That places the forward base area where it basiclly makes that area ineffective

A well designed fin planes and holds at the base and releases above that

Everyone has felt that Planing effect when doing floaters

Planing on large tips with nothing at the base is not what you want

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
had a couple rode them primarily as 2+1s on longboards in the 90s we used to use those squirrels too. Johnny Rice has a version for longboards.

View attachment 105657

View attachment 105658

View attachment 105659

View attachment 105660

View attachment 105661

View attachment 105662
As mentioned in the OP - single hatchet fins have been around awhile. One notable difference i see is with the length of the single hatchet fin - the premise of the hatchet part of the fin sitting deeper in the water below the turbulence makes sense. With the twin/quad sets - the fins are obviously not as long - so it would seem that the premise of sitting deeper in the water would not make as much sense or be as effective.

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You have to place these large tips where they will release

That places the forward base area where it basiclly makes that area ineffective

A well designed fin planes and holds at the base and releases above that

Everyone has felt that Planing effect when doing floaters

Planing on large tips with nothing at the base is not what you want
Have you ever stopped to consider that people like a variety of different feels out of their surfboards?

My Vaquero for example. The fin it came with is great. The Greenough 4A on it is great. The Power Blade fin is great.

All feel different. All feel great. I happen to like the way the power blade feels the best.

Why is this a problem?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Have you ever stopped to consider that people like a variety of different feels out of their surfboards?

My Vaquero for example. The fin it came with is great. The Greenough 4A on it is great. The Power Blade fin is great.

All feel different. All feel great. I happen to like the way the power blade feels the best.

Why is this a problem?
Very established shapers tend to have very strong opinions.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

Why is this a problem?
This is Your opinion and reflects Your understanding of design .

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
So Griff, the “opinion” of the end user, the actual buyer/consumer of the product doesn’t matter because of his level of understanding of the design ?

I may not be able to explain why I like a certain board/fin combo, or hell even a specific sandwich but I know what I like and if I’m paying for it, well ........

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
rode some stepanek hatchet twins for a while in a 5'3" fish

had a unique feeling of loading up and releasing that was cool, but not ideal for the beachbreak conditions i was surfing the board in. would try again for point surf

would not say they were groundbreaking

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I've never tried hatchets. But I've never surfed and thought "I wish these fins had LESS base." Within reason of course. I'm never throwing huge keels on a board they don't belong in.

But I'm not a small guy. That's gotta be a huge factor too.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So Griff, the “opinion” of the end user, the actual buyer/consumer of the product doesn’t matter because of his level of understanding of the design ?

I may not be able to explain why I like a certain board/fin combo, or hell even a specific sandwich but I know what I like and if I’m paying for it, well ........
That’s the thing. I can explain why a board works the way it does because I do understand board design.

Can I make a good board that works? Nope.

But I’ve ridden surf boards for 40 years and I’ve always pursued an understanding of my equipment.

Riding a variety of shapes, sometimes radical departures from what’s considered ‘functional’, has been very valuable for me in understanding design applications.

GG makes a board with fins and seems to believe that riding that board with some other fin setup is ‘wrong’. In my mind not trying different fins is wrong. Maybe I’d go back to the fins ‘made for the board’ or maybe a different set works better for me in certain conditions. Either way I‘m going to learn something by experimentation.

Surfing for me is an exploration. It’s about fun. It’s about challenges.

I have a single fin stinger that is incredibly difficult to ride. It’s basically unbalanced (super thick in the front half and thinned out and narrow in the back), a fin box that is fucked up so the fin wiggles around in it and no way to attach a leash.

I like to occasionally take it out at a central reef break when it’s pretty solid and try to figure out how to make it work. The board is an absolute dog but it’s fun as hell to surf.

There is no “right” way.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, Chandler may design for the type of surfing he thinks it the platonic ideal for each board he shapes, but I don't get the "only one way or it's wrong" thinking in surfing. I love the experimentation part of trying new fins and board design details, and feeling the difference. There's surely no objective right/wrong since the type of surfing each person wants to do and the sensations they are after are so subjective. You may think "HP longboarding" is super stylish, while I may think it looks like an abomination. Two of us can ride the same board in the same conditions, but one might prefer more upright fins and the other raked (hello AM sheeple). Why would one be "wrong"?? I've reluctantly put in fins in a board because they were the only ones I had in the car that day which I wouldn't have tried otherwise, and they ended up working so well I haven't taken them out that board.

Back to the topic, I think the idea that the hatchet part needs to be further from the board to be effective makes sense based solely on my own experience. Now that i think about it, the quad/tri seemed like they were getting in their own way sometimes and were confused when they should spring or release during a turn. I've never tried the big twins (instead of keels) or the big single fin, but I could see how that might work better than the smaller ones, or at least more as intended. Might have to try a hatchet single fin in my 8'. Different feels are fun!!!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
rode some stepanek hatchet twins for a while in a 5'3" fish

had a unique feeling of loading up and releasing that was cool, but not ideal for the beachbreak conditions i was surfing the board in. would try again for point surf

would not say they were groundbreaking
Good info - sounds like very familiar feel to flex fins. Personally - i like the feel in certain conditions and would agree not the best choice for beachbreaks.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
That’s the thing. I can explain why a board works the way it does because I do understand board design.

Can I make a good board that works? Nope.

But I’ve ridden surf boards for 40 years and I’ve always pursued an understanding of my equipment.

Riding a variety of shapes, sometimes radical departures from what’s considered ‘functional’, has been very valuable for me in understanding design applications.

GG makes a board with fins and seems to believe that riding that board with some other fin setup is ‘wrong’. In my mind not trying different fins is wrong. Maybe I’d go back to the fins ‘made for the board’ or maybe a different set works better for me in certain conditions. Either way I‘m going to learn something by experimentation.

Surfing for me is an exploration. It’s about fun. It’s about challenges.

I have a single fin stinger that is incredibly difficult to ride. It’s basically unbalanced (super thick in the front half and thinned out and narrow in the back), a fin box that is fucked up so the fin wiggles around in it and no way to attach a leash.

I like to occasionally take it out at a central reef break when it’s pretty solid and try to figure out how to make it work. The board is an absolute dog but it’s fun as hell to surf.

There is no “right” way.
Well said. I see guys riding the same board, with the same fin setup every day regardless of conditions or break .... year after year. If that's they want to do - so be it ....to me ... how f'ing boring that would get at some point. i like riding different boards, different fin setups .... figuring out how they are suppose to be ridden to get the most out of them ... to me a lot more interesting and fun and i think it goes a long way with progressing/expanding your technical surfing ability.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Thats the CNN version

I give the customer the best fins for the board and its design with the board .

They are welcome to move away from that .

Reactions: ReForest