Hawaii vacation

Apr 22, 2005
California
I'm new posting here, and I'll try not to sound like a pathetic groupie, but I'm planning a Hawaii trip in the next six months and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for when I should come for the best observing of breaks like North Shore and Peahi. I know swells are unpredictable, but a ballpark estimate and suggestions of places to stay would be much appreciated.

And as I don't drive, maybe someone would have an idea of how I could find someone to drive me around (for money, of course)? Thanks...

chauser

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 24, 2004
NJ
I'm making the trip to Oahu next month for a few weeks. If money isnt an issue for you, there are a ton of hotels that you can pick from. However, if you are like me and would rather save your money and put it towards better things, you should look into staying at a hostel. Thats what I'm doing while I'm there. Around 20 bucks per person a night.
I guess the best time for surf are the winter months. Thats when the NS is at its best. I'll be there in a few weeks so I'm hoping for some good south swell. Theres a ton of info on vacationing in HI...just do a search on the BB or google or something.

Theres a hostel on the NS called Backpackers I think. I looked into it and it looks like a good place. Also, there is cheap bus transportation around the island of Oahu.

shareensboi

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 26, 2004
da burbs
backpackers is cool..right there near waimea bay..but it'll be probably lame in the summer as the waves take a vacation..the hostels on lemon road are cool (waikiki beachside is the dopespot)..close to waikiki and diamond head..free shuttle from the airport..
aloha

Apr 22, 2005
California
Thanks, both of you! I did some looking around and now I figure I'd like to do Maui, Kauai and North Shore Oahu in December or January. Hopefully I'll get to see some good swells, at least, if not actually ride any...I'm not that good, unfortunately.

There are a few little cottages I found online, near Paia on Maui and Waimea on the North Shore, for surprisingly less money than I thought, so maybe that would be a practical thing, to rent one for a week.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Paia is a great place to stay, but not really near any major surfspots, except bodysurfing's BaldwinPark.
Hookipa is about 2 miles up the road, Jaws maybe 9. You can hitchhike Maui easier than any other Island. Safest rides from windsurfers, as most are yuppies at home.
Very long hitch to Honolua.
Wiamea is near the center of attraction, but still a couple miles from Chuns/Lani and couple 3 in the opposite direction from Pipe/OTW's, and one more to Sunset. Watch yourself a little hitching in Oahu.
Winter good, you'll have a great time, but watch your back.

Apr 22, 2005
California
Thanks, LeeD! I hadn't planned on hitching, but now that you mention it...I'll be careful. No buses along Maui North Shore, it seems...

Is there anyplace to stay closer to Peahi than Paia? I'll keep Googling...but Paia seems like a very cool town...the only other time I was ever on Maui I spent all my time in Hana. Wasn't into surfing then, but my it was beautiful over there.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Peahi is upcountry, so well to do with big expensive homes, locals about to sell their shacks, are prevelant.
When in Paia, look at the grocery store bulletin boards about places to stay.
If you need a job, go up the road towards the crater and that cool weather town. They always need restaurant and B&B staff.
Jaws breaks maybe 6 days a year most years, sometimes none.