people to build right up to the water's edge, given that we have literally decades of historical knowledge to demonstrate how damaging that is to the beaches--even BEFORE sea level rise was a thing on our radar.

it's so incredibly short sighted.
If you have enough money and connections you can do what you want.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
If you have enough money and connections you can do what you want.

Which is exactly the problem. States need to adopt rules re: costal development. It is for the good of all, even the rich.

And I know how local governments and land use issues work.

Reactions: Mr Doof